• Buena Vista St. & Red Car

The Small Details Matter. New Plaque's in Grizzly Peak

As many of you know, the "newly" designated Grizzly Peak land in DCA has been receiving several small updates throughout the past two or so years in order to give a more "vintage placemaking" to the land.

Most of it has been covered here on MiceChat and included changes like: removal of more contemporary/sports with replacement and addition of more period propping in the queue, GRR ride, GRR rafts, and RCCT, period appropriate music in queue, changes in land costuming (a 1930's-esque plaid, outdoorsy outfit for GRR/RRO and addition of orange ascot to the already 1930's national park ranger outfit of RCCT), and most recently, the replacement of the historically informative "road signs" that have been along Route 49 (the main path through land) since 2001. I'm sorry I have no pics but maybe one of the many MiceChat photo people could capture some.

I noticed this on my last trip and forgot to post but just saw a picture on Instagram of it and wanted to inform any interested MiceChatters. It's great seeing them replace and keep such wonderful little details. Those signs are very similar to historical signs you would see in national parks and help to educate guest on some of the buildings and machinery in the area and their significance to the CA Gold Rush of 1849 (the pelton wheel, steam donkey, etc.).

The new look seems to have removed the original DCA logo and instead features a newer "look" for Grizzly Peak (as if it were a logo for this fictional national park) and a banner saying "historical marker" over it; they are still engraved plaques but the feeling of the signs is less museum and more supportive of the land's "story". I know it's something most people don't notice, but I think that's all better in them keeping and plussing them. They are a great, educational piece of theming that really helps support the overall "story" of land, as according to Disney.

The official website refers to the land as:
    Journey to a land filled with tall evergreen trees, roaring rapids, rugged mountains and an adventure around every corner. Grizzly Peak pays homage to the wonders of nature, the majesty of the great outdoors and the pioneering spirit of the men and women who explored California's natural landscape — and sought to preserve its beauty through the creation of the national parks in the early 20th century.!
    This past Summer's issue of D23, which focused on the relaunch of DCA, elaborates further into the land's new focus by saying:
    Over the past year, changes have occurred in this lush area of the park. As the opulent foliage has grown, the area feels like one of the national parks it is based one...(goes into Lisa Girolami quote on "Up" related changes to RCCT)
    Subtle changes were also made to the splashtacular Grizzly River Run. "There's more propping that was added in the difference scenes as you go through the ride," Lisa says. "They changed up the queue a little bit and put in more period props to make you feel like you are in 1930s national park." Also of note in the queue - and much of the park - is the new music. "We changed the background music in the queue for the river ride to appropriate music, so we have banjos and folk music playing there instead of contemporary music," Lisa notes.

I personally love the atmosphere of this small land and am instantly brought back and away into the Sierra Nevada's as well as into the national parks I love so much. I feel the land has so much potential and hope one day, we see it fleshed out. Add more period propping to GRR as well as some AA's for goodness sakes, have the land's theme overtake Condor Flats and expand, and some type of other ride...I like the idea of some type of forest/mountain adventure ride in rugged, vintage jeeps or some type of vintage touring limousine that's gone off the road with a queue line that has the of some type of "mystery shack"/supernatural museum (bigfoot!).

• formerly very helpful

Re: The Small Details Matter. New Plaque's in Grizzly Peak

Anything that helps improve the atmosphere and fully immerse the guest in the story is alright with me.

Quote Originally Posted by sbk1234 View Post
    Anything that helps improve the atmosphere and fully immerse the guest in the story is alright with me.
    x2
    For the love of Disney....

• HYDRA

they are trying to erase DCA 1.0 from us
    Take a look at the theme park models I make at kolbykonnection.com

Quote Originally Posted by mratigan View Post
    And I've got no problem with that at all.

Find our trip report videos on Youtube at FreshBakedDisney. Find our blog at www.freshbakeddisney.com.

Quote Originally Posted by mratigan View Post
    Make it so.
    Madge, obsessive Disney freak!
    How everyone sounds singing "Let It Go"