• ...TWO BITS!

Luigi Cast Members teaching you to fly

What do you think of the cast members that try to teach you how to fly the tires? There's been times I've seen them do a thorough spiel. Other times I've seen them wave people by. Or even spiel and let people walk by at the same time.

What do you prefer? Should there be a live person or a video screen showing you how to fly the tires?

"You're not thinking fourth dimensionally!" -Back to the Future

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
    -Jurassic Park

• I am number 4 of 999

Re: Luigi Cast Members teaching you to fly

I didn't think they did that anymore! I haven't seen it done the last three times I went. The only time I've ever heard the spiel was in the first few weeks of opening, and it was done by the most adorable guy ever, so I was completely fine with it. I told him I already knew how to do it, but he told me I could only have the Flying Tire sticker if I listened to him! STICKER!!!

Absolutely NO television screens.
    It's actually "Cars Land", not "Carsland".

I went on the flying tires 2 times. The first time, was in the morning around 9-10am. Our little group was stopped and a volunteer was requested. No kids or other adults volunteered, so I came forward, and demonstrated about moving your body to move the tire. I was given a little sticker calling me a flight instructor.

When I went on the ride a day later around dinner time, there was no demonstration/volunteer spiel.

I was wondering if this is just occasional or random, like those friskings or full-body scans you get at the airport.

• Sshhh, being very quiet

The last two times I've riden the tires there has been no instructions given. I wonder if its just assumed that people can hear Luigi's instructions in the overhead or just read the BIG signs in the queue to LEAN to make the tire move.
    Last edited by clara; 01-01-2013 at 10:49 PM.

• Oh, I just LOVE your hat!

I don't see why this would be necessary. It probably saves times without a spiel. Guests are given the instructions in numerous ways, either directly or indirectly throughout the queue. If they're listening, Luigi says them, there are signs in the planters with sketches of leaning, or you just watch the other people on the ride as you wait and figure it out then. Or they can ask. If they're getting on and don't know how they move, they should have asked.
    Because Bert Said So!

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by planetsix View Post
    I don't see why this would be necessary. It probably saves times without a spiel. Guests are given the instructions in numerous ways, either directly or indirectly throughout the queue. If they're listening, Luigi says them, there are signs in the planters with sketches of leaning, or you just watch the other people on the ride as you wait and figure it out then. Or they can ask. If they're getting on and don't know how they move, they should have asked.
    I think part of it is to give the illusion that you're not waiting as long. There was some study (or something) done where it was shown that active waiting time seemed to be shorter than inactive waiting. That is, if a CM is teaching a group of guests how to move their tires, they are still waiting in line but it'll seem like less of a wait because they're doing something rather than just standing around.

Plus, it's fun to be the volunteer. ;P

• Foolish Mortal

When I went on the ride back in September, there was an enthusiastic CM whom gave the spiel. He was great, and we loved it. In todays age of technology take-over, I found it very refreshing to have a live human to interact with.