Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Does anyone remember the falling ice effect in Indy?

Where was it? What was it like? Are they going to fix it during the rehab?

• ~

Re: Does anyone remember the falling ice effect in Indy?

I'm not certain if this is 100% accurate, so some other Mice Chatter can follow me up on this, but I believe that it was after you pass the gate and first emerge onto the overlook section and see the giant stone skull of Mara. Apparently, a laser would shoot from Mara's eye and ice, dyed the color brown to resemble the ceiling's color, would fall and create the illusion that the ceiling was crumbling. I never saw it, but it sounds like an incredible effect. As to whether or not they're fixing it during the rehab, I have no idea, but I would love to see the effect return.

Yes, it's as described above. You can still hear the sound effect of crumbling rocks just before your jeep turns left towards the mummy chamber. It was a great effect, yet poorly designed. I have heard it either rusted or had a mechanical failure and it is unfixable without tearing out the detailed wall and rockwork built over the apparatus.
    Women, they make the highs higher and the lows more frequent.

• Minion

I heard there was a lot more effects during opening year that are now gone like the car would move A LOT more .and other etc cool stuff. Sigh

We rode Indiana Jones 3 weeks after it had opened and saw this effect. As stated above, it was after you come down the steps and into the main room. There was the laser effect, real fire shooting up from the floor and the ice boulders falling form the ceiling with loads of sound effects. It was super impressive and pales in comparison to today.

Quote Originally Posted by gatheringrosebuds View Post
    I'm not certain if this is 100% accurate, so some other Mice Chatter can follow me up on this, but I believe that it was after you pass the gate and first emerge onto the overlook section and see the giant stone skull of Mara. Apparently, a laser would shoot from Mara's eye and ice, dyed the color brown to resemble the ceiling's color, would fall and create the illusion that the ceiling was crumbling. I never saw it, but it sounds like an incredible effect. As to whether or not they're fixing it during the rehab, I have no idea, but I would love to see the effect return.
    My understanding also...
    For the love of Disney....

• a damsel not in distress

Quote Originally Posted by DannyLand View Post
    I heard there was a lot more effects during opening year that are now gone like the car would move A LOT more .and other etc cool stuff. Sigh
    i went on indy during that first year and i remember being terrified and really overwhelmed by everything going on (granted, i was six). when i went on again years later, i was really unimpressed and kept thinking things were missing, but chalked it up to being an adult. however, if a bunch of effects from those early days are now gone, then my feelings on that second ride make a lot more sense.

"oh, i just love happy endings!"

• The doctor is in

I remember that effect. I rode Indiana Jones the year it opened so I can tell anyone wondering that the ride was a lot different in the beginning. There were more effects and it was more intense. The last couple times I have been on Indiana Jones it hasn't been that great. Half the effects didn't work and they have the sound system way too loud. I thought I went deaf after the whip-cracks.
    Please... put Guardians of the Galaxy in Tomorrowland.

• SORCERER

Cant wait for this to be reopened, but sadly I do not think this effect will return unless indy gets a 1 year renovation. Time will tell. Now that disney owns Indiana Jones Likeness and no longer have to pay for licensing, this could leave the budget more open for this attraction.

It was a lot more violent when it opened, but also each car has a different characteristic so some rides will be more extreme than others. The snake much more toned down. Apparently it was due to maintenance issues, it was wearing too quickly so they toned the snake strike effect down. I think I asked this in a previous post. Its still one of my favorite rides though. Hopefully they bring it back to its opening day level. Anyone know what they are doing on it exactly? Sadly I am going the week before it reopens (AP expiring).

• The doctor is in

I also remember the snake being a lot scarier than it is now. It used to strike farther down.
    Please... put Guardians of the Galaxy in Tomorrowland.

• MaliBOOMer

There is a video somewhere of the falling ice effect on Indiana Jones. Even despite Indiana Jones state right before the refurb, the doors stuck open, boulder broken. You know seen better days, still when someone I know got back from Disneyland from their first ever trip, it was still his favorite ride. He loved it, he said it had the best effects in the park in his opinion. Better than RSR he said.

Click this link and check out post #49: Big news about indiana jones!!
    Name:  fallingrock0-1.jpg
Views: 414
Size:  57.1 KB

Name:  fallingrock3.jpg
Views: 415
Size:  106.2 KB

Seen in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nV5nx1WAlk
    Last edited by Quentin; 11-20-2012 at 12:16 AM.
    Favorite Ride: Tower of Terror

• Under that tree again!

Very clean interior footage. I know there is another video, maybe a commercial that has quality like this. Perhaps in a video like this you can spot the collapsing roof effect.

The ice effect will not return sadly. However, a ton of effects have been fixed up and replaced. It should be like it was when it opened, minus the ice and the extremely bumpy cars. There will be a newer-ish show scene, but I can't give any details. It will definitely be worth it to ride it again.

• Selfie Expert

Quote Originally Posted by castmember88 View Post
    The ice effect will not return sadly. However, a ton of effects have been fixed up and replaced. It should be like it was when it opened, minus the ice and the extremely bumpy cars. There will be a newer-ish show scene, but I can't give any details. It will definitely be worth it to ride it again.
    I can't WAIT to see the refurb results!! I'll be there the week after it reopens, and it'll be especially exciting since I'm taking first-timers. Three more weeks!!!

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast