View Poll Results: Would you be OK with a 3-year complete closure of Tomorrowland for a full overhaul?

Voters
94. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! It would be worth it!

59 62.77%
  • No! It would not be worth it!

35 37.23%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• SORCERER

Re: Would you be OK with a 3-year complete closure of Tomorrowland for a full overhau

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Emelius View Post
    absolutely - I think it would be possible to enter some of the buildings by different routes. For instance: They could make a special passageway to Space Mountain from behind Main Street. They could also make a special passage to Star Tours from the Hub - as well as Buzz light-year. The Monorail could be accessed from the Matterhorn side. They could build temporary tunnels leading to all these, to both hide the construction and provide a safe way for guests to get ta and from these. Aside from those four attractions, the rest would be ok to shut down for a couple years. I think it could be done for sure. Fantasyland was closed for almost two years during the 80's, when it was redone. So it is not an impossible thing to do.

---------- Post added 11-18-2012 at 02:50 PM ----------

I did not read you specifications above before I posted my response. But I think they could still operate the four attractions mentioned before, and it would not be necessary to close them. Your premise is not really how it would work, i don't think.
    Agreed it would just look like California Adventure did. But it is desperately needed, Man I can see it already. Maybe dreams will come true and tommorowland will get the renovation it desperately needs.

Re: Would you be OK with a 3-year complete closure of Tomorrowland for a full overhau

Quote Originally Posted by PiecesOfEight View Post

• The entire land would be off limits for three full years, including Space Mountain and Star Tours!

• When it reopened, it would exceed your expectations, no matter what they are (your favorite attractions stay, favorite attractions from Yesterland return, great new attractions)!
    A Tomorrowland that "exceeded expectations" would not include Space Mountain.

But yes, your overall hypothetical is acceptable. I'm ok with it. They did this with Fantasyland in the 80's, and it is unquestionably better. I'm just wondering if this includes the spaghetti-bowl Autopia/Monorail/Peoplemover/Subs/Motor Boat area. If you include that and what we traditionally assume is Tomorrowland, you are taking a full 1/4th of the park out of operation.

Yes.......but why 3 years??? How come Universal seems to build and open stuff in half the time? During the construction to opening phase of the Seven Dwarfs mine coaster, Uni-Orlando will build and open 3 E-tickets, 1 C-ticket, and 2 new "lands".

• Senior Minion

Absolutely yes!
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Down Pluto!

My brain says YES!
    My gut says no, they will turn it into Marvelland...

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

• ~

Definitely.

I mean, I know this is a completely hypothetical question considering that Disney would most likely approach such a large project in a way that still allowed guests to access some of the land's more popular attractions or approach the project in peices and whatnot.

But even if it was a complete three year closure, my answer is still, without a trace of hesitation, hell yes.

I mean, a new Tomorrowland that exceeds every single one of my expectations? There's so much potential in the idea of Tomorrowland, and if all that potential were unleashed in a fury of creative passion to create this marvelous land brimming with originality and energy and style and excitement, a three year wait would be nothing.

Besides, the only attractions that I really go on in Tomorrowland are Space Mountain and ocassionally Star Tours: The Advenures Continue. And the train, if that counts.

• Minion

I'm definitely up for that.
    Princess of Agrabah and Queen of Never Land

• Heavy Breather

If they were to do this, then FNSV, Autopia, and the old PM tracks would be domolished for new attractions. Such as a TRON attraction. Buzz would be replaced with a new version of Adventure thru Inner Space, Innoventions would be replaced with a ride involving time travel. Star Tours and Space Mountain would be the only remaining attractions.

What is thy bidding, my Mouseter?

Check out my tumblr: http://dvader2015.tumblr.com/

• I love that tiny bear!

If all the hypotheticals in your question actually happened which (for me) would certainly include a return of the Peoplemover or something even better, and probably something really cool to replace Buzz, then yes. Of course, being a tourist, that would probably mean missing Tomorrowland at most 2-3 visits.

In the real world I can't imagine Disney closing the whole land for 3 years (or if they somehow did, I can't imagine them exceeding my hopes and dreams). But in the fantasy world, yes, I'd be OK with it. Space Mountain is my favorite part of Tomorrowland and it already had an extended closure circa 2004/2005, right? And as sad as I was, I somehow lived.

• Dead men tell no tales.

If it meant no Star Tours or no Space Mountain, no way. I don't care how amazing the renovation is, I don't think I could LIVE 3 years without riding Space Mountain or Star Tours.

Quote Originally Posted by sbk1234 View Post
    I'd close it for three years, but only if the end result would be spectacular. it would be worth it.
    I agree.

• Insomniac

Some of you seem to treat it as if closing SM, ST, Monorail, etc will only impact you not being able to experience those attractions. That is not the case. Closing 2-3 major attractions (and an entire area) off will have a major impact on crowd control, wait times for the other e-tickets, lines at restaurants, ect. I have been in the parks during a major renovation to one or more e-tickets/ areas, it can get messy. Decreasing capacity is never fun.
    Check out my Disney inspired creations.

https://picasaweb.google.com/110319393135337100862

• The doctor is in

If any future refurb of Tomorrowland as a whole happens I hope they demolish the Peoplemover track once and for all. Put an end to the "bring back the Peoplemover" arguments that infiltrate every conversation about Tomorrowland.

If they did do this I think Autopia needs to be replaced, the Peoplemover track needs to be removed, and Innoventions needs to be transformed into whatever Iron Man attraction they are planning. Star Tours and Space Mountain will remain no matter what. I also think the Finding Nemo submarines will stay, as well. The refurb is too new to just turn back on and the fact that it consistently has a 45min wait time proves to Disney that people do enjoy the ride. As much as I wouldn't mind the space being used for something else it won't happen.
    I am so sick of Frozen I can't even describe the feeling.

• some assembly required

Hey Mr/Miss 8,
    Even tho your parameters are kinda stict (yes or no), I have to say...

I would vote "yes" (and I did).

But I cannot NOT qualify my answer:

...only if it truely exceeded my realistic expectations. After all, TL just seems like a place I have to go thru to get to 2 of my fave rides. These two rides (Space and ST), exist in my least fave land. So yes, I would love to have TL live up to it's potential I have set in my mind.

...only if a few key events happened before hand. I would want a moderately re-furb'd Frontierland (inc. the soon-to-be newly tracked/expanded BTMRR), a new e-ticket in Frontierland (a water ride is needed imo). Also, it needs the addition of a d-ticket ppl eater. This moderate re-furb in Frontierland would have to include a ton of space to put ppl (walkways, queues, restaurants, retail). It would have to happen first b/c Frontierland can expand and TL cannot, at least not like Frontierland can.

...then, and only then, would I be ok with TL shutting down a la Fantasyland circa early 80s. I cannot go thru another huge re-furb of the resort, esp. if there is no place for the guests to go. If TL shut down for a re-furb, I would probably avoid the resort for the duration. The displacement of guests would be such a headache, and while I feel it would be worth it in the end, I couldn't deal with Disneyland for 3 years while it was outta control numbers of guests/less staff.

This is a compelling question! I would even say "yes" to the closure of the entire park while it recieved a facelift and some stellar additions over the course of 3 years. I wonder if they could do it? hmmmm. I may have to steal your idea and ask a question in a new thread!!!
    ~Jay

"Ahh-chooo!" ~ Walt Disney
    "Bless you." ~ My Grandfather
    (Disneyland, circa 1957)

Most of us would support just about anything for a properly re-Imagineered and rebuilt TomorrowLand. Bronco21 hits on the major impracticality of a full closure (especially if it would include the submarine lagoon/Autopia areas. We've dealt with large closures before, the the 1980's FanatasyLand construction & the 1990's TomorrowLand efforts were done at times of much lower crowd levels, and the panoply of walls we mouse-mazed our way through during the re-Imagineering of DCA were erected at a time when that park still served primarily as an overflow for Disneyland. You could not get away that level of park closure in DCA today, and such a staggeringly large closure in Disneyland would be crushing (in more ways than one).

That being said, enduring rotating substantial closures in and around TomorrowLand would be worth it IF the finished product met our expectations. The rumors of an Iron Man themed attraction being added DO NOT give hope that those expectations will be met. Don't get me wrong, an Iron Man attraction, especially a top-level E ticket, could be incredible, but just not at Disneyland. Along those same lines, I'm also not keen to see more Star Wars-themed rides & attractions in the park, even though that franchise is now a Disney property.

Any reworking of TomorrowLand really needs to recapture the theming and inspiratation captured by Walt's original (and the 1960's additions). If only John Lasseter would obsess over TomorrowLand the same way he did over Cars Land (and even Finding Nemo Submarine Adventure before that), I would feel a little more comfortable about the future of TomorrowLand.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast