Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Sad Matterhorn has been ruined

The Matterhorn used to be one of my favourite rides at Disneyland. Every since they did the refurb, they seemed to have taken out all of the padding in the chairs and it is now so uncomfortable to ride that I don't even enjoy it anymore. I also noticed that big thunder has a great amount of padding on it's seats. Why doesn't Disney give the matterhorn the kind of padding that big thunder has? While I love the addition of the single rider queue, I find that it is so bumpy and painful to ride without the padding that I really don't like it anymore and it makes me sad. A simple addition of padding to the chairs would make it enjoyable again. Your thoughts?

• Disney/Anime/Furry Fan

Re: Matterhorn has been ruined

Matterhorn looks spruced up and better than before. The tracks are still the same old, but polished. The bobsleds are the problem, since they lack adequate padding and leg room; they have less space and uncomfortable for taller people. It's way bumpier and rougher than it was and the movement is not smooth. The old bobsleds were better, but the only bad thing about it is the lap sitting. Though its good when you have a girlfriend or boyfriend and child. But now, no more lap sitting and you get thrashed around more compare to the old ones.

Yeah, I'm still not too keen on liking the new bobsleds.

• MaliBOOMer

It's not that the new sleds have smaller room or are "bumpier", what bothers me is they seem laughably slower!
    Favorite Ride: Tower of Terror

•   
    • Minion

The seats are horrible I don't go on it anymore and I used to love it so much really saddens me. The seats have no padding it hurts my tailbone every time I ride so now I avoid it :/

Put me in the minority of people that think that the Matterhorn is better than it was before! I feel like it is faster and less bumpy, and it does have that nice, polished up feel. It also feels like the line is much shorter now than it was before.

• formerly very helpful

While better or worse is really up to individual opinion, I'd say that describing it as "ruined" seems to be more than a little bit of hyperbole.

• Nic

I don't feel any pain when I ride, so for me, it's not ruined.
    Fear of the unknown.

They are afraid of new ideas.

They are loaded with prejudices, not based upon any reality, but based onÖ if something is new, I reject it immediately because itís frightening to me. What they do instead is just stay with the familiar.
    You know, to me, the most beautiful things in all the universe, are the most mysterious.

• a damsel not in distress

i agree that it's the bobsleds that are horrible, not the ride itself. i'm a pretty tall individual but have narrow hips, so the new seats have me pinned into a circle shape and i thrash from side to side in the compartment; it's much like experiencing the life of a pin-ball for the duration of the ride. i also find without any traction on the seats, i also slide down, making the circle shape of my body even more condensed.

it's bad enough to the point where i was offered the chance to be my nephew's companion rider with a swap-pass, meaning i could essentially skip the line, and i declined.

it's unfortunate, because i used to really love the matterhorn.

"oh, i just love happy endings!"

• With The Brain Of A Bird

I'm 6'1" and have only ridden once since the change. I sat behind another family member in the back sled and had no problem with leg space. While my knees did stick up out of the top of the sled I didn't mind. My problem came with the placement of the hand rails on the vehicle. The old sleds had rails along the inner sides of the sleds. I could hold onto them and press my legs against my arms. Now the only handrail is in front of the rider and I had to reach between my knees. This caused my legs to bang back and forth against the hard edge of the sled opening. I would ask that they add, not only padding, but handrails to the inner sides of the vehicles again.
    "Anything's possible at Disneyland." - Walt Disney, 1965

• Bring back the Keelboats!

I rode a couple of times since the changes. I am only 5' 2 1/2" and my knees stuck up! I can't imagine what it would be like for a tall person. I also miss the handholds inside the sled. I found out about the single-rider line the hard way - I waited in regular line and was directed to single-rider when I reached the front. That is a nice addition. Padding would help.

Hidden Mickey - Historical fiction about Walt that mixes action and mystery with time travel and fantasy! Tweens to adults will enjoy these novels. And now, three gamebooks to play in Disneyland, DCA and WDW Magic Kingdom!

Check out my six action/adventure novels about Walt's lost diary and his epic quest. Visit my blog page!

Sometimes Dead Men DO Tell Tales!

• The doctor is in

The ride itself is essentially the same. It's the new bobsleds that suck. I won't ride it until they are replaced with something else or until they add padding to the seats.
    I wish Frozen would have never been made.

• -

Quote Originally Posted by sbk1234 View Post
    I'd say that describing it as "ruined" seems to be more than a little bit of hyperbole.
    I agree completely. While the ride may be a bit bumpier than before, saying it is completely ruined seems like an over exaggeration.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

It's extremely uncomfortable for me in the front. Plus it seems slower. It may not be completely ruined for me, but it does feel different and not as fun as it used to.

• Mischievous Mouse

I think the new matterhorn looks fabulous, and it still rides ok, I don't mind the new seats, it used to be most people going 2 per car, no the queue moves faster than ever.

"We believed in our idea - a family park where parents and children could have fun- together."

-Walt Disney

• Coronus, The Terminator

Quote Originally Posted by Seahorse View Post
    I'm 6'1" and have only ridden once since the change. I sat behind another family member in the back sled and had no problem with leg space. While my knees did stick up out of the top of the sled I didn't mind. My problem came with the placement of the hand rails on the vehicle. The old sleds had rails along the inner sides of the sleds. I could hold onto them and press my legs against my arms. Now the only handrail is in front of the rider and I had to reach between my knees. This caused my legs to bang back and forth against the hard edge of the sled opening. I would ask that they add, not only padding, but handrails to the inner sides of the vehicles again.
    Also 6'1" here and I didn't find any discomfort in the new trains. Personally, the only real downside to the new trains is a lower ride capacity. The ride still felt the same for me.
    California Screamin' Ride Count: 111

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast