Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast

• 7/17/2005 I was there!

Re: Time to Send the Grand Canyon Diorama to Yesterland

Quote Originally Posted by clippers6 View Post
    The Primeval World holds up surprisingly well. The Grand Canyon part is the weak link; there is less animation, the background mural lacks depth, and the hokey music doesn't help. I wouldn't mind some updating of the Grand Canyon part and maybe some sort of fiber optic or projection "time travel" effect in the dark part between the two dioramas.
    I don't think Ferde Grofe would call the music hokey.
    I hope the dioramas stay forever. To me the Disneyland R.R. will always be known as The Train That Shows the Dinosaurs.
    "Fantasy, if it's really convincing, can't become dated, for the simple reason that it represents a flight into a dimension that lies beyond the reach of time" Walt Disney

• Mostly Harmless.

I don't know when that train goes back in time it gives me the willys...
    He felt like his life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.
    follow us on Twitter! @MickeyMutineers
    DisregardListen to our podcast on iTunes!

• Disney Fan 4 Life

We like it and our 6 year old loves it, for her it is the highlight of the train ride every time we go! She likes the animals of the grand canyon and the dinosaurs of the back in time portion. There is a hidden mickey on the wall of the Modern Grand Canyon portion near the beginning that was pointed out to us by the cm, when he accompanied us when we last rode the Lilly Belle.
    Here You Leave Today and Enter the World of Yesterday, Tomorrow, and Fantasy.

“To all who come to this happy place; welcome. Disneyland is your land. Here age relives fond memories of the past...and here youth may savor the challenge and promise of the future. Disneyland is dedicated to the ideals, the dreams and the hard facts that have created America...with the hope that it will be a source of joy and inspiration to all the world.” - Walt Disney, Disneyland Opening Day Speech 1955

View my new Budget Disney Blog here: http://budgetdisneylandresort.blogspot.com/

• formerly very helpful

I get it. The original post must be sarcasm.

Of course, the vast majority of people would NEVER want this to go.
    3D projections - movies of any kind - are no substitute for something real and tangible like the diarama.

• I'm a Lutheran

NO! The Grand Canyon and subsequent Primeval World are two of the most nostalgic, magical, wonderful areas of the park! I would rather them relocate the Grand Canyon to the Frontierland portion of the railroad or even replace all the taxidermy-born animals with animatronics then rid of it all together. And there's no way that I'd want to ride a vintage train to watch a 3D movie. If I want to do that I can go to Universal and ride the tram where something very similar exists...King Kong 360. And seeing a bunch of three-dimensional dinosaurs on screens would look bizarre when put up against the much older animatronics next door. But I do appreciate your armchair Imagineering. It's always good to see it alive and well.

Now, let's all enjoy the day.

Theatrical Roles: Various Roles (The Laramie Project), Fred (Oklahoma!), Oberon (Shakespeare in Hollywood), Hero (A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum), Valere (The Miser), Moonface Martin (Anything Goes), Thenardier/Laborer/Army Officer/Ensemble (Les Miserables), Franz (The Sound of Music), Tobias Ragg (Sweeney Todd), Tinman (The Wiz), Elles Dad/Winthrop/Ensemble (Legally Blonde), William Barfee/Leaf's Dad/Jesus Christ (25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee), Fiddler on the Roof (Rabbi), The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (Muff Potter/Ensemble), Shrek the Musical (Lord Farquaad)

• HYDRA

Give it a story why we left TL
    Take a look at the theme park models I make at kolbykonnection.com

• Closed Account

"Hokey" music? Someone needs to take a music appreciation class.

It just needs some plussing up. New animals and props. Maybe some animatronics, but not gone completely.
    In the quest for quality, I have no problem with the characters footing the bill.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Hokey music? That "hokey" music you hear is a fine piece of American music, written during the latter part of the nationalistic period of classical music.

• Closed Account

I'm constantly amazed and saddened that some people believe that every square inch of Disneyland needs to feature fireworks, holograms, lasers or some other stimulus du jour. Why can't some parts of the Park retain their quiet intimacy?

Keep it!

• Parking Lot > DCA

Saying it should be converted to something 3D bums me out. 3D is not the answer to everything (especially you, Hollywood - not every​ movie needs to be released in 3D!).

• Herr Ducktor!

I agree. And for me at least, this is NOT the voice of conservatism or nostalgia speaking.

Look, it's the longest diorama in the world. And since you're on a train, you get to experience it in a linear fashion, at a set speed. The animals are real (the only taxidermy in the park, I believe). And the diorama makes full use of all that, transitioning to winter with an impressive subtlety

It doesn't need to be replaced by special effects; the diorama IS a special effect, in these CGI-encrusted times. Introducng motion to the animals would require replacing them with artificial constructs, since the pelts would wear out. We, as passengers on a train, are the ones who introduce motion.

I wouldn't mind some "plussing" in finessing the transition to the dinosaurs, and the dinosaurs themselves can be refreshed for the sake of accuracy as paleontology advances. But for me, the diorama serves the same purpose as Pepper's Ghost in HM, or the water in the Canal Boats. It's the right tech for the effect.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
    I'm constantly amazed and saddened that some people believe that every square inch of Disneyland needs to feature fireworks, holograms, lasers or some other stimulus du jour. Why can't some parts of the Park retain their quiet intimacy?
    I couldn't agree more with this statement.

• Closed Account

I am glad that most here seem to appreciate the diorama for what it is. It's not only a neat feature in its own right, it also reminds us of the history of Disneyland and the Railroad.

Back in the day, the Santa Fe sponsored the trains. Interestingly, the Santa Fe had a branch line that took tourists to the real Grand Canyon. When Disney unveiled their version, the Santa Fe was quick to utilize the attraction in their own advertsing efforts.

Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast