Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

• DLR Enthusiast

Re: Matterhorn has been ruined

I rode it in October and hated every minute of it. Used to love that ride, but the bobsleds have ruined it for me.
    -Brian - Find me on Facebook

• Minion

ORDDU: There's absolutely nothing wrong in saying that the ride has been ruined for certain individuals for the reasons they have given. To criticize this opinion is what's really 'hyperbole'. It's also rather insensitive toward them. Enough others have pointed out the same uncomfortable and even physically hurtful aspects of the new bobsleds to imply this ride has been ruined for quite a few.

Well I guess I'm in the minority here, but I really didn't mind the new bobsleds. Prior to going on 11/12 I read a lot of complaints about them and was afraid it would hurt my back since I have sciatica issues. Much to my surprise it really didn't bother me at all and I rode it 4 times! Strangely enough it actually hurt my butt more in the old sleds when I rode last year. I also did not notice it being any slower. Don't get me wrong I'm not saying I love the new sleds, being 6 ft tall and large I find the new ones very awkward to get into, but I guess I just don't find them as uncomfortable as most people. Maybe it's because I have a lot of my own padding built in, LOL! The ride is quite jarring and I did think it felt a little more rough in the new sleds but I personally did not find it ruined at all and still consider it one of my favorites. Maybe the new sleds affect smaller build people more than us large folks?

•   
    • Insert Hilarious Title

Ironically, the Matterhorn is the closest of all the "mountains" to being accurate in its performance. A real bobsled is cramped and teeth-rattling, bumpy as all heck.
    Feel free to add me as a friend on Facebook (Just mention MiceChat)

"The thing that makes us different is our way of thinking, our judgement and experience acquired over the years. Giving it 'heart.' Others haven't understood the public. We developed a psychological approach to everything we do here. We seem to know when to 'tap the heart.' Others have hit the intellect. We can hit them in an emotional way. Those that appeal to the intellect only appeal to a very limited group. Let's not let the mechanics get in here and foul the whole thing." -Walt Disney

• Seeker of Fun

I personally wouldn't say it's ruined, but it was a let down. I found myself cramped in the seat with no leg room at all. The odd part to me though, was the hand "grip" placement. It was nearly behind me in the sled. The only thing I was thinking was total design flaw.
    Stockholder and Walt Disney Autograph holder!!

• I'm from Canada eh!

Rode it last vacation and really didn't have an issue. Maybe it is time for Disney and Lazy-boy to spark up a partnership and fix those sleads.

• Quintessential Studmuffin

in So Cal but my mind is in disneyland!!!

I'm a pretty big guy and I didn't have any problems with the new sleds. But the ride seems a bit slower. May I right, guys?

How does disney decide to make the sitting room smaller on the ride? Do they do any surveys of the height of people? I mean sure there's average size people and then there're people with long legs and big feet that can't squeeze into tight places. It used to be my second favorite ride and now it's my least. It's only two people less per pair of sleds.

One solution is they could bring back some of the older sleds.

• I'm a Lutheran

I'm only inclined to ride the Matterhorn when the people in my party want to, particularly those who rarely go to Disneyland. It's something that everyone new or rare to the park wants to experience, a recognizable icon in its own right. Aside from that, I've never been a fan. However, the attraction is a masterpiece in design and detail. It will always be the original Disney mountain and will always remain to be yet another legacy born of Mr. Disney himself. It's always been a bumpy and uncomfortable attraction to me, but that's just my account. Every time I ride it I usually exit with a headache from all the jerking and tumbling. Oh, well. Maybe I'll ride the new bobsleds on my next visit to check it out.
    Theatrical Roles: Various Roles (The Laramie Project), Fred (Oklahoma!), Oberon (Shakespeare in Hollywood), Hero (A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum), Valere (The Miser), Moonface Martin (Anything Goes), Thenardier/Laborer/Army Officer/Ensemble (Les Miserables), Franz (The Sound of Music), Tobias Ragg (Sweeney Todd), Tinman (The Wiz), Elles Dad/Winthrop/Ensemble (Legally Blonde), William Barfee/Leaf's Dad/Jesus Christ (25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee), Fiddler on the Roof (Rabbi), The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (Muff Potter/Ensemble), Shrek the Musical (Lord Farquaad)

• Foolish Mortal

As a long time park goer I will admit I was disappointed with the new sleds. First if all, someone else mentioned the awkward handle placements, I do agree that they seem very awkward. They are almost behind you as you sit down in the sled. This pretty much forces you to now hold on to the padded bar that is mounted on top of the seat in front of you, this kind of obstructs a bit of my view.

Secondly the ride appears to be more harsh than I remember it being in the past. It has always been bumpy but the new sleds seem to somehow enhance the bumps, making the ride noticeably more uncomfortable for myself and my friends whom frequent the park with me.

Im very curious to see if the overall turnstile count is down compared to what is normally should be. Personally I've only been on it twice since they reopened it and have no desire to go on it again unless something is done to help reduce the excessive jarring that has been created with the new sleds. It still amazes me that someone signed off and approved these new sleds.

• Sugar & Spice

Blog Entries

So sorry that the ride is "ruined" for you OP!

I'm on the opposite side of the fence, I love the Matterhorn now as much as I did when I first rode it when I was 7. It's bumpy and rough and crazy and lots of fun. The ride was never "comfortable" for me so the addition or subtraction of padding hasn't really made that much of a difference. Besides, when is a bobsled ride ever smooth and comfy?

Hopefully you'll be able to ride it again one day. Until then, BTMMR is always a good time! And Space too.
    <3 There are a million cupcakes in the world but only one is Cupcake Terror. <3

I AM THE REBEL SPY.

•   
    • Banned User

I thought some people here with being a bit over-reactionary until I rode it on Saturday. Yep, I'm now in their camp. It's ruined. I'm not riding it until they change those cars. I don't care if they did just make those, they stink.

I'm 5'4" and had my knees up in my chest the whole time. I get why they did it and understand all the defending that others have done here but now that I've been there, yeah, that was a horrible ride on a tough plastic seat and not even enough leg room for a guy my height. I don't mean it was "uncomfortable" I mean it caused pain. Big difference. Also, my cellphone seems to have survived every Disney ride up until now. The way I was cramped into the bobsled and tossed back and forth broke my phone. On the one hand I can't really hold Disneyland accountable for that, and yet, I think of all the other times I've been on this ride and countless others and my phone has never suffered any damage.

This was the most uncomfortable, outright painful, hard plastic, tailbone rattling ride I've ever been on, and I've been to plenty of theme parks that were terribly maintained with far worse ride cars than this. I'm staying off of it until Disney changes it to something else.

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    I agree completely. While the ride may be a bit bumpier than before, saying it is completely ruined seems like an over exaggeration.
    Tell that to the person who is 6'4"

at 5 feet 4 inches how can your knees be to your chest. im 5 10 and it was nothing like that for me.

• Sshhh, being very quiet

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Vault View Post
    at 5 feet 4 inches how can your knees be to your chest. im 5 10 and it was nothing like that for me.
    I would have the same question as Disney Vault. I am also 5ft 4 and my knees were no where near my chest. To give benefit of the doubt...maybe the seats are different if you are in the front or the back? I was in the back of a car.

But I will vouch for it being SUPER bumpy, however, I always remember it being real jarring to my body so no big difference for me.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast