Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tomorrowland

• Your Nemesis

Tomorrowland

Yes, another Tomorrowland thread.

But this is not a thread of my ideas for Tomorrowland, I wanted the opinions of the knowledgeable and phosisticated people of MC.

When (not if, when) TL receives proper attention, here are 5 questions I've been pondering:

1. Should the Iron Man E-ticket (or whatever ends up replacing Innoventions) utilize the original Carousel of Progress building design or should it be housed in a brand new building?

2. Most people agree that the peoplemover/rocket rods tracks should be used again but for what? An updated peoplemover? Part of the Iron Man E-ticket? Something else?

3. Is it finally time for Autopia and the subs to say goodbye? And what about the lagoon, does it stay and house a futuristic water-based attraction? Or should it be drained and removed?

4. The south side of Tommorowland. What needs to be done about the Starcade? Can you even call it an arcade anymore? Should Pizza Port reopen as Space Place? And if so, where? In its current location, in place of the Magic Eye Theater, or combined with the Starcade? And if Pizza Port is moved (which seems unlikely given its recent facelift) what should take its place? Does it make sense to have a 3-D theater now that Star Tours is in 3-D.

5. What about BLAB? Keep it, or remove it? Or does it simply need a different theme?

So what do you think? I look forward to your responses, particularly regarding the last question.
    Last edited by Syndrome; 11-15-2012 at 07:58 PM.
    Running is a mental sport and I am insane!

• DCP DLR Alumnus!

Re: Tomorrowland

Normally I don't really participate in these types of threads, but why not?

1. I would like to see the CoP building reused. Even thought Innoventions isn't a great attraction (okay, it's hard to call it an attraction to begin with!), I've always loved the look of the building. But something tells me that a new building will be put up if the replacement is Iron Man. If that's the case, hopefully the design will at least pay homage to CoP!

2. If it is possible at all to reuse or rebuild the tracks, I think a Peoplemover attraction would be most practical based on it's potential capacity alone. But personally I'd love to see a return of the Rocket Rods (with the same vehicles, please!). It was my favorite attraction when it was open, and despite its lack of story, I liked that it at least felt really futuristic- the whole idea of a new rapid transit system, future technologies, and maybe if it were ever to return, they could promote the concept of "green" energy with it. But unfortunately I don't see this happening. I'm just glad that there's an updated version of it next door (RSR in DCA)!

3. I want to see Autopia and the Subs stay. Again, there are some theming issues with them, but I think they could be fixed. Shorten Autopia's track to free up some real estate for expansion (basically eliminate the former Fantasyland Autopia portion), and change the cars to be powered by electrically charged batteries. The story could be changed to promote clean energy. Some scenery could be added/changed to make it "futuristic." As for the Subs, I really don't have any ideas. I would just really hate to see the Subs close again and/or to lose the lagoon. The lagoon adds atmosphere to that area of the park, and replacing it with just more buildings and concrete would be a shame in my opinion.

4. I'm a bit lost as to what would work well for this area. I think Starcade should have the second level reopened and that can become a full arcade. This would free up the bottom level for future development, although it wouldn't be a lot of extra space. Pizza Port should stay as it is. I kind of liked the idea someone mentioned in another thread about possibly moving Jedi Traning Academy into the theater.

5. Keep BLAB. I'd like to see some upgrades to the scenes though. It's a fun, interactive attraction that offers something for kids not tall enough for Space or Star Tours. Not to mention that it's a people eater! The exterior could maybe use some work though- maybe it could be repainted/rethemed to look similar to Star Tours' entrance (add some stainless steel framing, LED signage, etc).

Those are just my ideas. I think a major key to fixing Tomorrowland's theming would be to have all the exteriors have consistent color schemes and designs. If that were to happen, I feel like a lot of us might at least somewhat forgive any inconsistencies in the actual attractions themselves (such as having Nemo in a land that is supposed to be "futuristic").

On another note, I feel like Hollywood Land in DCA has the same problem as Tomorrowland- everything is centered around a general theme, but it's inconsistent in design (think of the Art Deco designs of some of the buildings versus the very modern designs of the Hollywood Studios portion of the area- Monsters, Muppets).
    Please check out my E-Ticket attraction, The Time of My Life!
    http://tcox91.tumblr.com

Quote Originally Posted by Syndrome View Post
    1. Should the Iron Man E-ticket (or whatever ends up replacing Innoventions) utilize the original Carousel of Progress building design or should it be housed in a brand new building?
    Personally, I think that Marvel properties have no place in Disneyland, but depending on the nature of a hypothetical Iron Man attraction, that building could be ideal. Additionally, the fact that nothing of particular interest has been there for decades now doesn't hurt.

2. Most people agree that the peoplemover/rocket rods tracks should be used again but for what? An updated peoplemover? Part of the Iron Man E-ticket? Something else?
    I'd settle for an updated PeopleMover if nobody can come up with a better idea--something that is kinetic without making that awful noise that the Rocket Rods made.

3. Is it finally time for Autopia and the subs to say goodbye?
    Absolutely not, because personal transportation on land and an undersea exploration system are still relevant to the future and have great potential for futuristic attractions (see the other recent thread for my sample ideas). Basic infrastructure like these examples are greatly needed in this land, the current pitiful, unworthy states of their respective theming notwithstanding.

And what about the lagoon, does it stay and house a futuristic water-based attraction? Or should it be drained and removed?
    It's there and has potential, so why remove it? Again, see the other recent thread for ideas.

5. What about BLAB? Keep it, or remove it? Or does it simply need a different theme?
    The futuristic shooting gallery concept can stay for now, but the theme and aesthetic are wrong, as it totally seems to be about toys. Sure, I can pretend that Buzz and his TV show are real, but the theming hinders rather than helps, and that's not good. I mean, I could close my eyes and imagine a lot of different things, but if I wanted to just do that, then what would be the point of going to a theme park?

Of course, that space could be used for better ideas, but Tomorrowland needs so much help that any suggestions should be part of a grander vision for the land.

By the way, admittedly Iron Man and all of the associated Stark Industries stuff is definitely futuristic and could even be the basis of Tomorrowland, but it just doesn't seem very...Disney....

• Your Nemesis

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Cook View Post
    Personally, I think that Marvel properties have no place in Disneyland
    By the way, admittedly Iron Man and all of the associated Stark Industries stuff is definitely futuristic and could even be the basis of Tomorrowland, but it just doesn't seem very...Disney....
    I agree with this. But I'm also not the one who proposed the idea.
    Running is a mental sport and I am insane!

• -

Quote Originally Posted by disney4me2001 View Post
    (such as having Nemo in a land that is supposed to be "futuristic")
    Cartoon fish aside, the ride itself is very futuristic.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Cook View Post
    but it just doesn't seem very...Disney....
    $4.9 billion says you're wrong...
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• SORCERER

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    Cartoon fish aside, the ride itself is very futuristic.

$4.9 billion says you're wrong...
    He didn't say Marvel isn't owned by Disney. it just doesn't seem that the characters of the marvel universe carry the same equalities of Disney Based characters. Hell even Star Wars and Indiana Jones characters feel more like Disney than marvel ever can. In my opinion, I feel Marvel is just a investment for Disney, it was purchased 2-3 years ago and no plans have ever official been made to send these characters or attractions into the parks. Disney purchased Marvel knowing they could never build a Marvel attraction in WDW, this doesn't mean that DLR is destined for Marvel, its just an option. I honestly do not believe it was there intent to build a land or theme park or attraction based on Marvel during the first 10 years of purchasing. They really need to Make Marvel there own. Currently, they let Marvel operate as they did, which is why it doesnt have that Disney Magic it desperately needs. This process will take the big wigs time to transision. Disney just needed some great live action franchise as there studio dept. has been in the tank the last 5 to 6 movies. Also, encase anyone remembers, Disney owned Power Rangers for a good chunk pf time (7 years), did that mean we were going to get power rangers in the park? Some things just cant fit in where they were not designed to be.

As for tommmorowland, It really needs some work. I dont think were going to see any work done until Big Thunder Mountain Railroad refurb is completed, (Jan to Oct 2013) as any tomorrow land overhaul will most likely include a bunch of ride closures, and Disney's more busy than its ever been with the new expansion of cars land, and buena vista street completed.
    Last edited by BradleyC; 11-16-2012 at 12:32 AM.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by BradleyC View Post
    .... it just doesn't seem that the characters of the marvel universe carry the same equalities of Disney Based characters. Hell even Star Wars and Indiana Jones characters feel more like Disney than marvel ever can. In my opinion, I feel Marvel is just a investment for Disney, it was purchased 2-3 years ago and no plans have ever official been made to send these characters or attractions into the parks...
    While I completely agree that Marvel doesn't belong in current Disney parks, in point of fact Marvel was purchased by Disney specifically to dominate the boy demographic.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Insomniac

1. If the rumors I've heard that CoP in WDW will be closing in 2013, I actually hope they bring it back to Disneyland. It might not happen, but even if not in its original location/ ride I want something CoP related somewhere in the parks. It will be a real shame to see that beautiful building go (Innoventions not so much) if Iron Man does happen. I have no problem with Marvel, if done only where it fits (unlike 99% of the Pixar tie ins).

2. At this point I doubt people mover/ rocket rods will return. Disney is a business and the finances just don't make sense. Demolish them before they rot any further.

3. Autopia/ subs are what they are. Not great, not horrible. They are just there. I have no real problems with either attractions (except for the prime real estate they take up). I don't see either going anywhere for the same reasons I don't see people mover returning.

4. Open up Magic Eye theater, return space place/ a new restaurant to where magic eye is (with JTA moved to here) with a new stage, Starcade gets used for the entrance and interactive queue of SM, Pizza port removed/ replaced by alien encounter.

