Page 14 of 26 FirstFirst ... 41112131415161724 ... LastLast

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Re: Time to Send the Grand Canyon Diorama to Yesterland

^ Wow, I hope today's generation isn't bored with Pirates and Haunted Mansion. I'd hate to have to "move on".

• Parking Lot > DCA

Quote Originally Posted by TylerDurden View Post
    Have any of you considered that maybe the next generation want some new memories that are different from all of yours? Sure, the dioramas are nostalgic and remind you of classic Disneyland but to a five year old, they don't illicit any of those memories or feelings. To this generation of children, it's nothing more than an arguably out-of-place window display. You can't force a part of your culture and memories upon another generation. Call them ADD, call them impatient, call them whatever you want to make yourself seem better and more high-class than them, but the kids and casual visitors today simply may not like the dioramas. Just like the visitors of today are no longer impressed by Soarin'...no one is arguing that Soarin' shouldn't get an upgrade because it's a classic landmark with an impressive musical score, in fact I see quite a bit of the opposite around here.

It's time to move on, folks. I for one, don't think the dioramas hurt anybody but there definitely is an untapped argument here. Disney should be creating new memories for their new visitors to enjoy! And like many of you have said yourselves, if you don't like what's in store, you can always skip it or take a nap
    Untapped how? It's almost unanimous that members here think the diorama should stay. It has made memories for generations and generations and can continue to make more. You're essentially saying: take it out, replace it, and make memories for this and future generations. Yet you don't think that the diorama is doing any harm? You're argument doesn't really stand up. What would be the point of replacing something that is perfectly fine as is?

If you ride the DLRR and dislike the diorama, you can skip it or take a nap because I'm pretty sure it's not going anywhere any time soon.
    Last edited by explodingboy; 11-29-2012 at 10:10 AM.

• Closed Account

Have any of you considered that maybe the next generation want some new memories that are different from all of yours? It's time to move on, folks...Disney should be creating new memories for their new visitors to enjoy!
    Yeah, there are lots of things we could get rid of, in the interest of making new memories. How about leveling that castle-thingy that takes up all that space smack dab in the middle of the place? I never had much interest in it.

• Armchair Imagineer

On a more serious note, what if an updated attraction did replace the Diorama, but the Diorama itself was moved to the Disney Family Museum in San Francisco? Could that be the best of both worlds?

• Closed Account

Um...I'm thinking no.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by explodingboy View Post
    Untapped how? It's almost unanimous that members here think the diorama should stay. It has made memories for generations and generations and can continue to make more. You're essentially saying: take it out, replace it, and make memories for this and future generations. Yet you don't think that the diorama is doing any harm? You're argument doesn't really stand up. What would be the point of replacing something that is perfectly fine as is?

If you ride the DLRR and dislike the diorama, you can skip it or take a nap because I'm pretty sure it's not going anywhere any time soon.
    Personally, I'm fine with it--but I'm not a little kid visiting Disneyland for the first time expecting everything to be cool and realistic and telling a story--sure, the dioramas were impressive when they first debuted, but now the love for them is coming from nostalgia. I'm saying, today's Disneyland visitors that aren't diehard fans having visited for years do not have that nostalgia--we can make new memories for the generation today that is expecting something that hits home for them more.

---------- Post added 11-29-2012 at 12:43 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by aashee View Post
    ^ Wow, I hope today's generation isn't bored with Pirates and Haunted Mansion. I'd hate to have to "move on".
    No because they added Jack Sparrow--you might not like it because it's different from what you're used to but for the kids who are growing up with the movies first, they're going to find something they can relate to in the ride and hits home for the kids who love the movies.

---------- Post added 11-29-2012 at 12:44 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
    Yeah, there are lots of things we could get rid of, in the interest of making new memories. How about leveling that castle-thingy that takes up all that space smack dab in the middle of the place? I never had much interest in it.
    That's a little bit different--that's actually not an intelligent argument at all. The castle is the symbol of Disneyland and it is a scenery piece--the diorama is a part of the train ride...it is not well established and at this point you just want it to stay for your own selfish nostalgic reasons.

• Parking Lot > DCA

Personally, I'm fine with it--but I'm not a little kid visiting Disneyland for the first time expecting everything to be cool and realistic and telling a story--sure, the dioramas were impressive when they first debuted, but now the love for them is coming from nostalgia. I'm saying, today's Disneyland visitors that aren't diehard fans having visited for years do not have that nostalgia--we can make new memories for the generation today that is expecting something that hits home for them more.
    I think you are missing my point though. I am saying that is has been fine for 50+ years. It's made memories for some, it's a cool piece of history for others, some forget about it immediately as soon as they exit the train. Regardless, it's hidden and tucked away not really harming anything. There is no need for it to be enhanced or removed or updated. It still has the ability to captivate children - especially the Primeval World scene. I don't think you need to be a die-hard fan of something for it to make an impression on you.

Why not leave something that is really neat and still after all these years has the ability to make memories (or even bring them back!) for people? At the very worst, someone may get off the train and forget it ever existed. It's literally doing 0 harm to anything, and it's apparent that it's a "crowd" favorite - at least on this forum. On top of that, I haven't heard one good idea for it's replacement if it ever were removed. Knowing some of the people here, they will want something TRON related and then later complain that it's a movie tie-in.

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

I'd like to see it updated with animatronic animals rather than the moldy stuffed kind it has now. Would do a lot to transform the current tableau vivant into something a little more active for modern audiences.
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by explodingboy View Post
    I think you are missing my point though. I am saying that is has been fine for 50+ years. It's made memories for some, it's a cool piece of history for others, some forget about it immediately as soon as they exit the train. Regardless, it's hidden and tucked away not really harming anything. There is no need for it to be enhanced or removed or updated. It still has the ability to captivate children - especially the Primeval World scene. I don't think you need to be a die-hard fan of something for it to make an impression on you.

Why not leave something that is really neat and still after all these years has the ability to make memories (or even bring them back!) for people? At the very worst, someone may get off the train and forget it ever existed. It's literally doing 0 harm to anything, and it's apparent that it's a "crowd" favorite - at least on this forum. On top of that, I haven't heard one good idea for it's replacement if it ever were removed. Knowing some of the people here, they will want something TRON related and then later complain that it's a movie tie-in.
    But that's exactly my point as well! What's the harm in changing it? It's clearly not hitting the right cords anymore--if it was, this thread wouldn't exist, and the accounts of it being made fun of, talked through, and ignored wouldn't be here either. Disneyland is all about being plussed. Innoventions isn't hurting anyone either, it's over in a corner of Tomorrowland, and everybody is eager to change that.

• Tourist

I like the Diorama, and I hope it stays.

One of the things I like about DL is the variety of attractions. The E-ticket rides are great, but it's also fun to at least occasionally enjoy the simpler things, like riding the Main Street vehicles, or walking through Sleeping Beauty's Castle. I don't think every attraction needs to be a modern high-tech thrill.

Riding the DLRR is one of the Magic Kingdom's simple pleasures. The trip through the Diorama is a nice part of it.

• Parking Lot > DCA

But that's exactly my point as well! What's the harm in changing it? It's clearly not hitting the right cords anymore--if it was, this thread wouldn't exist, and the accounts of it being made fun of, talked through, and ignored wouldn't be here either. Disneyland is all about being plussed. Innoventions isn't hurting anyone either, it's over in a corner of Tomorrowland, and everybody is eager to change that.
    Comparing Innoventions to the diorama is not really fair. Innoventions has been awful for a long, long time. And to be honest it is hurting something. Tomorrowland. It's a huge piece of real estate in a busy area. Something better could go there, and the surrounding land would benefit from it, we can all agree on that. They are two totally different things.

Going back to the diorama, sure it's hitting the right chords. Have you read every post in the 14 pages of this thread so far? There are FAR more positive responses and people for keeping it than there are the opposite. Of course not everyone is going to like it. The same can be said for anything, really. That doesn't call for it to be removed/enhanced. If it was seriously hurting the surrounding land (like Innoventions), falling apart, or even if as many people were for the removal/enhancement as for keeping it, maybe I could see your argument stand a bit, but that comparison just doesn't work for me.
    Last edited by explodingboy; 11-29-2012 at 12:47 PM.

I begin many of my vacation trips to DL with a "grand circle tour" on the DLRR as soon as I enter the park. The diorama is just one of those things that slaps me in face and tells me "yep, you're in Disneyland". There's something reassurring about it. Wife hates it though.
    Writing about all things Disney, a couple of paragraphs at a time

http://disneylandtraveler.blogspot.com/

75,000+ page views and counting.

• Closed Account

the diorama is a part of the train ride...it is not well established and at this point you just want it to stay for your own selfish nostalgic reasons.
    "Not well established??" It's been part of the park for over 50 years!! What the heck are you talking about?

Byt the way, Walt was all about nostalgia, so you aren't really insulting me by calling me nostalgic. And I do find it ludicous that you don't think little kids of today can't find magic and memories in the diorama.

• Minion

"Not well established??" It's been part of the park for over 50 years!! What the heck are you talking about?

Byt the way, Walt was all about nostalgia, so you aren't really insulting me by calling me nostalgic. And I do find it ludicous that you don't think little kids of today can't find magic and memories in the diorama.
    I never knew it was there when I first rode it
    It's not advertised heavily in or out of the park
    It's been described as a 'pleasant surprise'...but not a headliner.

The point is, it's not the castle, it's a part of a train ride. And I don't mean to insult you by saying you're nostalgic! But remember the Volkswagen Beetle--it became a symbol of the 1960's...then the New Beetle came out, designed and marketed by the people who had grown up with it and were now corporate suits. They were taking what made their culture special, boxing it up, and re-selling it to the new generation (Fight Club, Tyler Durden, look it up lol).

The dioramas were great in their heyday, but there is no reason to think that something better couldn't be put there, something that is relevant to today and that will hit home with the new generation of young, bright-eyed Disneyland visitors.

• -

Sure, the dioramas are nostalgic and remind you of classic Disneyland but to a five year old, they don't illicit any of those memories or feelings.
    Actually, children like to emulate their parents. Therefore, if they are shown how special the dioramas are at an early age, they will enjoy them just as much as their parents.

To this generation of children, it's nothing more than an arguably out-of-place window display.
    As the parent of one of those five year olds that you are referencing, I can tell you that my son does not look at the dioramas as a window display.

I am also curious as to how you consider them out of place.

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorQ9 View Post
    On a more serious note, what if an updated attraction did replace the Diorama, but the Diorama itself was moved to the Disney Family Museum in San Francisco? Could that be the best of both worlds?
    Um...I'm thinking no.
    I have to agree with Steve on this one. Thatís a horrible compromise.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

Page 14 of 26 FirstFirst ... 41112131415161724 ... LastLast