Page 8 of 26 FirstFirst ... 56789101118 ... LastLast

• Minion

Re: Time to Send the Grand Canyon Diorama to Yesterland

Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
    "Hokey" music? Someone needs to take a music appreciation class.
    I would have to agree, Steve. That is a classical work of art in music composed by a classical artist and I feel it captures the essence of the American west and the Grand Canyon so beautifully. Grofe's piece gives me chills at times and definitely takes me to a very relaxing place when I hear it. In fact, even though it was a well known piece, it is one of those things that Disney brought into mainstream culture through its use at Disneyland. And it's one of the things I learned about and appreciated as a kid while growing up at the park. I would consider it almost a part of the edutainment that Disneyland once incorporated so seamlessly in the park. You even learned a little bit about classical music.

Hokey? Not the word I would tag on to the "Grand Canyon Suite."

---------- Post added 11-18-2012 at 01:18 PM ----------

• Goofy

leave like that because the grand canyon image represents the old disneyland at least in my view

• ~

Quote Originally Posted by monster heck View Post
    Want an overhaul? Let's see what's on Pixar's upcoming movie list.
    ... The Good Dinsouar.

• Selfie Expert

I personally LOVE this attraction purely for nostalgia. I wouldn't be completely opposed to updated animatronics, but would worry about this ruining the taxidermy? I wouldn't necessarily want new ones added in, either, as they would match with the originals (as in POTC).

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

Quote Originally Posted by CASurfer65 View Post
    I would have to agree, Steve. That is a classical work of art in music composed by a classical artist and I feel it captures the essence of the American west and the Grand Canyon so beautifully. Grofe's piece gives me chills at times and definitely takes me to a very relaxing place when I hear it. In fact, even though it was a well known piece, it is one of those things that Disney brought into mainstream culture through its use at Disneyland. And it's one of the things I learned about and appreciated as a kid while growing up at the park. I would consider it almost a part of the edutainment that Disneyland once incorporated so seamlessly in the park. You even learned a little bit about classical music.

Hokey? Not the word I would tag on to the "Grand Canyon Suite."

---------- Post added 11-18-2012 at 01:18 PM ----------
    Am I the only person that notices people laughing and making negative comments about the music? Bouncy music while looking at unmoving animals after a transition from Tomorrowland to the Grand Canyon that even imagineers worried would be jarring is distracting; many people think something is wrong because nothing is moving as you'd expect given the music. On the other hand, most people are genuinely impressed by the Primeval World. The music fits perfectly. Even rude guests that talked through the Grand Canyon shut up and pay attention. This isn't an attack on Grand Canyon Suite, I've already said the first movement would fit the diorama much better, but that doesn't mean every part of it works.

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by clippers6 View Post
    Am I the only person that notices people laughing and making negative comments about the music?
    Yep.

• " Planet of Puddingheads"

Yep.
    Yep as well.
    “No worries, stay calm, one question. 
Do you happen to know how to fly this thing?”

The music reminds me of the Disney nature films we used to watch back in grade school. Those old movies were the best! (and it ment we didin't have to do math that day!)

• -

Yep.
    Quote Originally Posted by Disneymike View Post
    Yep as well.
    x3
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Minion

Wow, I've been through the Grand Canyon diorama many many times and not once have I ever heard people laughing at the music??

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by Diznygrl View Post
    Wow, I've been through the Grand Canyon diorama many many times and not once have I ever heard people laughing at the music??
    As much as clippers6 would like you to believe that this actually happens, let alone is commonplace, it simply does not happen. Most folks stare rapt at the tableau, and realize that the choice of music was a stroke of genius.

As much as clippers6 would like you to believe that this actually happens, let alone is commonplace, it simply does not happen. Most folks stare rapt at the tableau, and realize that the choice of music was a stroke of genius.
    You guys truly are in denial if you think it doesn't happen. What portion of the general public do you think could actually identify the music being used? I hear "this is so corny" all the time; I've yet to hear "this is genius". Don't get me wrong, I love the dioramas, but I'm not going to pretend that everyone else on the train has the same appreciation as I or as you guys do (especially you Steve, someone that has written a book about the railroad). Would there be no benefit to the experience to update the music? I would suggest a more modern recording, starting with the first movement for the dramatic transition from the dark tunnel to the Grand Canyon, and a smoother transition from the 3rd movement to the 5th during the storm scene.

---------- Post added 11-20-2012 at 02:58 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by gatheringrosebuds View Post
    ... The Good Dinsouar.

I think the only thing that has kept them from turning the Grand Canyon part into the train scene from Toy Story 3 is not that many in TDA realize the dioramas are there

• " Planet of Puddingheads"

Quote Originally Posted by clippers6 View Post
    You guys truly are in denial if you think it doesn't happen. What portion of the general public do you think could actually identify the music being used? I hear "this is so corny" all the time; I've yet to hear "this is genius". Don't get me wrong, I love the dioramas, but I'm not going to pretend that everyone else on the train has the same appreciation as I or as you guys do (especially you Steve, someone that has written a book about the railroad). Would there be no benefit to the experience to update the music? I would suggest a more modern recording, starting with the first movement for the dramatic transition from the dark tunnel to the Grand Canyon, and a smoother transition from the 3rd movement to the 5th during the storm scene.
    How about Disney get Moby or Samantha Ronson to do the "more modern recording"?...
    “No worries, stay calm, one question. 
Do you happen to know how to fly this thing?”

• Parking Lot > DCA

How about Disney get Moby or Samantha Ronson to do the "more modern recording"?...

Yes, that's exactly what I meant

I think a stereophonic recording using modern recording equipment would be a nice addition. I'm not a sound engineer, but maybe they could even remaster the original recording like they do with old films.

Page 8 of 26 FirstFirst ... 56789101118 ... LastLast