Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 8910111213 LastLast

• Banned User

Re: Does Disney's Monstrous Corprorate Greed destroy the magic of Christmas?

Quote Originally Posted by Malina View Post
    I don't like seeing employees treated badly anywhere, and I tend to throw my shopping/support behind companies with better track records there. It's not about finding something to get mad about; it's about realizing that the person who loads you into the ride is a human being with feelings, not a machine. Everyone who works at Disneyland is giving up their holiday to make yours magical...maybe they deserve a little bit of that magic too.

i haven't seen any employees being treated badly at any Disney Parks. It's speculation.

That depends where you work. My company throws two parties a year for staff, and does other things to let us know we're appreciated.

And why should anyone care that Disney isn't giving their employees a party? It doesn't affect you, right? Ah, but it does. Better working conditions and employee appreciation lead to retention and better on the job performance...which in this case leads to a more magical experience for you.

And why is it in this thread? Because if a company can't be in the holiday spirit with its own employees, yes, the monstrous corporate greed HAS gotten out of control.
    How big is the company you work for?

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by DJS View Post

i haven't seen any employees being treated badly at any Disney Parks. It's speculation.

Do a search here for the numerous threads started by cast members, and read about what it's like to work for the Mouse. Read the books that have been written on it. Watch the documentary "Mouse Trapped." It's not speculation at all, sadly. Far from it.

http://www.letstalkdisney.com/workin...ind-the-magic/

http://articles.nydailynews.com/2010...-union-suicide

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ghanistan.html

It's been mentioned in numerous threads that employment at Disney is a revolving door these days; whereas in the 1990s and early 00s you would often find CMs who had been there for decades.

How big is the company you work for?
    We're on three continents, so we're not small. I'd also be happy to share the names of other large corporations which routinely provide incentives, parties and other appreciation measures to their employees. They include In-N-Out, Hard Rock Cafe and numerous others.

The party at Disneyland was a tradition - it was like Grad Nite in that the parks were closed to the public, and it was really the only time the employees got to enjoy their workplace without the public. Disney chose not to give them the party this year at the same time they decided to start selling the Candlelight dinner packages, although that changed. Disney is billions of dollars in the black. There is nothing that can possibly convince me that they couldn't have found two nights to offer the party as they've done for the last decades.

...but to bring it back to this thread, as monstrous corporate greed ruined the holidays? Ask those workers who are going to be there on Christmas morning who basically got the kiss-off from their employer, who is publicly showing how much it has the "magic of Christmas" to its customers.
    Last edited by Malina; 11-29-2012 at 10:46 PM.

• At the bottom

I have never seen gravity. It's speculation.

• Banned User

Were we discussing gravity? (I don't think Gravity would be "seen" in the sense you're trying to relate, anyhow)

no, what was said was

"I don't like seeing employees being treated badly"
    and I replied, based upon the statement and my experience in the parks.

of course we can read all that's been published, but that was not the reply to the statement made.

Maybe if it were prefaced with, "according to what CM's have written..."

•   
    • Minion

Were we discussing gravity? (I don't think Gravity would be "seen" in the sense you're trying to relate, anyhow)

no, what was said was

"I don't like seeing employees being treated badly"
    and I replied, based upon the statement and my experience in the parks.

of course we can read all that's been published, but that was not the reply to the statement made.

Maybe if it were prefaced with, "according to what CM's have written..."
    That's a bit of semantics - and if you haven't noticed the lack of morale at the park among the employees...there's something you can see...perhaps you should take a closer look. Seeing that the party was canceled...again. Seeing the ridiculous email that was sent out to try to justify it, sent right before a long weekend so nobody could complain right away...again.

• Banned User

I've always found the CM's friendly, well behaved and engaging. Some of the best moments we have are when we talk to CM's.

which is always pretty amazing. Considering the turn around, wage caps in front and back of house. A friend of mine used to play Peter Pan in Fantasmic and he's always been pretty positive.
    another group of friends worked the mold and paint dept. refurbing rides, only thing they ever complain about is the wages.

•   
    • Minion

I usually don't have issues with CMs either, and I'm sure it's because I'm polite and don't hassle them at all. However, again, morale is way down. If your friends don't complain about the job to you, perhaps they're lucky enough to be in good departments or perhaps they're following the age-old strategy of not complaining about the inner workings of their jobs to outsiders.

Talent, maintenance and ops are three very different departments and may be protected by different unions, etc. An old friend of mine was in a show in Florida. He was fine. He was also protected by AEA so Disney couldn't jerk him around the way they did with those kids working in attractions.

A Christmas party is a fleeting concept. To many people find offense in holidays that do not align with their religious beliefs. Can't make everyone happy all the time.

Them not having a party is not my concern or problem. I cannot assume they cut it because they are being evil or greedy.

---------- Post added 11-29-2012 at 11:28 AM ----------

And, I need to ask, are employees getting holiday pay for working the holidays? If so, good for them. I'd be willing to bet there are dept holiday parties, like anywhere. The logistics of a company wide holiday party are huge. It's a frivolous and unnecessary expense.
    You sound like scrooge. I wouldn't want to live in a world where you ran the show. Just because someone doesn't have to do something doesn't mean they shouldn't. If I ran a company profits wouldn't be my only goal, that seems really shallow. I would actually care about my employees and do everything I could to take care of them and make them feel appreciated. Doing the bare minimum for others doesn't impress me. Sorry.

• Very Helpful Old Feller

Well, reckon my heart's in Texas but right now I live down N'Olins way...

Howdy Pards,

There is a lot more to life than the relentless pursuit of money.

At one time, not all that long ago, no company knew that better than Disney.

Adios for now. Talk to ya on down the trail.

Wild Ol' Dan
    "I can see the cattle grazin' o'er the hills at early morn…
    I can see the campfires smokin’ at the breaking of the dawn,
    I can hear the bronco's neighin', I can hear the cowboys sing,
    I'd like to be in Texas for the Round-up in the Spring."

Geeze, it's not the end of the world. Don't pay for it, don't go. That's how they figure out whether it's successful or not.

It's not like they're putting a gun to your head and telling you to go.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

Quote Originally Posted by Disneytwins View Post
    Geeze, it's not the end of the world. Don't pay for it, don't go. That's how they figure out whether it's successful or not.

It's not like they're putting a gun to your head and telling you to go.
    Howdy Pards,

Well now, according to this particular theory, only those willing or able to pay ridiculous prices should be permitted to be happy at Disney. All others must stay away...because they are not rich enough or not willing or able enough to pay ridiculous prices...

Their children should not be permitted within the earthen berms... In short this place... designed to be a source of joy and inspiration to ALL the world...has now become a place only for those willing to pay unreasonable prices for admission tickets, hotel rooms, and the rest...right down to the five dollar cost for a single, small, Mickey Mouse Christmas cookie...

As to the riff-raff...well...

"If they be inclined to die, they had better do so...and decrease the surplus population."

Greed is not an admirable marketing...or public relations strategy for the Walt Disney Company...just as it wasn't for the firm known as Scrooge and Marley back in 1843.

No...no one is putting a gun to the head of those families and telling them to go...so, if they can't afford it...they should quite simply stay away. Christmas at Disney, afterall, is only for those willing and able to pay without question...no matter how unreasonable the prices may get.

Thank Heavens Cinderella got in before the big change...

Wild Ol' Dan
    Last edited by Wild Ol' Dan; 11-30-2012 at 08:08 AM.

• I'm from Canada eh!

I don't like seeing employees treated badly anywhere, and I tend to throw my shopping/support behind companies with better track records there. It's not about finding something to get mad about; it's about realizing that the person who loads you into the ride is a human being with feelings, not a machine. Everyone who works at Disneyland is giving up their holiday to make yours magical...maybe they deserve a little bit of that magic too.

---------- Post added 11-29-2012 at 07:30 PM ----------
    Don't get me wrong, I don't want anyone to be treated badly, nor do I discount the feelings that a particular CM has while loading me on a ride. But I have to wonder, if CM's working on the Holidays is such a terrible injustice, why don't just not go on Christmas day?

Makes you wonder who the greedy ones really are?

• Sshhh, being very quiet

I've always found the CM's friendly, well behaved and engaging. Some of the best moments we have are when we talk to CM's.
    Same here...I've never run into a rude CM...ever.

Quote Originally Posted by JediPrincess View Post
    You sound like scrooge. I wouldn't want to live in a world where you ran the show. Just because someone doesn't have to do something doesn't mean they shouldn't. If I ran a company profits wouldn't be my only goal, that seems really shallow. I would actually care about my employees and do everything I could to take care of them and make them feel appreciated. Doing the bare minimum for others doesn't impress me. Sorry.
    But what he says is true. The office Christmas/Holiday party is becoming a thing of the past. Granted, of course, there are still companies that do christmas parties but I've been through a few companies since 2005 and each one eithe didn't have a party or there it out entirely. I know many companies, and the one I currently work for, who have let the holiday party go because of economics. They can be pretty expensive for companies. Its a sad thing really.

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Ol' Dan View Post
    Well now, according to this particular theory, only those willing or able to pay ridiculous prices should be permitted to be happy at Disney. All others must stay away...because they are not rich enough or not willing or able enough to pay ridiculous prices...

Wild Ol' Dan
    This notion that all of Disney is only for the super rich is getting really old.
    Yes, Disney is more pricey than other places and their merch can be more to. However, I work HARD....VERY HARD for my money and visit the park often with my son. I don't make 6 digits and sometimes, he gets treats or even a toy and sometimes he doesn't and I explain to him why. But the fact that you keep saying a $5 cookie is only for the super rich is ridiculous. It's called budgeting.

Like I said...I will buy you a Mickey Xmas cookie or cupcake or even a $10 candied apple since you so plainly say that is your Christmas wish.
    Last edited by clara; 11-30-2012 at 08:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by clara View Post
    Same here...I've never run into a rude CM...ever.

This notion that all of Disney is only for the super rich is getting really old.
    Yes, Disney is more pricey than other places and their merch can be more to. However, I work HARD....VERY HARD for my money and visit the park often with my son. I don't make 6 digits and sometimes, he gets treats or even a toy and sometimes he doesn't and I explain to him why. But the fact that you keep saying a $5 cookie is only for the super rich is ridiculous. It's called budgeting.

Like I said...I will buy you a Mickey Xmas cookie or cupcake or even a $10 candied apple since you so plainly say that is your Christmas wish.
    Howdy Clara,

Perhaps it would be a good idea for you to go back and read my post again. Read it closely...paying particular attention to the part that says "unable or unwilling to pay ridiculous prices."

And, uh, at no point have I ever said that a $5 Mickey Mouse cookie or cupcake or a $10 Candied Apple is my Christmas wish. This entire thread has nothing whatsoever to do with my Christmas list...it has to do with the magic of Christmas and whether Disney's Monstrous Corporate Greed impacts that magic...and I think we are finding that, for many, it does.

Wild Ol' Dan

• Sshhh, being very quiet

And, uh, at no point have I ever said that a $5 Mickey Mouse cookie or cupcake or a $10 Candied Apple is my Christmas wish. This entire thread has nothing whatsoever to do with my Christmas list...it has to do with the magic of Christmas and whether Disney's Monstrous Corporate Greed impacts that magic...and I think we are finding that, for many, it does.
    You wrote below a few posts back:

Count your blessings...and remember those of us who are not quite as blessed as it relates to a ten dollar apple.
    I take this statement as yourself...I apologize if I assumed incorrectly. But it made me inclined to feel sorry for you and want to give you a $10 candied apple...I mean that in the most respectful way.

Howdy Clara,

Perhaps it would be a good idea for you to go back and read my post again. Read it closely...paying particular attention to the part that says "unable or unwilling to pay ridiculous prices."
    "Unable and unwilling", yes, but isn't it interesting how you cut out this statement of yours which was right before "unable and unwilling":

All others must stay away...because they are not rich enough or not willing or able enough to pay ridiculous prices...
    And it is also interesting how in your very first post here you said just this about holiday treats being only for the rich:

So...is it right...for those of us who are no longer rich enough...to complain about a $5 cupcake, or a $10 candied apple?

Should the treats of the season only be for the very rich?
    So apparently...I can read just fine...

There are many times, I'm unable and unwilling to pay for a disney item. Do you know what I do? I dont pay for it and move on. But when I do pay for a Disney item...that doesn't put me in the category of the super rich.

It is obvious that there are many feelings about Disney pricing...however, I would not let it ruin Christmas because honestly as much as I love my Disney fixes...it is not the center of my world. SO when I see that a candied apple cost $10, I shrug and move on.

But why just talk about a candied apple. I just went to Carthay Circle a few weeks ago and spent $70 on a meal for just my son and I. Was that expensive? Of course, but you pay for the ambience and the environment and I KNEW and....wait for it...BUDGETED the price of that meal. That is something that I think you are missing. I'm sure if a parent doesn't buy their kid a $10 candied apple, they are in the next store buying them a Mickey plushie because that is what is in their budget and probably what the kid wants more.

Your persective is a bit askewed I think. All situations and walks of life are different.
    Last edited by clara; 11-30-2012 at 10:24 AM.

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 8910111213 LastLast