Page 22 of 26 FirstFirst ... 1219202122232425 ... LastLast

• -

Re: Time to Send the Grand Canyon Diorama to Yesterland

Quote Originally Posted by TylerDurden View Post
    How can it hurt to have at least a little background on it in the narration? Do you have the same principle about the safety spiel in the beginning? Dude, if you hate it that much, just ignore it, but I think it could be really beneficial to the Disneyland park guests' overall train experience.
    It would be distracting and take away from the experience more than adding to it.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by TylerDurden View Post
    How can it hurt to have at least a little background on it in the narration? ...I think it could be really beneficial to the Disneyland park guests' overall train experience.
    That bayou scene at the beginning of Pirates is sorta dull. It would be "really beneficial" to have some narration come over the PA giving a "little background" and explaining the historic nature of the ride, dontcha think?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
    That bayou scene at the beginning of Pirates is sorta dull. It would be "really beneficial" to have some narration come over the PA giving a "little background" and explaining the historic nature of the ride, dontcha think?

That's a bad comparison because the other poster never said he wanted the narration because he felt the railroad was dull. He wanted a little extra narration because he feels it would enrich the guest experience. The sound of a voice over the speakers ruins the experience of a quiet scene in a bayou, but it would fit in on a train tour where a voice over the speaker has been telling you interesting facts about Disneyland.

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    It would be distracting and take away from the experience more than adding to it.
    How does one or two lines of narration take away from the experience? As it is, the train is a tour of the park providing interesting information for visitors. The narration already points out pretty much everything the train passes. When you're in Frontierland it gives you a little history lesson on train travel and westward expansion. In Tomorrowland it talks about the monorail and its historical significance. Did you know that when the Disneyland monorail opened in 1959 it was the first daily operating monorail in the entire Western Hemisphere? You do now thanks to the train narration!

• Banned User

I felt there was enough narration on the railroad. They don't need more. What you should do is get those handicap narration headphones for those that need more descriptive information. For everyone else, the railroad is fine "as is".

• -

Quote Originally Posted by clippers6 View Post
    How does one or two lines of narration take away from the experience?
    There's not much time from departing the station to entering the diorama. A wordy naration about its construction would overlap into the scene itself and take away from the feeling of viewing the diorama with the music, the same way the squid guy on the mist screen took away from the erie feeling the creepy voice in the old naration on Pirates.

Did you know that when the Disneyland monorail opened in 1959 it was the first daily operating monorail in the entire Western Hemisphere? You do now thanks to the train narration!
    I knew that before riding the train.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

There's not much time from departing the station to entering the diorama. A wordy naration about its construction would overlap into the scene itself and take away from the feeling of viewing the diorama with the music, the same way the squid guy on the mist screen took away from the erie feeling the creepy voice in the old naration on Pirates.

I knew that before riding the train.
    I don't think anyone was asking for a lecture on the history of the diorama. One or two lines similar to what is currently said about the monorail would take less than 10 seconds. You might know everything about the monorail, the diorama, or anything else in Disneyland (the fact you're on this forum indicates you have an interest in Disney above that of the average person), but the average guest wouldn't know that they're looking at the first daily operating monorail or that they're about to pass through the world's longest diorama. People like to see things that are the world's longest, largest, first, highest, etc. How would an extra 10 seconds of information that would make a lot of people happy and help them better appreciate something significantly alter your experience?

Totally agree with you about the mist screen in pirates though.

• Closed Account

We've gone from eliminating the diorama entirely to moving it to San Francisco to now wanting to add less than 10 seconds of narration. At what point will the folks who want change at all costs, no matter how small or insignificant, realize that the vast, vast majority of people who view the Diorama feel that it's fine as-is?

• Armchair Imagineer

We've gone from eliminating the diorama entirely to moving it to San Francisco to now wanting to add less than 10 seconds of narration. At what point will the folks who want change at all costs, no matter how small or insignificant, realize that the vast, vast majority of people who view the Diorama feel that it's fine as-is?
    But this is the beauty of MiceChatting, Steve -- we get to engage in discussions about possibilities. I expect that the Imagineers go through a similar process when they consider changes to existing attractions. These types of discussions are meant to be fun and interesting. Look at how many different ideas have been discussed so far. Try not to be exasperated, Steve.

At what point will the folks who want change at all costs, no matter how small or insignificant, realize that the vast, vast majority of people who view the Diorama feel that it's fine as-is?
    I know one person that would have disagreed with your vast, vast majority.

“Whenever I go on a ride, I'm always thinking of what's wrong with the thing and how it can be improved.” - Walt Disney

• Closed Account

I'm just waiting to get the suggestion that in order to properly explain the attraction to the general public who may not know what it is, that we call it the Grand Canyon Diorama.

• Parking Lot > DCA

We've covered almost all the bases. Soon the thread shall die..maybe?

I feel like I've given my point of view with reasoning behind it. Had some good debate, too! This has been one of the better threads I've participated in in a while.

• Closed Account

I know one person that would have disagreed with your vast, vast majority.

“Whenever I go on a ride, I'm always thinking of what's wrong with the thing and how it can be improved.” - Walt Disney
    That attaction was open for 8 years before Walt died. Pretty sure he probably rode the train more than just about any attraction. Saw the Diorama maybe hundreds of times.

Guess he approved.

That attaction was open for 8 years before Walt died. Pretty sure he probably rode the train more than just about any attraction. Saw the Diorama maybe hundreds of times.

Guess he approved.
    Let's not pretend we know what the man thought. For all we know he had a few ideas he wanted to try out after he crossed Disney World and EPCOT off his to-do list. Let us also not assume he wouldn't have changed his mind over time if he were still with us and could see the new technologies we have today. I'm not saying you're wrong, for all we know he could have considered it perfect as is; just saying we can't assume either way, but we do know that he would have never stopped looking for ways to improve one of his creations.

• Minion

What experience? The music and suggested narration can coexist perfectly well

• Minion

Pirates is trying to sell you the idea that you are actually in the bayou--the diorama is not. It is clear that it is fake, and it is clear that you are just passing through a diorama. Why not explain why? It's not trying to actually sell you the idea that you're in the Grand Canyon, whereas in Pirates it is trying to sell you the idea that you are in the bayou, and you don't need a narration on its history for it to make sense.

Try again

Page 22 of 26 FirstFirst ... 1219202122232425 ... LastLast