Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• -

Re: A strange question about Splash Mountain...

I think the water contains the same stuff Jack Nicholson fell into in Batman.
    "Greetings, Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada."

•   
    • Minion

There's definitely a lot of chlorine there and I'm guessing they disinfect far more than the average pool does, but I've never had an experience where my hair/etc. felt any different than it does after going swimming in a pool.

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    i think the water contains the same stuff jack nicholson fell into in batman.
    lmao!!
    For the love of Disney....

• The doctor is in

Quote Originally Posted by Bongo View Post
    Don't ride Splash Mountain in front with your mouth open. You'll be spitting out pool water for hours afterwards.
    Oh yes. I have had this happen to me a couple times.

The worst part is if one of the water jets shoots water directly into your ears. I was trying to shake water out of my ear the rest of the day.
    Merrily on our way to nowhere at all.

I imagine it might have something to do with the alkali deposits when you mix metal and water over a period of time.
    I'm no scientist but I think the PH level may have something to do with this.
    With kind regards,
    The Tony

• Banned User

I'd have to disagree with the comments that "no one knows" what's in the water. There's a rather large pump station ( and presumably filtration station ) visible on Google Earth when you look at Splash Mountain. What's in that water should actually be pretty carefully metered and be a rather predictable mix. Any claims that hand lotion or spilled drinks are causing this seem infinitesimal in the grand percentage of water in there versus the effect of the filtration system.

Nonetheless, I have also gotten off Splash Mountain and other rides and noticed the water seemed odd. Almost waxy. I'm a dude, I don't use hairspray, gel or for that matter, even fabric softener. I should have absolutely no x factors involved except for the soap and shampoo in a daily shower, and yet I'd agree sometimes it feels a bit waxy. I've never smelled any excess in chlorine or other pool cleaning substances. ( At least not ones that my experience cleaning a pool has made me familiar with. )

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

If you had just bleached your hair the day before... it was probably a chemical reaction. When you bleach/dye your hair, you're normally not supposed to wash it/get it wet for 24-48 hours so the dye/bleach chemicals can settle better into the hair shaft. Bleaching your hair then going on a water ride that uses chlorine & other chemicals to treat the water the next day is a potential recipe for disaster. That's just my best guess.

I'm not a hair professional, but I've been coloring my own hair for 20 years, so I do know a few things.

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by fifthrider View Post
    noticed the water seemed odd. Almost waxy.

yet I'd agree sometimes it feels a bit waxy.
    Do you mean waxy as in slippery? Perhaps the water is slighly acidic, which make water slippery. I haven't noticed this myself but maybe it's possibly done to keep minerals from being deposited in the flume.

Quote Originally Posted by aimster View Post
    If you had just bleached your hair the day before... it was probably a chemical reaction. When you bleach/dye your hair, you're normally not supposed to wash it/get it wet for 24-48 hours so the dye/bleach chemicals can settle better into the hair shaft. Bleaching your hair then going on a water ride that uses chlorine & other chemicals to treat the water the next day is a potential recipe for disaster. That's just my best guess.

I'm not a hair professional, but I've been coloring my own hair for 20 years, so I do know a few things.
    The thing is that I only bleached my roots, yet when the rest of my hair got wet, even the parts that weren't bleached got plastic-y.
    And I'm not sure about the whole not washing your hair to let the bleach settle- you're not depositing any pigment, so it's not like the color can fade off. So I'm still not too sure what it was!

• Lurker

Is it possible they have to add large amounts of water softener? I imagine if the water was naturally hard, they'd have a huge problem with mineral buildup if they didn't soften it.

• DCP DLR Alumnus!

Quote Originally Posted by fifthrider View Post
    Nonetheless, I have also gotten off Splash Mountain and other rides and noticed the water seemed odd. Almost waxy.
    I've noticed this too. Two rides stand out in particular, and that's Gully Washer and Power Surge at Six Flags Fiesta Texas. The water on both of those rides seemed almost slimy. But then again, it was Six Flags...

As for Disney attractions though, I haven't ever really noticed anything all that weird with the water in terms of how it felt. On a sidenote, I do love the intoxicating smell of the chlorine on Pirates though!
    Please check out my E-Ticket attraction, The Time of My Life!
    http://tcox91.tumblr.com

• Sock Puppet

who knows about THAT water. but i never had it ruin my hair..i would not let it ruin your day

Quote Originally Posted by Poisonedapples View Post
    who knows about THAT water. but i never had it ruin my hair..i would not let it ruin your day
    Oh, I didn't let it ruin my day! My hair looked like absolute crap and I was scared- but it definitely didn't ruin my day; I actually went there to cheer myself up as it was the one year anniversary of my best friends death. Even through all of the plastic hair mishap, I still maintained a positive attitude.

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    I don't know what could be wrong but TWDC has very deep pockets. Time to call up a lawyer I'd say.

Disney is actually pretty well known for fighting every claim, even if the defense costs more than a settlement.

Find our trip report videos on Youtube at FreshBakedDisney. Find our blog at www.freshbakeddisney.com.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12