View Poll Results: Christmas Parade - Exclusive or Not?

Voters
80. You may not vote on this poll
  • Christmas Parade for both day guests and special event guests.

32 40.00%
  • Christmas Parade for special event guests only.

6 7.50%
  • Christmas Parade for day guests only.

3 3.75%
  • Get rid of special events.

39 48.75%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• Senior Minion

Re: Christmas Parade for exclusive party guests only?

Quote Originally Posted by PiecesOfEight View Post
    I find it interesting when anyone here mentions anything that could be construed as "elitist" or "for rich people" that people get all up in arms, but Club 33 is so highly revered and something to attain.
    Club 33 doesn't upcharge its customers special-event prices for the privilege of being packed into a sardine mosh pit. The issue isn't elitism or "rich people," the issue is Disney's blatant greed in overselling special event tickets.

Quote Originally Posted by dictionary View Post
    You know they charge extra for these special events but when they fill the park almost as full as it normally would be it doesn't feel quite so special to me. Personally I would rather they just do away with them, having to pay extra for additonal effects just seems a tad bit greedy. Disney should change the motto from Where Dreams Come True, to Where Dreams Come True for the Right Price.
    Bingo.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    Club 33 doesn't upcharge its customers special-event prices for the privilege of being packed into a sardine mosh pit. The issue isn't elitism or "rich people," the issue is Disney's blatant greed in overselling special event tickets.
    You've completely missed my point, but that's OK.

• Minion

I don't want Christmas parties, period. Even if we still got the Christmas Fantasy Parade, I would be opposed to losing Believe in Holiday Magic for day guests. It's been running for 12 years now (well, technically 11 since it took a year off for the 50th), which is not exactly an insignificant amount of time. Plenty of time for people to build their Christmas traditions around it. I didn't mind so much when they made Halloween Screams party exclusive because they had only run the show for one Halloween season the year before. But don't mess with my Christmas.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinrar View Post
    We all know disney is greedy like every other company...
    I'm very sorry, but that is just not true. There are these things called ethics that some people have both in business and in their personal lives. There are ethical people in business and then there are others who are not. Businesses are in existence to make a profit. The amount of profit depends on many circumstances & factors. The attitude of "there is no such thing as an unfair profit" is inaccurate for many businesses. There are many types of people that run them & they should not all be typed as being greedy.

Let me give you an example. We will all probably watch some version of Dicken's "A Christmas Carol in the near future. There are two wonderful examples of two different types of businessmen. There is, of course, Scrooge. There is also the oft overlooked Fezziwig, Scrooge's old boss. Fezziwig is shown having a party, a Christmas party, for the employees and their families. The young Scrooge was fond of him & looked up to the old gentleman. There are a good number of Fezziwigs in real life.

Actions taken by the current Disney regime have proven which ethical model they have taken to heart. We also know which model that was embraced in the past. They have shown every indication of being able to maximize profitability at all costs. An exclusive Christmas parade here, special Halloween fireworks there, the cancellation of the Cast member Christmas parties, are all actions within the scope of this regime. It will continue until 3 spirits visit Iger one night or until the guests stop feeding their addiction.
    Skiddley Whiffers is a cruel mistress; cold and unforgiving.

• Minion

ORGOCH: Sorry, but ya lost me. Still cain't tell which side a the fence yer on, gomezaddams. ducklin'.

• Halloween 2011

While Christians may still be a majority in this country, they are not world-wide. I know that I won't be attending any Disneyland special event that focuses so heavily on the story of Christ, not being of that faith.

Probably better you won't be attending since you seem to be a scrouge. This is a great holiday season and Disney has done its best to appeal and is continuing to evolve. Just enjoy and watch others enjoy. I see Muslims, Jews, Christians and others all enjoying.

• AKA - DisneyChris

Quote Originally Posted by dougeebear View Post
    While Christians may still be a majority in this country, they are not world-wide. I know that I won't be attending any Disneyland special event that focuses so heavily on the story of Christ, not being of that faith.
    The Christmas Parade is totally secular. Almost all of the holiday events in Disneyland are. They do not emphasize the religious aspect of Christmas at all. The only exception is the Candlelight Processional, and since 1957 this has been a one or two time a year event. It is not part of the regular offerings. So, if you went to the park during the holidays, you would find no religious aspects at all. But, since they have discussed including the Candlelight Processional as part of the after hour special ticketed events, I would avoid those. They have mentioned that they may have many more Candlelight Processionals next year, like over 20, but this is a new thing. Traditionally it has always been done only once or twice a year.

Now Presenting --- DISNEYLAND - A MAGICAL AUDIO TOUR
    An amazing interactive audio experience found only at my website -www.DisneyChris.com

•   
    • Minion

It's all secular until we get to the Candlelight Processional, which is now apparently an every-night (or close to it) event in Disneyland in December. I do wish they'd throw Hanukkah a bone and have a menorah somewhere in the resort...anyway...

They have to offer something 'exclusive' for the parties or people won't want to attend. If Candlelight is that exclusive, it preserves the fireworks and parade for everyone. Since Candlelight is such a specifically religious event, it's less likely to have an effect on the resort crowd as a whole.

On the other hand, offer Candlelight as a paid-only perk and you a)cut off an event that has traditionally been free which is just not cool; b) alienate those who might enjoy a "holiday" party but not the retelling of the Christmas story.

Take away the fireworks or the parade from the general public and you're cheating them out of something that hs always been free with admission. It's that simple. Christmas is the one time of year when most parks/etc. offer free entertainment; for Disney to reverse that trend and take away the parade and fireworks would be crass. Having the Soundsational Parade roll through those streets decorated with holiday lights would be weird. Do they design a SECOND holiday parade? They could have something for the public and something else for the parties, but that would they?

If Disneyland were savvy they would try to come up with some holiday experiences that are not parties. Breakfast/lunch/dinner with Santa, perhaps?

• -

Quote Originally Posted by k_peek_2000 View Post
    Nope, it's being talked about lots at TDA. It's just a matter of them deciding to pull the trigger or not.
    Being talked about and being implemented are two different things. There are tons of things talked about at Disney everyday. Not all of them get implemented. The idea that it is definite for next year is most certainly internet rumor until there is something official announced.

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Emelius View Post
    The Christmas Parade is totally secular. Almost all of the holiday events in Disneyland are. They do not emphasize the religious aspect of Christmas at all.
    While Disney does focus on the retail side of the holidays more than the religious, a Christmas Tree and Santa are hardly non-secular. They are very much symbols of that religious holiday.
    Last edited by calsig31; 11-17-2012 at 08:57 AM.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Minion

I think the parade is the one thing that should stay for the non party guest if that does happen but there does need to be special offers during an up charge party, like special fireworks and character meet and greets. The biggest for me would be to actually cap the events so it feels like a special event with far less crowds!
    BGood! It's not just my motto its my name!

Quote Originally Posted by Malina View Post
    It's all secular until we get to the Candlelight Processional, which is now apparently an every-night (or close to it) event in Disneyland in December. I do wish they'd throw Hanukkah a bone and have a menorah somewhere in the resort...anyway...
    Name:  DSC_8843.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  133.6 KB

• -

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Keaton View Post
    Name:  DSC_8843.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  133.6 KB
    One tiny barely visible menorah is hardy representation.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    One tiny barely visible menorah is hardy representation.
    I was thinking more of a menorah that is like the Christmas trees, ie, you can see it as you're walking around, not one you have to search for. If they celebrate Day of the Dead, Mardi Gras, Lunar New Year, why not give this holiday and tradition a more visible nod, too?

• -

Quote Originally Posted by Malina View Post
    I was thinking more of a menorah that is like the Christmas trees, ie, you can see it as you're walking around, not one you have to search for. If they celebrate Day of the Dead, Mardi Gras, Lunar New Year, why not give this holiday and tradition a more visible nod, too?
    Exactly.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast