Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tomorrowland

Re: Tomorrowland

Quote Originally Posted by Syndrome View Post
    1. Should...whatever ends up replacing Innoventions utilize the original Carousel of Progress building design or should it be housed in a brand new building?
    Brand new building.
    2. Most people agree that the peoplemover/rocket rods tracks should be used again but for what? An updated peoplemover? Part of the Iron Man E-ticket? Something else?
    Tear them down.
    3. Is it finally time for Autopia and the subs to say goodbye?
    Yes.
    4. The south side of Tommorowland. What needs to be done about the Starcade?
    Tear it down.
    5. What about BLAB? Keep it, or remove it?
    Remove it.

Disneyland should close Tomorrowland for a couple of years, tear it all down except for Space Mountain and possibly Star Tours, and let their imagineers actually create something new and fresh. Start from an almost clean slate!

I like all the wonderful ideas, you guys are great!

• formerly very helpful

I hear a lot of talk about People Mover tracks going away. Although I miss that ride terribly, I've faced the fact that it's not coming back. My concern about the tracks is that they serve one perpose. They provide much needed shade to that area. If/when they remove them, they really should be sure to do something that supports the theme that also provides shade.

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    $4.9 billion says you're wrong...
    No amount of money that Disney paid for Marvel, no matter how obscene, is going to make me change my opinion regarding their compatibility, which is all I stated. On the other hand, if Disney paid ME $4.9 billion, then I would gladly hold any opinion they want.
    Last edited by Robert Cook; 11-16-2012 at 06:05 PM.

I personally think if they do anything with the Peoplemover track, it needs to use a new ride system.. and I'm thinking going Trackless might at least solve some of the issues as far as OSHA is concerned.. I mean, the technology is there for it, if Aquatopia is of any proof of the concept. Make the cars totally enclosed in a plexiglass dome or something like the monorail cockpits... but yeah, extensive track rebuilding would be involved. I guess it all depends if someone out there cares enough to fix it.

Whatever happens to the Innoventions building is probably going to determine what happens to the Peoplemover track.. that much I can say.

• -

Quote Originally Posted by AnimationGuy View Post
    and I'm thinking going Trackless might at least solve some of the issues as far as OSHA is concerned..
    The code violation is the lack of emergency egresses. Putting a trackless system up there wouldn't solve that. If anything, it would make it more dangerous as there would now be a large drop if the guidance system failed.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Insomniac

Quote Originally Posted by BradleyC View Post
    Also, encase anyone remembers, Disney owned Power Rangers for a good chunk pf time (7 years), did that mean we were going to get power rangers in the park? Some things just cant fit in where they were not designed to be.
    Name:  20427012.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  39.8 KB
    (Not my picture) Yes Disney did try to put Power Rangers in the parks... It not the first time Disney has tried to shoehorn in franchises. It won't be the last. I would rather have Marvel than more out of theme Pixar characters (with the exception of Wall-e) getting thrown around Tomorrowland like WDW has.
    Check out my Disney inspired creations.

https://picasaweb.google.com/110319393135337100862

IMHO, it would not be necessary to close all of TL to rebuild it - DL's customers have gotten used to construction walls during the DCA refurb. Depending on how the project is staged, you could keep SM and STII open for the vast majority of the construction.

I don't think the Sub/Nemo lagoon will go away even if they got rid of the attraction. It's iconic, it's a nice separation between TL and FL and can be repurposed.

The PM is gone for good - it will have to be rebuilt from the ground up to meet current codes as an attraction, the reason it's still there is because DL wouldn't see any ROI for simply demolishing the tracks.

As for Marvel - I'm against it - but I believe Bob Iger said at a recent D23 that "something" was coming - they didn't spend $4.9B to NOT put Marvel in the parks and a 3rd Gate is still to far away.

Also, I believe Iger said at a D23 that Disney is aware of the support for the now-abandoned PM, what this means, no one knows.....

What I'd prefer is that Pizza Port move to the current Starcade position although I don't know if that's viable to contain the kitchens. But if they could move Pizza Port there, then the exit for SM and the Restrooms would need to move to the left. The remaining space from Pizza Port could be combined with the footprint of Innoventions to place a larger attraction there.

Sadly, Mission: Space is NOT going to be cloned ANYWHERE - people have died on that attraction in Orlando and the Lawyers in Burbank would NEVER allow it to be built in Anaheim however successful and theme-perfect it might be for TL....... Also, there's concerns about the size of the attraction itself - it takes up a large footprint.......

Tomorrowland is very theme land, out ofother disney theme parks. It is licensed by The Walt Disney Company. Tomottowlank each version have different features. Disneyland Park includes a similar area which is called Discoveryland, shares qualities of other Tomorrowlands but emphasizes Jules Verne-inspired visions of a future which never came to fruition.

• Banned User

1. Should the Iron Man E-ticket (or whatever ends up replacing Innoventions) utilize the original Carousel of Progress building design or should it be housed in a brand new building?
    I don't think there should be an Iron Man attraction at Disneyland at all. However, whatever replaces Innoventions should, if at all possible, utilize the existing building, unless it's just not practical to do so.

2. Most people agree that the peoplemover/rocket rods tracks should be used again but for what? An updated peoplemover? Part of the Iron Man E-ticket? Something else?
    I would love to see a new PeopleMover. I'm totally open to having the existing PM tracks demolished and rebuilt so that they are OSHA-compliant, if that's what it takes to get a new PeopleMover. But in addition to a new PeopleMover, let's also bring back a simple classic that never goes out of style - the Rocket Jets. That 1-2 combination of the Rocket Jets and the PeopleMover....that was a winning combination, man! It just worked! So let's see it again.

3. Is it finally time for Autopia and the subs to say goodbye? And what about the lagoon, does it stay and house a futuristic water-based attraction? Or should it be drained and removed?
    I was thinking about the Autopia recently, and honestly, despite its immense popularity, especially with kids and their parents, there hasn't been anything futuristic about it for about 40 years, and maybe more than that. If - IF - the Autopia is to be kept, it HAS to change, and immediately. The gas-powered cars have to be done away with entirely, and they should be replaced with electric cars, with a thematic emphasis on green energy and the benefits of electric automobiles. Ideally, it could be sponsored by Tesla Motors, but I'd be game for sponsorship from Chevy (with their Volt) or Nissan (with their Leaf), or better yet, an industry-wide sponsorship via U.S. DRIVE.

As for the Lagoon, I think thematically the idea of an underseas exhibit is still as valid today as it ever was, but personally I could do without the Nemo cartoon angle. Do we need an open-air lagoon, though? Well, no, not really, especially since the Skyways have been long gone. I would LOVE to see a return of EPCOT's The Living Seas (with its hard science emphasis) in that space, which utilized a large building, but I'm not entirely sure that there'd be sufficient room (although there's always the option of building below ground as well as above).

The Monorail Station needs to be kept, of course, but I'm intrigued with ideas on how to revamp that whole section of the Park, between the Matterhorn, It's A Small World, and the Tomorrowland Train Station. There's a lot that can be done there, while still keeping the Monorail track intact. Maybe introduce a subterranean element to the Electric Autopia as well....underground roadways....

4. The south side of Tomorrowland. What needs to be done about the Starcade? Can you even call it an arcade anymore? Should Pizza Port reopen as Space Place? And if so, where? In its current location, in place of the Magic Eye Theater, or combined with the Starcade? And if Pizza Port is moved (which seems unlikely given its recent facelift) what should take its place? Does it make sense to have a 3-D theater now that Star Tours is in 3-D.
    Honestly, the south side of Tomorrowland really worked well in the late 70s, both thematically and design-wise. And I think that's a good place from which to take our cues for the next version of Tomorrowland. Yes, The Space Place should definitely return, but with an emphasis on healthy, fresh, organic food (and preferably, hydroponically-grown, whenever possible, perhaps right on the premises), not the usual overprocessed fast food. But instead of where it originally went, where would they put this restaurant, this replacement for Pizza Port? Why, in the current location for the Magic Eye Theater, of course. This way, it could be a more elegant sit-down service restaurant. Appropriate to a space-related theme (in the shadow of Space Mountain), lighting would be subdued and marked with star-like points of light throughout. The atmosphere in the restaurant should be as if we were dining in space itself, perhaps even with a massive video background screen upon which could be shown massive Earthscapes (perhaps a mix of real space imagery and CGI). It would feel like we were on a massive space station positioned in orbit.

Now, putting a restaurant there would free up the current Pizza Port location. For that, I say go with the third iteration of the original Flight to the Moon/Mission to Mars attraction idea - a hard-science-oriented, NASA-approved exploration of our solar system, called Voyage Beyond, which would be an in-depth trip to and exploration of one of the planets of our solar system, only instead of it always being the same destination every time, each time it's different - this trip it's the Moon, and when it's done, you can get back in line and this time you'll be off to Mars; go again and it's Saturn, or Jupiter, or Neptune, or Venus, or even a moon of the other planets, or the asteroid belt! True classic Disney science infotainment

And what about the whole 3D thing? Look, we can see 3D movies any weekend now at our local multiplexes. A good lot of movies that come out these days have 3D versions. We can even get 3D at home. So, a 3D theater? In the 80s it was great, but time has now moved on. And that leads us to our last topic.....

