View Poll Results: Would you be OK with a 3-year complete closure of Tomorrowland for a full overhaul?

Voters
94. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! It would be worth it!

59 62.77%
  • No! It would not be worth it!

35 37.23%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• Minion

Re: Would you be OK with a 3-year complete closure of Tomorrowland for a full overhau

Hypothetically speaking, if for some strange reason they really did need to shut out all of TL for an entire 3 years, and it really DID exceed my expectations upon reopening (this would mean the return of the Peoplemover, Rocket Jets back in their rightful spot, none of the new attractions would have movie tie-ins, Nemo would be removed from the subs, and the land itself would be aesthetically amazing), then heck yeah.

Realistically speaking however, they wouldn't need to shut down the entire land, it wouldn't take 3 years, and they'd probably make every single attraction in the whole place movie-based. In that case, heck NO.

Re: Would you be OK with a 3-year complete closure of Tomorrowland for a full overhau

Will a full overhaul really take 3 years? I think SM and ST can stay open for most of the time and close for couple of months if it is required. If it take 3 years to build, to make up for the failed TL'98 and remove any trace of it, then yes. It would need to include PM 2.0, Rockets back on the tower, a better Sub, unified exterior theming and maybe gutted some of the building and new layout. A full overhaul also mean any thing from the 60's TL, (design not rides) should go.
    Murphy,with that neck, is like E.T. in dragon form

• Minion

I say no. Closing down an entire land would have really bad effects on the rest of the park. Wait lines for every other attraction would all go up a bit because the people who would be in Tomorrowland are now elsewhere. If they're not even at the park, then Disney is losing out on some revenue and might have to make up the costs elsewhere.

Closing Tomorrowland would hurt a lot of vacations for tourists who weren't aware of the closure. It's fine if individual attractions are closed, especially if it's Innoventions, but closing down more than a handful of attractions is a pretty big blow and an even worse surprise.

•   
    • Minion

No.

I for one really don't think Tomorrowland as a whole needs to be shut down. The Innoventions and Magic Eye could be renovated and replaced, and the People Mover tracks should probably go, but I think to shut it down totally would be a mistake. To lose Space Mountain and Star Tours for three years would be pretty devastating. A closure of Tomorrowland would also take out the Monorail -- which would knock out the only (non-walking) transportation option from DTD.

I think the mishmash works...we don't know what the future will hold. I guess I'd much rather see them approach the attractions like Innoventions one by one and improve the land without shutting it all down. I wish they'd improve some of the steampunk theming (I think it works in some places) instead of erasing it all, too.

I would say no....
    For the love of Disney....

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

No....I want the end product...but do it like how the Pier redoing it section by section....no reason to close 7 attractions and a live show and 2 restaurants.....how would they deal with Christmas and summer crowds?

I say start at Auropia and Inoventions...and move to the front of the land

I would hope the new DCA would be a distraction while this was taking place. But three years might be pushing it.
    If they were able to do a modular build system, they could speed up the process and maybe do it in a year and a half. I could tolerate that.
    Equally as important, what's going away?
    The purge:
    Astro Orbiter
    Captain EO (The whole theater)
    Nemo (The whole ride, not just a make-over)
    Starcade
    Innoventions
    The People Mover track
    Buzz
    Autopia (Or at least cut it down and update with electric or green cars)

And re-design Space Mountain. (Do away with the unused space, redo the track, and add a linear induction motor)

This, I think would certainly clear up a lot of space.

That's my three cents.
    With kind regards,
    The Tony

• Diva Extrodinaire

I think it is not necessary to close down all of Tomorrowland, but if they have to close down by sections for a couple of months, that is alright. It depends on what the final plans for renovation are.
    ONE TWO THREE NOT ONLY YOU AND ME

Considering I don't visit twenty times a year I would be fine with them closing down Tomorrowland and making it a place that exceeds my expectations. I want Star Wars, and dammit I want my Iron Man!

•   
    • Banned User

Normally I'd side with "no" but in the case of Tomorrowland? Yeah, I'd be all over that. It's the one part of any DL park I've had enough issues with that a total tear-down and rebuild makes perfect sense. Level it all right to the ground and start over, none of this "keeping it open in sections" BS. Just fence it off and start over.

If I recall my Disney history it was the last land in the park to be built and was basically supported by nothing but sponsors. It was a land built on quick-fixes and every decade or so it got additions and facelifts. It's like doing bodywork on a Studebaker. Just stop and start over with a new approach.

I would only agree to this on Tomorrowland and nothing else.

No! That is just too much guest capacity to shut down at one time, or for that long of a time. Any major rehab or rebuild would have to be done in phases.

Fifthrider has a point.
    We think of many things in DL as cannon to the original '55 version. Frontier Land, Fantasy Land, TSL, and NO[] are timeless. TL is the one land that is, or should be, subject to major overhauls. That's the trouble with committing to "tomorrow." Tomorrow is constantly changing. Would it be so bad to re-theme the area as Space Land (oxymoron of course).
    With kind regards,
    The Tony

Yes!! It would be worth it in the long run. Plus, isn't anticipation half the fun?

• My Children's Father

Seeing as I would not have a choice (I'm not Bob Iger, or even John Lassiter), I'd be OK with it. But I probably would not have an AP or otherwise go to the park at that time, unless they offered a huge "pardon our dust" discount.

But I cannot imagine what could possibly take so long to build, especially given the "freedom" of being able to close down the entire land. Doing that would reduce construction time tremendously ..... you should be able to build an entire park in three years.
    "She's taking everything. She's taking the house, she's taking the kid, she's taking the dog. IT'S NOT EVEN HER DOG. IT'S MY DOG! SHE'S TAKING . . . MY DOG!"
    - Ron Livingston, "Band of Brothers"

Yes, if there was some kind of pathway to Space Mountain. If anyone is familiar with the construction path in Vegas on Las Vegas Blvd and there's construction pathways with overhead planks of wood protecting the pedestrians. What am I talking about I'd even be Ok with no Space Mountain TL needs an overhaul so bad.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast