Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: Rides you used to avoid, but now always like to do

Pirates of the Carribean, that first drop terrified me

Haunted Mansion... well for me, it was mostly cuz my first experience I had was when I was two or something.. and I have a photographic memory.. I always was terribly skiddish when i was a wee kid. So it was imprinted into my head that this ride wasn't cool... I don't think I ever got on it and enjoyed it till I was around 10 or so. Its become one of my all time favorites, honestly.

• ~

When I was really little, I avoided rides like Splash Mountain or Big Thunder Mountain Railroad. Space Mountain in particular comes to mind, since it was the last ride I was truly scared of riding in the park. When you're venturing into the unknown, those dimly lit hallways convey a really ominous and suspenseful air as you continue towards the coaster that's hidden in the darkness.

Then, growing older, I spent most of my time cramming as many E-attractions into the day as possible. Having conquered Space Mountain, that was always at the top of the list, along with Indiana Jones, Splash Mountain, Big Thunder Mountain, Matterhorn, Pirates of the Caribbean, and Haunted Mansion. All fantastic rides that I still love and adore, but as time has passed, I really like to stop to smell the roses and not focus solely on E-ticket attractions during my trips in the park.

Some of those attractions include the Main Street vehicles, Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln, the Mark Twain, the Sailing Ship Columbia, the Main Street Cinema, and Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes.

And each trip I find myself going onto an attraction without expecting much and then realizing how amazing said attraction truly is. This happened recently with "it's a small world". I never really appreciated the masterpiece that the attraction is until recently. The visuals of the ride, from the Mary Blaire stylization to the bright colors and zany designs, are simply a delight and the details of each room all come together beautifully to portray the art, the literature, the ideas, the history, the dress, and the customs of each culture. And how it celebrates the uniqueness of each country and the beauty of diversity while simultaneously emphasizing the fact that we are all fundamentally the same-- that we all experience the same fear and sadness and happiness and hope in this journey that we call "life"-- in such an innocent, upbeat, and accessible way? Wow. It's really a great attraction on several different levels.

When I was younger, my friends and I would never consider Enchanted Tiki Room or it's a small world. We considered them boring & long with "fake" looking animatronics and theme songs that would drive us out of our minds. Now, I can appreciate the artistry behind the design of each, the significant history of both to the park, Walt's looming presence in their backstory, and the catchy theme songs.

I also concur regarding the Mark Twain. Not a ride I avoided, but it was never a priority for a youngster. Now, it is a relaxing joy to be experienced on every visit. If you are in the park on a night when Fantasmic! is not presented, do not lament missing a terrific show, but instead take advantage of a late evening sail. If the park is winding down, the sound of the churning paddle wheel in the dark and relative quiet is mesmorizing.

• Sultan of Swing

In all honesty Jungle Cruise because my Grandma she liked the animals and scenery. I visited the park with her once when I was a kid and it was a special moment. I cherish it because I feel connected with her again even though she is not here or there. Truth be told that's how I was with the Resort in it's entirety. It was only when I became the Teen I am that I liked it because of her. It's where I remember her and where anyone can be free of worries and be happy. Anyways Off topic a little and I don't want to cry.
    Also Fantasmic! It was not my thing because my Fam Bam with only arrive when it already started and then leave to ride BTMRR,Mansion, Pirates, or Indy so I disliked it. Now I love it(Just wish it got updated).
    Also I considered Jungle Cruise and the Enchanted Tiki Room boring so I wanted avoid them. I still am not a fan of Enchanted Tiki Room.
    Always read the fine print.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123