5. What about BLAB? Keep it, or remove it? Or does it simply need a different theme?
    Remove BLAB, definitely. Instead, bring back CircleVision 360, with brand new films shot all over the world. Why? Well, simple. You still don't have CircleVision films in theaters (you have IMAX, you have 3D, and now you have HFR (High Frame Rate) films in theaters nationwide, but you don't have CircleVision), and there's a lot that can still be done with the format. Plus, CircleVision films can (theoretically, at least) showcase a number of topics that relate to Tomorrowland thematically.

The primary point of Tomorrowland, and this has traditionally been so, is an appreciation of science and technology, and how they can make our world, and most specifically our future, a better place. There needs to be a return to that point, and a greater emphasis on science and technology in Tomorrowland, thematically, because that's how the land was designed - not as Science Fiction Land, not as Space Fantasy Land, but with reality foremost in mind.

• Banned User

1. Should the Iron Man E-ticket (or whatever ends up replacing Innoventions) utilize the original Carousel of Progress building design or should it be housed in a brand new building?
    That is a tough one. It's nostalgic value is greater than it's mechanical value. So I'd be ok with it going away.

No, remove it all.

3. Is it finally time for Autopia and the subs to say goodbye? And what about the lagoon, does it stay and house a futuristic water-based attraction? Or should it be drained and removed?
    Autopia is out dated. Even electric replacement wouldn't work IMO. It's such a restrictive and slow ride.
    The lagoon, can be remodeled, rebuilt or reworked as a water feature ala Bellagio Las Vegas or the like. The subs, have got to go.

4. The south side of Tommorowland. What needs to be done about the Starcade? Can you even call it an arcade anymore? Should Pizza Port reopen as Space Place? And if so, where? In its current location, in place of the Magic Eye Theater, or combined with the Starcade? And if Pizza Port is moved (which seems unlikely given its recent facelift) what should take its place? Does it make sense to have a 3-D theater now that Star Tours is in 3-D.
    Why is there even an arcade at all. It always felt like a Lazy fill. If they have to keep it, remodel it to fit a TRON Universe, Flynn's Arcade. But if they do that, be sure to build the adjacent TRON E-Ticket.

5. What about BLAB? Keep it, or remove it? Or does it simply need a different theme?
    It will stay for a while, it should be an easy move if they needed to move it, to DCA, which would fit better IMO.

and, I believe the fascia of TL can learn a lot from Las Vegas. The GIANT outdoor LED systems, the canopy LED shows, etc. if they built an exterior that thematically resembled...the futures we've seen in Marvel, Star Wars and TRON....mixed with clean Disney shapes and animations... It could be fantastic, no matter what ride properties are inside.
    We could reasonably hope for rides based on more Star Wars, Some Marvel Tech, expanded Troniverse, etc. I'd even say there would be room to explore something John Carter related.

• Herr Ducktor!

Hands. Off. The. Subs!

I was ecstatic to see the subs come back, so much so that I didn't mind the Nemo-ization.

Yeah, so they're slow-loading. Do you realize (or perhaps remember) how much the experience of "being in a submarine" can blow a child's mind?

Rode the subs first when I was four. Saw a real live mermaid. One of the transcendent experiences of my life.

• film975

Quote Originally Posted by von Drake View Post
    Hands. Off. The. Subs!

I was ecstatic to see the subs come back, so much so that I didn't mind the Nemo-ization.

Yeah, so they're slow-loading. Do you realize (or perhaps remember) how much the experience of "being in a submarine" can blow a child's mind?

Rode the subs first when I was four. Saw a real live mermaid. One of the transcendent experiences of my life.
    Here! Here! I still don't understand all this hatred for BLAB either. I mean come on. A Space Ranger doesn't fit into Tomorrowland?!

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by von Drake View Post
    Hands. Off. The. Subs!

I'm personally not against the idea of keeping the Subs, given their historical value and their popularity. I certainly don't advocate demolishing them, and like I said earlier, I find the basic concept of an underseas exhibit very valuable in Tomorrowland. If, for some reason, the Subs are retired from Disneyland, I would want them to go to an actual Yesterland (I think it would behoove Disney to create a park just for some of its older attractions to have a second life).

But, that said, I'd be fine if the current Submarine Lagoon were left alone entirely.

By the way, here's a fun and very rare 1977 commercial featuring the then-new Space Mountain!

• Banned User

The subs... Remove them, place an old nautilus and new Nemo out as art pieces, re imagine the under seas adventure through a virtual sub ride. Much more magical than clunking around a pool of water. Maybe keep a new lagoon feature as the cue line entertainment, then as we get deeper into it, we are under the water, like an aquarium. Then, we board our exploration vessels.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast