Page 7 of 26 FirstFirst ... 4567891017 ... LastLast

• Closed Account

Re: Time to Send the Grand Canyon Diorama to Yesterland

Quote Originally Posted by Oathkeeper View Post
    there's a problem with having dioramas on both sides of the tunnel though - I can't remember which one, but one of the trains' cars has the seating facing to the side rather than the front
    THREE trains face to the right; only one faces forward.

• film975

I only have one question... why? Why get rid of one of the best things in the whole park? Granted the Grand Canyon Diorama opened in 1958. And Primeval World came to the park right after the 1964 New York World's Fair. But they never cease to amaze me.

Quote Originally Posted by Oathkeeper View Post
    there's a problem with having dioramas on both sides of the tunnel though - I can't remember which one, but one of the trains' cars has the seating facing to the side rather than the front and you wouldn't be able to see anything on the other side of the tunnel if anything was placed there (unless you turned around in your seat).
    Let me clarify.

I don't mean that there should necessarily be things to look at behind you. When you ride Pirates or Thunder Mountain (or whatever), you are immersed in an environment. You aren't necessarily supposed to look in places that aren't directly in front or to the side of you, but if you do it is themed as well. I hope that makes sense.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Timicus View Post
    Losing the glass would be very bad for the taxidermy-treated animals in the diorama.
    Exactly right. They'd be exposed not only to extremes of temperature and humidity, but to guests who would be tempted to use the critters as targets for everything from spitwads to wrist rockets.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

Quote Originally Posted by Timicus View Post
    Losing the glass would be very bad for the taxidermy-treated animals in the diorama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    Exactly right. They'd be exposed not only to extremes of temperature and humidity, but to guests who would be tempted to use the critters as targets for everything from spitwads to wrist rockets.
    Good point about the animals, that's why I'd take out the existing animals and replace them with similar animals that wouldn't deteriorate like that.

Also, I don't buy the "critters as targets"...the animatronics on POTC aren't behind glass...wouldn't they also be targets?

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by PiecesOfEight View Post
    Also, I don't buy the "critters as targets"...the animatronics on POTC aren't behind glass...wouldn't they also be targets?
    Video surveillance and an exit choke point where vandals can be apprehended keeps down the damage to POTC, but even then it still happens occasionally. An open diorama would be an open invitation for that portion of guests who get off on trashing things.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    Video surveillance and an exit choke point where vandals can be apprehended keeps down the damage to POTC
    I'd argue that the same could be done with the train (if it isn't already).

• hunter of Hidden Mickeys

Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
    THREE trains face to the right; only one faces forward.
    thanks for the clarification, I couldn't remember off the top of my head how many actually faced to the right.

Quote Originally Posted by PiecesOfEight View Post
    Let me clarify.

I don't mean that there should necessarily be things to look at behind you. When you ride Pirates or Thunder Mountain (or whatever), you are immersed in an environment. You aren't necessarily supposed to look in places that aren't directly in front or to the side of you, but if you do it is themed as well. I hope that makes sense.
    I get what you're saying, but you are still facing forward in your examples and are able to take everything in from at least a glance or two to the left and the right. I would think they were designed that way because you're literally "going through" the environment where with the trains we are really only "looking into" the scenes in the dioramas (I hope that makes sense >< ). With three of the four trains facing only to the right (as mentioned above), I don't see how a completely immersive environment can be constructed without reformatting the trains (which I bet would be highly opposed to). And in my opinion, for how much time the trains are actually in tunnel for, I don't think its necessary for the dioramas to be completely immersive like that.

That's just how I see it though, I'm no imagineering expert. I've always thought the dioramas were fine just as they are and hope they are around for a long time.

• Knight that says Nee!!

I'm on the bandwagon of keeping it as is. Clean it up? Sure. Upgrade the animatronics, I guess so, but not a deal breaker. Other than that it does great in its purpose which is to provide a fun bit of showmanship while on a relaxing train ride around the theme park.

I am totally against over technology additions such as holograms and 3D tech being placed in there. That is not what that area is for and as others of said not every damn bit of entertainment in the park has have the latest whiz-bang laser/hologram/3D technology crammed into it and stuck in your face.

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Rongo View Post
    Was the Grand Canyon Diorama part of the World's Fair? I thought it was original to Disneyland. It's the Primeval World that was at the Fair, and even then, this is an "original" installation using the same figures - it wasn't set up this way at the Fair.

As for the topic at hand... I enjoy the dioramas just because it is a 2-minute trip back to the Disneyland I used to see on Sunday nights on TV when I was a kid. Disneyland isn't a museum, but it *is* a place of nostalgia.
    My mistake, I thought they were both at the WF. As far as Primeval World is concerned, though, here's a video of the World's Fair, and aside from the difference in direction -- the one at the WF goes left to right instead of right to left, and it looks as though the raptor scene was put at a different place -- the dinosaur scenes are close to being identical. They start at about 5:32 in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3YBrFk_OQQ

• Foolish Mortal

I love it how it is! That's the main reason why I love to ride on the train.

"So make the best of this test and don't ask why. It's not a question but a lesson learned in time."- Green Day
    "The harder you work, the luckier you get."- Billie Joe Armstrong
    "This is my rage. This is my love. This is my town. This is my city. This is my life."

They just need to update the air circulation in the tunnels when it is August and 90 degrees outside. Going thru the tunnel in the summer is like a sauna!

Quote Originally Posted by PirateLover View Post
    They just need to update the air circulation in the tunnels when it is August and 90 degrees outside. Going thru the tunnel in the summer is like a sauna!
    Just like the real Grand Canyon in summer! Consider it accurate theming...

Quote Originally Posted by Malina View Post
    My mistake, I thought they were both at the WF. As far as Primeval World is concerned, though, here's a video of the World's Fair, and aside from the difference in direction -- the one at the WF goes left to right instead of right to left, and it looks as though the raptor scene was put at a different place -- the dinosaur scenes are close to being identical. They start at about 5:32 in.

1964-65 NEW YORK WORLD&#39;S FAIR - Ford Magic Skyway - YouTube
    WOW! looking at that video reminds me that disney for what ever reason only hauled haf of Primeval world back to california with IASW. I think its a crying shame the cavemen got trashed they were a big hit at the magic skyway and we lost some marc davis goodness that disneyland never got too know.So if you ask me the grand canyon diorama should have been tossed back in the 60s i just dont understand why the cavemen got dumped it would have been like actually haveing most of the magic shyway at disneyland.

• Cunning infiltrator

Walt Disney never really liked the cavemen because of their faces as he recalled, so they weren't added to the primeval world scene for Disneyland.

For all your Furry/Anthro needs!
    http://www.second-ed.com/

Highly recommended Furry/Anthro list:
    http://belfrycomics.net/
    http://furaffinity.net/

Page 7 of 26 FirstFirst ... 4567891017 ... LastLast