Page 13 of 26 FirstFirst ... 31011121314151623 ... LastLast

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

Re: Time to Send the Grand Canyon Diorama to Yesterland

North of the Rivers of America where it fits into the theme of the area and removes the unsightly (that's my opinion) views of the back of the Fantasyland theater. Maybe if positioned well enough it could even stay open during the fireworks (assuming the new tunnel sheltered it from the fallout of the nine-line). What this would do is allow the backstage area between whatever new land is created and Fantasyland to remain backstage without having any revealing views from the train.

Of course, this all fit too nicely together when my idea was to replace Innoventions with a "Spaceship Earth" style attraction focusing on transportation where the train would enter the showbuilding and become part of the show after the Grand Canyon was moved out of the area.

Quote Originally Posted by fifthrider View Post
    From Daveland:

Painted by Claude Coats on a single piece of seamless, handwoven canvas and representing the view from the canyon's south rim, the rear of the diorama measures 306' long, 34' high, 45' wide and is covered with 300 gallons of paint. The cost was $367,000 and took more than 80,000 labor hours to construct.

Good lord, this was a ton of work and it was all on one SEAMLESS backdrop. ...and someone here wants to replace it?! With what? Some movie tie-in? Although Walt did say Disneyland would never be complete and would always be in some form of transition, it didn't imply that everything had to be changed. There's nothing wrong with leaving some things alone. For that matter I recall some murmuring about turning Main Street from the 1910's into an updated 1950's theme. Blech. Not every change is for the better.
    I don't think he said anything about replacing it. He just said the paint looked faded and could be touched up. A couple of decades under bright stage lights 7 days a week can do that. I wouldn't be against that as long as they don't hire the lady that did this:
    Name:  jesus-painting-0824-art-gf6ivruf-1aptopix-spain-botched-restoration-jpeg-00157.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  136.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by clippers6 View Post
    I don't think he said anything about replacing it. He just said the paint looked faded and could be touched up. A couple of decades under bright stage lights 7 days a week can do that. I wouldn't be against that as long as they don't hire the lady that did this:
    Name:  jesus-painting-0824-art-gf6ivruf-1aptopix-spain-botched-restoration-jpeg-00157.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  136.6 KB
    I wonder when she realized something went very,very wrong?

Wow! The thread that wouldn't die!

And I just resuscitated it.
    Everyone is entitled to an informed opinion.
    Harlan Ellison

I may not be the brightest bulb on the Christmas tree, but I do shine.

Texan by birth, Californian by choice.

There should be a sticky thread called "This Day in Disney History." The company has a long history and this would be a good way to acknowledge it. Walt was born 112 years ago; that's quite a chunk of American history and culture.

• Armchair Imagineer

How about preserving the traditional elements of both the Diorama and Primeval World, but adding some projection special effects like the new Captain Jack Sparrow attraction at Disney Hollywood Studios?

• Parking Lot > DCA

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorQ9 View Post
    How about preserving the traditional elements of both the Diorama and Primeval World, but adding some projection special effects like the new Captain Jack Sparrow attraction at Disney Hollywood Studios?
    Hologram Tupac

• Herr Ducktor!

Folks, it's a diorama. The longest in the world. Quite possibly the best.

If dioramas aren't your thing, skip it. But let it be what it was intended to be.

You know, I'n not into flower arrangement. But I don't think the floral Mickey at the entrance should be "updated" into a digital display panel.

I'm all for "plussing". But plussing doesn't undo the attraction's basic premise.

•   
    • Sponge & A Rusty Spanner

+1

Besides, my pre-schooler LOVES it. Not everything at Disneyland needs to be updated to satisfy smartphone users and their expectations.
    Fight On! Beat the Bulldogs!

Tom Chaney Memorial Debate Lounge Quote of the Week:

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Speaking of "drive-by" my cousin just became the new drummer for -Train-
    This device kills fascists.

Quote Originally Posted by von Drake View Post
    Folks, it's a diorama.
    It's a diorama on a jump on jump off train used to get you around the park. It gets used, a lot. Even it it didn't, it's rider per day numbers really don't matter as the space that it uses would be really difficult to re purpose and dead space is dead space is dead space.

Point is it could be anything in that space where the diorama is, it could be a gorilla with a pipe. So why pump money into updating something so incidental when there isn't an actual problem with what is already there?

• Armchair Imagineer

Quote Originally Posted by drjeep View Post
    It's a diorama on a jump on jump off train used to get you around the park. It gets used, a lot. Even it it didn't, it's rider per day numbers really don't matter as the space that it uses would be really difficult to re purpose and dead space is dead space is dead space.

Point is it could be anything in that space where the diorama is, it could be a gorilla with a pipe. So why pump money into updating something so incidental when there isn't an actual problem with what is already there?
    I like the idea of a "Gorilla with a pipe", but what would he be smoking?

•   
    • Banned User

Gorilla with a pipe....

Hologram Tupac...

The hideous touch up that clippers6 posted a pic of....

This might be my favorite thread of all time.

• -

Quote Originally Posted by drjeep View Post
    it could be a gorilla with a pipe.
    I think he would be better suited to Fantasyland so he can be placed next to the bong smoking caterpillar.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Parking Lot > DCA

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    I think he would be better suited to Fantasyland so he can be placed next to the bong smoking caterpillar.
    Hookah*

• Doombuggy Rider

Quote Originally Posted by Not My Real Name View Post
    Wow! The thread that wouldn't die!

And I just resuscitated it.

This is indeed one of thee hottest debates I've seen in Mice Chat in a while (longer then mermaids coming to Pirates of the Caribbean WDW, just from the amount of pages generated); but it is a debate with merit which involves:

1) one of the longest / largest hand painted murals by an Imagineer
    2) iconic dioramas from an era of discovery via Imagineers
    3) an original means of transportation from Imagineers
    4) continuous education / entertainment factor thanks to Imagineers

I am all for preserving and maintaining vs. changing and ruining any part of the Disneyland Rail Road (and that goes for every part of Disneyland!). I wouldn't mind modern audio animatronics, along with improved audio (as long as the original charm is not ruined), but if your kids can't handle a ride, or attraction? Please look for an alternate, such as the Monorail (unless your kids can't handle heights) ...

Name:  4013193130_9f7e588e11.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  195.3 KB

A perfect example? Mary Blairs tile murals in Tomorrowland (I <3 'd them, I miss them, what they were replaced with was c r a p! I say bring them back even if it means putting them inside Starcade) ...

Mary Blair Tile Murals at Yesterland

C J

I <3 Making Friends Who Share The Same Interests :-)

http://www.facebook.com/darkamor

http://www.twitter.com/darkamor

• Minion

Have any of you considered that maybe the next generation want some new memories that are different from all of yours? Sure, the dioramas are nostalgic and remind you of classic Disneyland but to a five year old, they don't illicit any of those memories or feelings. To this generation of children, it's nothing more than an arguably out-of-place window display. You can't force a part of your culture and memories upon another generation. Call them ADD, call them impatient, call them whatever you want to make yourself seem better and more high-class than them, but the kids and casual visitors today simply may not like the dioramas. Just like the visitors of today are no longer impressed by Soarin'...no one is arguing that Soarin' shouldn't get an upgrade because it's a classic landmark with an impressive musical score, in fact I see quite a bit of the opposite around here.

It's time to move on, folks. I for one, don't think the dioramas hurt anybody but there definitely is an untapped argument here. Disney should be creating new memories for their new visitors to enjoy! And like many of you have said yourselves, if you don't like what's in store, you can always skip it or take a nap

Page 13 of 26 FirstFirst ... 31011121314151623 ... LastLast