Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Under that tree again!

BTMRR queue themeing. New information added 11-19

Sure it's about WDW, but the DL BTM is up for a long rehab starting in January.

Walt Disney Imagineers Unveil a Mysterious Portrait as a Hint to an Upcoming Walt Disney World Resort Project « Disney Parks Blog

Who doesn’t love a good mystery – and we just happen to have one to share with you today. Our friends in Walt Disney Imagineering just sent us this portrait as a sneak peek of one of their upcoming Walt Disney World Resort projects. Any ideas which attraction this may soon be a part of?

Here’s one hint to the identity of this fine fellow: “His obsession with gold will ultimately lead him to ruin.”

Walt Disney Imagineers Unveil the Backstory of Barnabas T. Bullion, Founder and President of Big Thunder Mining Company « Disney Parks Blog

Last week, we shared an image of a portrait that’s a part of a new project our Walt Disney Imagineers are currently working on – and today we’re happy to reveal the identity of that man and share details on the role he’ll play in the enhanced storyline of a certain Magic Kingdom Park attraction, Big Thunder Mountain Railroad.

The fellow’s name is Barnabas T. Bullion, and he’s the gold magnate who rules the Big Thunder Mining Company with a golden fist. Imagineers have already begun working overnight in the park on the attraction’s new interactive queue, where you’ll be able to see this portrait, as well as an additional landscape portrait of the mountain itself.

According to the enhanced backstory: “Barnabas T. Bullion is the founder and president of the Big Thunder Mining Company. The longtime mining magnate comes from a powerful East Coast family and considers gold to be his very birthright by virtue of his oddly appropriate name; in fact, he considers the ultimate gold strike to be his destiny. And that is why he is having so much trouble with Big Thunder Mountain. According to superstitious locals, Big Thunder Mountain is very protective of the gold it holds within, and the unfortunate soul who attempts to mine its riches is destined to fail. And so far that prophecy is coming to pass. The mine has been plagued by mysterious forces and natural disasters ever since. And yet the Big Thunder Mining Co. is still in operation. In fact, Bullion is discovering new veins of gold and digging new shafts every day, offering a closer look at the Big Thunder mining operation than ever before. But a word to the wise for anyone attempting to visit the mountain: watch out for runaway trains.”
    Look for these new additions and a number of additional interactive elements in the coming months at Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, the wildest ride in the wilderness!
    Last edited by swampymarsh; 11-19-2012 at 11:33 AM.

• "I don't like the color"

Re: BTMRR queue themeing.

Looks like Tony Baxter to me.....

Makes sense since he designed BTMRR.
    “No worries, stay calm, one question. 
Do you happen to know how to fly this thing?”

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by Disneymike View Post
    Looks like Tony Baxter to me.....
    I thought the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
    I thought the same thing.
    I wonder if this portrait with the refurb of BTMRR is his possible retirement gift?

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Sounds to me like it might be part of adding a Disneyland Paris Frontierland 'backstory' type deal to Florida, where a Henry Ravenswood is the owner both of Phantom Manor and the mines at Big Thunder, along with a lot of the town. His luck goes bad, he winds up penniless, mining operation abandoned and in ruins, and possibly either murdered or as the evil phantom haunting his once luxurious home.

In DisneySea, Imagineer Joe Rohde similarly was used as the model for several images of 'Harrison Hightower', owner of the Hotel Hightower and renowned adventurer and collector of bizarre artifacts. So I suspect this portrait of Baxter will function in a similar fashion, and the gold nugget headed walking stick, plus it being his concept, suggests it is somehow to be utilized at Big Thunder.

Looks like a cross between Donald Sutherland and Tony Baxter.

Quote Originally Posted by RegionsBeyond View Post
    Sounds to me like it might be part of adding a Disneyland Paris Frontierland 'backstory' type deal to Florida, where a Henry Ravenswood is the owner both of Phantom Manor and the mines at Big Thunder, along with a lot of the town. His luck goes bad, he winds up penniless, mining operation abandoned and in ruins, and possibly either murdered or as the evil phantom haunting his once luxurious home.

In DisneySea, Imagineer Joe Rohde similarly was used as the model for several images of 'Harrison Hightower', owner of the Hotel Hightower and renowned adventurer and collector of bizarre artifacts. So I suspect this portrait of Baxter will function in a similar fashion, and the gold nugget headed walking stick, plus it being his concept, suggests it is somehow to be utilized at Big Thunder.
    Good call, very well might be.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

I always felt the queue to BTMRR had a very Knott's-like feel to it. Which now that I'm older and am more knowledgable about theme parks does not surprise me why I feel this way. It turns out in the book Knott's Preserved, Tony Baxter writes that as a youth he was greatly influenced by the Calico Mine Ride. That feeling makes a lot more sense to me now that I learned that.

• A Pirate's Life For Me...

Way too far from the magic..Glendale, Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by Disneymike View Post
    I wonder if this portrait with the refurb of BTMRR is his possible retirement gift?
    Best retirement gift ever!

Thank you Poisonedapples for my my my signature!!!

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by jaybee View Post
    Looks like a cross between Donald Sutherland and Tony Baxter.
    I though Tony Baxter when I first saw it, but when I thought of the planned tv with Donald Sutherland it started looking a lot more like the former.

However that TV show is not confirmed news by anyone stated to be involved.

Seeing as it's, I believe BTMRR's birthday in WDW, how coincidental for Disney to unveil this portrait.
    Last edited by Disneymike; 11-15-2012 at 12:08 PM.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

It also does resemble Sutherland, but had not heard a single rumor even he might be in the proposed TV show. Baxter has far more ties to BTMRR historically, so paying homage to both of them might work (still seems weird to me if it's some kind of joint tribute)...but Baxter created the concept for the attraction, therefore, simplest explanation is the most obvious first one, to my mind.

I can, of course, be wholly wrong given this is presented as a 'mystery'. Baxter has more to do with Disney and Big Thunder.

End of line.

• Minion

In general, I'm not a big fan of being spoon-fed too much backstory. It dulls the imagination.

• Team Hail HYDRA

its creepy to see Tony Baxter that way

Go visit my theme park website!!! http://kolbykonnection.com

• I'm a Lutheran

It'll be interesting to see what this leads to...although being spoon-fed a storyline can somewhat dull the imagination, this picture does invoke a bit of mystery. Hopefully you have to kind of figure it out on your own...hopefully...hopefully...hopefully...
    Theatrical Roles: Various Roles (The Laramie Project), Fred (Oklahoma!), Oberon (Shakespeare in Hollywood), Hero (A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum), Valere (The Miser), Moonface Martin (Anything Goes), Thenardier/Laborer/Army Officer/Ensemble (Les Miserables), Franz (The Sound of Music), Tobias Ragg (Sweeney Todd), Tinman (The Wiz), Elles Dad/Winthrop/Ensemble (Legally Blonde), William Barfee/Leaf's Dad/Jesus Christ (25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee), Fiddler on the Roof (Rabbi), The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (Muff Potter/Ensemble), Shrek the Musical (Lord Farquaad)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast