Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

• Banned User

Re: What's the oldest ride at Disneyland that you were there for the year that it ope

After riding the opening of Big Thunder Mountain, a friend and I went home and broke out the clay and popsickle sticks, ultimately making our own Big Thunder. We made it to the same scale as a current line of matchbox mine trains. When it was done and dried, we could put the train at the top and let it roll down the clay-molded track which spun in and out of a few turns before reaching the base. I guess that ride made an impact on me at that time.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Re: What's the oldest ride at Disneyland that you were there for the year that it ope

Was there anything new for 1985? If not, then Splash Mountain in 1989.

• The doctor is in

I guess Splash Mountain is another one for me. I could say I was in the park when it opened but I wasn't able to ride because I was an infant.
    I wish Frozen would have never been made.

• Silly Goose...

Star Tours in 1987.
    On Splash Mountain at Disney World, these two teenagers behind me initially seemed friendly but when the ride actually started they started shouting the N-Word over and over again and jumped out just before the first drop and started stomping on the scenery.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dancreedenjr/

Splash Mountain I want to say 1989?

Indiana Jones in 1995... we actually went on the day it opened because my grandmother HAD TO GO ON THE INDIANA JONES RIDE.

I was too small to ride it though

• Banned User

Technically speaking, I was there the year the Haunted Mansion opened (1969). There were black-and-white Polaroids dated that year in the family album of me as a 3 year old walking around the Park, meeting the Three Little Pigs near It's A Small World, and so forth (wish I had copies of them to share here).

However, as far as my memory serves, the earliest visit that I actually recall was around 1972, when Bear Country and the Country Bear Jamboree opened. I was also there the year America Sings opened (1974), when Mission to Mars opened (1975), and I also distinctly remember going in 1977, when Space Mountain opened. I had an early Space Mountain attraction poster on my wall* for several years, purchased at the Park in 1977. I also more clearly remember the Abominable Snowman refurb the Matterhorn received in 1978 (it was a big deal, very heavily promoted), as well as Big Thunder Mountain Railroad opening in 1979.

*This one.

• HYDRA

star tours 2.0
    i was also there for the day DCA reopened june 15......
    Take a look at the theme park models I make at kolbykonnection.com

• some assembly required

Quote Originally Posted by Retrocool View Post
    I also more clearly remember the Abominable Snowman refurb the Matterhorn received in 1978 (it was a big deal, very heavily promoted), as well as Big Thunder Mountain Railroad opening in 1979.
    I remember the promotion very well. It had my whole family talking - I didn't get it tho b/c of my age, but that was soon to change. I was just tall enough to ride my first coaster after Matterhorn 2.0 opened that year. In fact it was my first DL ride ever! Two things happened to me...
    1. I became an instant coaster fan (so the next year, riding BTMRR was a HUGE deal to me)
    2. I became a fan of rock-work. Now as an adult in my 30s, I consider it an overlooked art form. (and riding BTMRR was a HUGE deal to me X2 !!!!)
    ~Jay

"Ahh-chooo!" ~ Walt Disney
    "Bless you." ~ My Grandfather
    (Disneyland, circa 1957)

Bear country. I even have a vague memory of the construction walls just beyond the Haunted Mansion.

Star Tours in '87 for me. It was awesome!

• Banned User

Haunted Mansion, in 1969. We were there in September, so it was almost the opening month. That was my first ever visit, and first trip to Cali.

I do have some pics from that trip -- a little blond kid meeting Mickey -- but not of the Mansion.
    Last edited by disneyfann121; 12-04-2012 at 07:42 PM.

I think mine counts for both opening and closing.
    "Small World" at the '64 World's Fair!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234