5. Demolish the BLAB building. The building is old, ugly, and horribly inefficient with the space. The ride is based on toy buzz (not space ranger buzz) and is filled with cheap cardboard cut outs. Build a new multi level building that houses 2 rides, a walk through exhibit, and a smaller restaurant.
    Check out my Disney inspired creations.

https://picasaweb.google.com/110319393135337100862

• SORCERER

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    While I completely agree that Marvel doesn't belong in current Disney parks, in point of fact Marvel was purchased by Disney specifically to dominate the boy demographic.
    I agree with this also, Disney is looking to go into this market full force. Its why Disney XD was created. I'm sure will just see some Marvel Cartoons make its way onto XD, Star wars the Clone Wars is already being moved there next season, off cartoon network. I just cant see Disney making the leap of faith designing rides based off something they haven't established to have Disney affiliation yet, the day when it says "Disney's The Avengers" .is the day you will see a attraction based of it. Unfortunately like I said Disney wont flag something as theres until they take over creativeness of this franchise, allot of the general public really has no idea that Marvel is owned by Disney, because its not how its currently marketed.

Right now, I think Disney is really focussed on Star Wars, its something they have been eyeing forever and now they finally have full creative control over it. I think we will see more star wars integration into tommorowland and allot of re-working of the land itself (God please remove the old gold paint everywhere). I just hope Disney is ready to throw some more cash at renovations in 2014

• Minion

the subs are over.keep the lagoon and put in aquatopia. they can fit in about 2 "e"or "d" tickets in the autopia/subs area. the monorail train would stay. they can put a waywalk from the off road area of autopia to the queue for the ride is at.
    make Magic eye a sit down . R2P2 will become a ride,starcade can be something good....like and arcade

Go visit my theme park website!!! http://kolbykonnection.com

3. The lagoon is one of the best features of the park. I hope we don't lose it. I would also hate to see the subs go, but I can concede that they are a slow loading, low capacity ride that cost too much to operate and as such its difficult to make a case to keep them.

My kids and I love autopia. Soooooo much better than its Florida counterpart. Though I'll admit its better suited (themed) as a fantasyland (or toontown attraction) than tomorrowland. However we will never see them invest the time or expanse to relocate. Just leave it alone. Change the cars if you must, but leave the track and set design alone.

• formerly very helpful

... Also, encase anyone remembers, Disney owned Power Rangers for a good chunk pf time (7 years), did that mean we were going to get power rangers in the park? Some things just cant fit in where they were not designed to be...
    Actually, back a few years ago (I saw them in 2006) Power Rangers were seen as character meet and greets in WDW, in Disney Studios. However, they never made a complete attraction. For that matter, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles have also been seen in the Studios in Florida, although I don't know if they were ever owned by Disney.

• Element of Laughter

Personally, instead of an Iron Man attraction, I would rather see another Star Wars based attraction. . . I've always felt that Star Wars was a pretty good fit with Disney(When I was younger, I imagined retheming Space Mountain to Star Wars, and I would like to think that if Walt Disney had been alive at the time, the original Star Wars would have been a Disney movie to begin with). . . And even if they don't build another attraction, they can have other things, such as walkaround characters from the movies, such as C-3P0, Darth Vader, Chewbacca, an Ewok or 3, Boba Fett, Luke Skywalker, Jedi Mickey Mouse, or even (shudder) Jar Jar Binks.
    ​Pinkamena Diane Pie, is that you?

• Parking Lot > DCA

I've said this a thousand times, I really don't think anything is going to be done with these tracks. They have been sitting, rotting for years. If Disney wanted to do anything with them or had plans to bring something back, they wouldn't have let them get in the condition they are in right now. Aside from that, since the PeopleMover was replaced with Rocket Rods the attraction is no longer able to be considered "grandfathered in" in terms of safety regulations. So if they were to ever put something there in the future they would have to take extensive measures to not only re-enforce every inch of those tracks that have been sitting unused, but also comply with OSHA regulations as well. Something I just don't see happening. Now on the flip side of that, if something ever were to happen I would hope it would be something new and innovative, not a re-hash of an old attraction.

Personally, I think they should remove those tracks completely. It's time. They should keep the load/unload building and move the Astro Orbiter (re-themed, of course) back to it's original spot. Not only would this be awesome again, but it would also clear up all the congestion caused by the Astro Orbiter at the entrance of the land.

• A Pirate's Life For Me...

Way too far from the magic..Glendale, Arizona

Also, encase anyone remembers, Disney owned Power Rangers for a good chunk pf time (7 years), did that mean we were going to get power rangers in the park?
    Its kind of hard to compare Power Rangers to Marvel. Marvel is a much bigger entity than Power Rangers. Besides that out of 19 seasons of Power Rangers (All owners combined) there have been 16 different series. It would have been hard to put them into the parks permanently only to change it with every new season. Not to mention the Disney seasons of Power Rangers are really bad compared to the others.

Thank you Poisonedapples for my my my signature!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast