Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• Parking Lot > DCA

Re: Does anyone remember the falling ice effect in Indy?

I wish I remembered this effect. I do, however remember my mom being there for the media day and getting to ride it after a scant 3-4 hour line. We still have the decoder cards and the passport booklet and all that. She too recalls it being more violent than it is now, which to me is a shame! I wish it could still operate like that today!

• The doctor is in

I'll have to ask my mom if we still have our old Disneyland maps from 1995 and earlier. I think they kept some of that stuff for nostalgia. I remember seeing an old map with Indiana Jones on the cover at one point.
    I am so sick of Frozen I can't even describe the feeling.

• Just this guy......

Quote Originally Posted by Professortango View Post
    Yes, it's as described above. You can still hear the sound effect of crumbling rocks just before your jeep turns left towards the mummy chamber. It was a great effect, yet poorly designed. I have heard it either rusted or had a mechanical failure and it is unfixable without tearing out the detailed wall and rockwork built over the apparatus.
    This is what I remember.

Quote Originally Posted by castmember88 View Post
    The ice effect will not return sadly. However, a ton of effects have been fixed up and replaced. It should be like it was when it opened, minus the ice and the extremely bumpy cars. There will be a newer-ish show scene, but I can't give any details. It will definitely be worth it to ride it again.
    this just got me excited to ride it again!!!!

while on this topic, i recently found my AT&T card they used to give out as you entered with the decoder on it to read the symbols while waiting.
    Props to Poisonedapples for the cool sig!

• Foolish Mortal

The ice effect will not return sadly. However, a ton of effects have been fixed up and replaced. It should be like it was when it opened, minus the ice and the extremely bumpy cars. There will be a newer-ish show scene, but I can't give any details. It will definitely be worth it to ride it again.
    I'm excited to ride it now!

By the way when does the ride open back up again?

"So make the best of this test and don't ask why. It's not a question but a lesson learned in time."- Green Day
    "The harder you work, the luckier you get."- Billie Joe Armstrong
    "This is my rage. This is my love. This is my town. This is my city. This is my life."

• The doctor is in

Quote Originally Posted by Slappypunk View Post
    I'm excited to ride it now!

By the way when does the ride open back up again?
    I think it reopens the second week of December.
    I am so sick of Frozen I can't even describe the feeling.

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by DrFink View Post
    I think it reopens the second week of December.
    On the 8th.

Quote Originally Posted by Notorious1 View Post
    this just got me excited to ride it again!!!!

while on this topic, i recently found my AT&T card they used to give out as you entered with the decoder on it to read the symbols while waiting.
    It's a shame the standby line is outside now. They could just put a QR code at the entrance so people could download a decoder on their phones and give people something to do while in line.

• It all started on a train

Hemet, Ca (70 miles from Disneyland, just close enough to bike there ;) )

I BARELY remember this effect. I was just a youngling and this ride scared the poop out of me haha.
    One of the things I am dissapointed in Indiana Jones today is you don't wait in the amazing que line that they created anymore, it's all outside and they make you rush through the line without a chance to admire it all. I also miss the decipher cards they handed out so you can translate the messages spread through out the que.
    I also remember there being much more fire effects in the ride instead of just one hither and tither..

"Why do we fall? So we can learn to pick ourselves back up." - Alfred Pennyworth - Batman Begins

• Parking Lot > DCA

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyTrains View Post
    I also remember there being much more fire effects in the ride instead of just one hither and tither..
    I like to call that the "Bic lighter effect"

Quote Originally Posted by explodingboy View Post
    I like to call that the "Bic lighter effect"

I don't mean to burst anyones bubble, but the fire effects havent changed. Occasionally they wouldn't work, but there has only been 3 of them since the ride opened. Sadly a person's memory isn't the best resource haha. The commercials had a ton of added pyro though, just for the commercials though.

• Parking Lot > DCA

I don't mean to burst anyones bubble, but the fire effects havent changed. Occasionally they wouldn't work, but there has only been 3 of them since the ride opened. Sadly a person's memory isn't the best resource haha. The commercials had a ton of added pyro though, just for the commercials though.
    Are you sure? I feel like there is no way that many people's memories (that I've heard on multiple forums, and in conversations) are wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by explodingboy View Post
    Are you sure? I feel like there is no way that many people's memories (that I've heard on multiple forums, and in conversations) are wrong.
    Positive. I think most people are associating the smoke effects with fire as well (smoke blasted with a red light).

• It all started on a train

Hemet, Ca (70 miles from Disneyland, just close enough to bike there ;) )

Huh. Interesting. Maybe I think they've cut it down a bit is because the first time I rode it was like in '96/'97. I was only 4-5 then XD So it is entirely possible I made things a lot worse and over dramatized a few things.

"Why do we fall? So we can learn to pick ourselves back up." - Alfred Pennyworth - Batman Begins

• The "zip" in your doo dah

Actually, the original fire effects were way more impressive than they are now. There was a vortex of fire in the big room with the bridge with occasional "fire balls". I remember thinking that it must cost a fortune to keep those effects going - and I'm certain that it was the operating costs that led to their demise. What is left pales by comparison. But, I doubt very much that they will ever spend that kind of money on ongoing ride effects ever again.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12