Page 6 of 26 FirstFirst ... 345678916 ... LastLast

• AKA - DisneyChris

Re: Time to Send the Grand Canyon Diorama to Yesterland

in Disneyland Paris - The Grand Canyon comes right AFTER the Main Street station before you reach Frontierland.

Now Presenting --- DISNEYLAND - A MAGICAL AUDIO TOUR
    An amazing interactive audio experience found only at my website -www.DisneyChris.com

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Emelius View Post
    in Disneyland Paris - The Grand Canyon comes right AFTER the Main Street station before you reach Frontierland.
    We can't help it that they goofed up so badly because Walt wasn't around.

• Parking Lot > DCA

That's fine, but like Steve said above the diorama at Disneyland was placed as a finale for the DLRR. Paris is entirely different.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Why are some people griping that the Grand Canyon is not futuristic? Barring some major global catastrophe I would expect the Grand Canyon to look pretty much the same for hundreds if not many thousands of years into the future. Just use your imagination a bit and pretend you have traveled to the Grand Canyon in the year 2374 or whatever year you would like it to be. I assure you the Grand Canyon will look the same then as it does now.

If you really want to be a stickler about it, maybe they could project spaceships flying around in the painted sky on the back wall. But other than that I don't think the Grand Canyon will look that much different at all.

• -

I think that the Grand Canyon probably looked nothing like the Primeval World did - it is a totally different environment, even if eons are supposed to have passed. I think it is a bit odd to think that it did. I never saw the connection.
    The passage of time is not something to be taken lightly. The T-Rex lived roughly 65 million years ago. The Earth’s surface looked much different back then. The Western North American continent was an island continent known as Laramidia and was separated from the rest of the US by the Western Interior Sea.

By comparison, the Colorado River Basin was only formed about 40 million years ago and the river is thought to have begun carving the Grand Canyon itself about 17 million years ago.

Therefore, the area would be completely unrecognizable during the time of the dinosaurs as depicted in the Primeval World Diorama.
    Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    Why are some people griping that the Grand Canyon is not futuristic? Barring some major global catastrophe I would expect the Grand Canyon to look pretty much the same for hundreds if not many thousands of years into the future. Just use your imagination a bit and pretend you have traveled to the Grand Canyon in the year 2374 or whatever year you would like it to be. I assure you the Grand Canyon will look the same then as it does now.

If you really want to be a stickler about it, maybe they could project spaceships flying around in the painted sky on the back wall. But other than that I don't think the Grand Canyon will look that much different at all.
    They don't need any of that since it isn't part of Tomorrowland.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Just drawn that way

Love the music! last year I noticed the same music in 'A Christmas Story'.

I love this whole scene , being from Az, my family always got a kick out of 'The Grand Canyon'. I still find this funny and love this part of the train, being inside a tunnel for more than a few moments,and hearing and feeling the train move is a wonderful feeling!

And I learned from futurama you have to go into the future to get back to the past.....so it fits!
    Little and broken, but still good.

• Sock Puppet

I still like it no matter what, no i really don't think it needs to be taken out

• -

Quote Originally Posted by Poisonedapples View Post
    I still like it no matter what, no i really don't think it needs to be taken out
    In the end, this is really what it is all about.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Sock Puppet

--thanks calsig..

• Olé! Olé! It's Showtime!

Quote Originally Posted by Malina View Post
    Also, while I'm normally a proponent of the "Disney is not a museum" philosophy, in this case, the dioramas have actual historical significance. They were part of the 1964 World's Fair in New York. Most of the other exhibits from the World's Fair were either destroyed or left to rot (literally, see here: Crumbling floor map in New York Pavillion | Flickr - Photo Sharing! ). The Grand Canyon, and iasw, were preserved and maintained with TLC.
    Was the Grand Canyon Diorama part of the World's Fair? I thought it was original to Disneyland. It's the Primeval World that was at the Fair, and even then, this is an "original" installation using the same figures - it wasn't set up this way at the Fair.

As for the topic at hand... I enjoy the dioramas just because it is a 2-minute trip back to the Disneyland I used to see on Sunday nights on TV when I was a kid. Disneyland isn't a museum, but it *is* a place of nostalgia.
    MiceChat from Main Street.
    MiceChat goes mobile with the Mouseaddict app for iPhone and iPad! Keep up to date with the latest blogs and columns, chat live with MiceChatters inside and outside of the parks, plan your next move with Addictometer wait times and crowd level mapping, see showtimes and set reminders for dining, shows and FastPass, and find anything in the resort — from attractions to sidewalk carts.

Learn more and download free at mouseaddict.com.

If anything they should make the Grand Canyon/Primeval World dioramas more immersive. Have stuff on both sides of the train, lose the glass, better sound, up-to-date special effects, etc. It would be awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by explodingboy View Post
    Saying it should be converted to something 3D bums me out. 3D is not the answer to everything (especially you, Hollywood - not every​ movie needs to be released in 3D!).
    Christopher Nolan agrees with you. None of his Batman flicks were in 3D, no matter how much the studio wanted them that way. However. all three films featured sequences shot in IMAX.

Okay, back to the thread.

---------- Post added 11-16-2012 at 03:18 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
    I am glad that most here seem to appreciate the diorama for what it is. It's not only a neat feature in its own right, it also reminds us of the history of Disneyland and the Railroad.

Back in the day, the Santa Fe sponsored the trains. Interestingly, the Santa Fe had a branch line that took tourists to the real Grand Canyon. When Disney unveiled their version, the Santa Fe was quick to utilize the attraction in their own advertsing efforts.

This is really cool!

---------- Post added 11-16-2012 at 03:48 PM ----------

I wouldn't change the diorama at all. But they should make the dinos more like what we know now about them. For example, the brontosaurus never really existed. Believe it or not, a paleontologist combined the skull of one dino with the neck of another and called it "brontosaurus"", which is Latin for "thunder lizard." Also, the animal never lived in swamps, but in dry floodplains. (See this article: www.unmuseum.org/dinobront.htm .) The dinosaurs seen in the opening section Of Universe of Energy at Epcot are much more correct. God, I love GOOGLE!

Science lesson over. Thanks for your patience.
    Last edited by Not My Real Name; 11-16-2012 at 03:50 PM.
    Everyone is entitled to an informed opinion.
    Harlan Ellison

I may not be the brightest bulb on the Christmas tree, but I do shine.

Texan by birth, Californian by choice.

There should be a sticky thread called "This Day in Disney History." The company has a long history and this would be a good way to acknowledge it. Walt was born 112 years ago; that's quite a chunk of American history and culture.

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by PiecesOfEight View Post
    If anything they should make the Grand Canyon/Primeval World dioramas more immersive. Have stuff on both sides of the train, lose the glass, better sound, up-to-date special effects, etc. It would be awesome.

OKAY see now your talking .... not MORE special effects, but they should of put it on both sides of the train yes, and no glass yes i agree...the sound is fine i think..but this is a part of Disneyland that should never ever ever ever go away or get taken out.ever. i really can't even believe someone suggested it

• Insert Hilarious Title

Quote Originally Posted by PiecesOfEight View Post
    ...lose the glass...
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisonedapples View Post
    ...no glass yes i agree...
    Losing the glass would be very bad for the taxidermy-treated animals in the diorama.
    Feel free to add me as a friend on Facebook (Just mention MiceChat)

"The thing that makes us different is our way of thinking, our judgement and experience acquired over the years. Giving it 'heart.' Others haven't understood the public. We developed a psychological approach to everything we do here. We seem to know when to 'tap the heart.' Others have hit the intellect. We can hit them in an emotional way. Those that appeal to the intellect only appeal to a very limited group. Let's not let the mechanics get in here and foul the whole thing." -Walt Disney

• hunter of Hidden Mickeys

there's a problem with having dioramas on both sides of the tunnel though - I can't remember which one, but one of the trains' cars has the seating facing to the side rather than the front and you wouldn't be able to see anything on the other side of the tunnel if anything was placed there (unless you turned around in your seat). Unless the cars had their seating reformatted, which I imagine people wouldn't want to do (for the sake of keeping them in their original state).

As for the dioramas, I absolutely love them. It's always been tradition in my family to do a round trip tour on the train as our first activity in the park, and we love the dioramas (the Primeval World being my favorite, loving dinosaurs since I was a kid). I would be really bummed out to see either one of them go.

Page 6 of 26 FirstFirst ... 345678916 ... LastLast