Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tomorrowland

• -

Re: Tomorrowland

Quote Originally Posted by DJS View Post
    The subs... Remove them, place an old nautilus and new Nemo out as art pieces, re imagine the under seas adventure through a virtual sub ride. Much more magical than clunking around a pool of water. Maybe keep a new lagoon feature as the cue line entertainment, then as we get deeper into it, we are under the water, like an aquarium. Then, we board our exploration vessels.
    I don’t see how a virtual ride is more magical than actually being underwater.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    I don’t see how a virtual ride is more magical than actually being underwater.
    Use your imagination.

• -

Use your imagination.
    I think you just proved my point. A virtual ride which projects the ocean depths on screens really doesn't leave much room for imagination. The Submarine Voyage through Liquid Space, however leaves one to imagine that the subs are at an incredible depth and not merely a couple of feet below the water. There are real bubbles outside the window to aid in that imagination not just a projection on a screen. Actually traveling through the water feels like you are really in some futuristic mode of transport exploring the ocean depths.

They just need to kick out the cartoon fish.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Banned User

I don't think I proved your point at all.
    Use your imagination.

• Herr Ducktor!

Actually, there's already a hi-def version of the sub ride; just ask and you can watch it in a nearby room. And since that's such a satisfying experience...hmm...yeah. Let's ditch the actual "being underwater" and move to a "virtual" analog. .

While we're at it, let's ditch Space Mountain, the Matterhorn, Big Thunder even Gadget's Go-Coaster. Because (as Star Tours demonstrates nicely) there are "virtual" coaster equivalents.

And since we're on a roll, let's "virtualize" Jungle Cruise, Pirates...etc. Heck, everything but the gift shops and churro carts could be virtualized these days.

Don't get me wrong. I think digital display technology is amazing and exciting; had it been around in Walt's time, I don't doubt that he would have happily added it to his palette. But the idea that something SHOULD BE virtualized, simply because it CAN be--well, that's the kind of thinking that happens every time a new technology emerges. After the birth of atomic energy, were we imagining nuclear-powered cars. When electricity was new, we had bright ideas like this:

My point: virtual tech is cool, but not a panacea. And there's an implied dead end. Thirty years from now, who's going to bother to go to a physical theme park, when all they're going to be doing is looking at the same kinds of screens (or strapping on the same goggles) they have at home?

Virtual reality augments actual reality. It doesn't replace it.

• Banned User

Sure, replace everything with a virtual ride. That's what I was getting at, put it all in one room, select from a menu and go. That will free up space in Disneyland.

Let's not take my comment beyond what I actually, wrote.
    again, use your imagination. Unless it has hit its peak with this comment.

• Herr Ducktor!

With all due respect, "use your imagination" dismantles none of the critiques I've seen in this thread thus far.

Am I supposed to use it to imagine "water" that's more watery than water, "air bubbles" more bubbly than air bubbles? Please elucidate.

Sure, replace everything with a virtual ride. That's what I was getting at, put it all in one room, select from a menu and go. That will free up space in Disneyland.

Let's not take my comment beyond what I actually, wrote.
    again, use your imagination. Unless it has hit its peak with this comment.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by von Drake View Post
    With all due respect, "use your imagination" dismantles none of the critiques I've seen in this thread thus far.

Am I supposed to use it to imagine "water" that's more watery than water, "air bubbles" more bubbly than air bubbles?
    Bingo. But why stop there? Guests could imagine they're actually experiencing an innovative, high quality Disneyland attraction in a Tomorrowland that truly lives up to its name. Just imagine the money Disney could save on Imagineering!
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Banned User

^dont read too deeply into that, you may be adding your own inflections to my text.

Just justifying my opinion to rid the park of the huge space eating lagoon.
    If I need to expand upon an explanation of "use your imagination", I'll offer that in a new thread.

Disneyland is a place for and of Imagination.

• ~

^dont read too deeply into that, you may be adding your own inflections to my text.

Just justifying my opinion to rid the park of the huge space eating lagoon.
    If I need to expand upon an explanation of "use your imagination", I'll offer that in a new thread.

Disneyland is a place for and of Imagination.
    Full-heartedly agreed. I just don't see how a bunch of virtual images of cartoon fish that spell out the story for you leave much room to use your imagination.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by gatheringrosebuds View Post
    Full-heartedly agreed. I just don't see how a bunch of virtual images of cartoon fish that spell out the story for you leave much room to use your imagination.
    The subs... Remove them, place an old nautilus and new Nemo out as art pieces, re imagine the under seas adventure through a virtual sub ride. Much more magical than clunking around a pool of water. Maybe keep a new lagoon feature as the cue line entertainment, then as we get deeper into it, we are under the water, like an aquarium. Then, we board our exploration vessels.

Please note, I have not detailed a ride more than a loose "what if", you need to use your imagination beyond my words.
    I simply said, to use your imagination as to what possibilities are available with ... As I described above.

And I'd hope there'd be more than a few digital fish. Btw, Star Tours takes us to many imaginative locations.

imagine that.

• ~

Please note, I have not detailed a ride more than a loose "what if", you need to use your imagination beyond my words.
    I simply said, to use your imagination as to what possibilities are available with ... As I described above.

And I'd hope there'd be more than a few digital fish. Btw, Star Tours takes us to many imaginative locations.

imagine that.
    Oops. I thought we were talking about the current subs. I feel sheepish now.

Could a virtual underwater ride, one with a better story and better theming than the sub's current Nemo incarnation, be a good attraction for the land? Yeah. Much, much better than what we have right now.

But as terrible as the virtual fish portions of the Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage is, I actually love the beginning of the ride. Seeing the bubbles rise to symbolize our descent to the ocean's floor and then witnesses the beauty of the bottom of the sea revealed as the bubbles clear. The colorful array of coral, the seaweed swaying in the ocean's tide, the subtle but constant and persist motion of the landscape, the vast underwater world immerses you in its beauty and timelessness and mystery. It really is magical and a chance to use my imagination. There is something about virtual images that just can't compare to physical, tangible sets. They just lack the same depth and believability and they fail to convey the same wonder.

• Banned User

Part of me wants to agree, but the technology for ride simulations are getting Better.

Here, I imagine a que like that incorporated a re imagined lagoon and trailed down, under the lagoon, like an aquarium would. 20,000 Leagues it with Jules Verne style decor, ala Indiana Jones. In the middle of the Lagoon would be a facade for the ride building, it could be a giant mountain with a waterfall maybe add a food feature or monorail stop up there.
    At the end of the que line, the travelers board the vessels and embark on a Disneyfied Jules Verne sort of adventure. Encountering giant squids and sea beasts, Atlantis, whatnot...use your imagination. Following the star tours model, mix up the adventures so no two are the same.

That's all. And for the folks who like bubbles, there should be a portal window with JUST bubbles. Keep them entertained all day long.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123