Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 183
  1. #46

    • Sorcerer Supreme Bean
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    3,123

    Re: Does Disney's Monstrous Corprorate Greed destroy the magic of Christmas?

    If you let the 'corporate greed' ruin it for you, thats a personal choice

    Disney is still the highlight of the holiday season, overpriced candy canes wont ever ruin that
    There is no right or wrong in this debate. It is simply a matter of perspective.
    -Dr. Strange

  2. #47

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,497

    Re: Does Disney's Monstrous Corprorate Greed destroy the magic of Christmas?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wild Ol' Dan View Post
    Howdy Pards,

    So...does Disney's obvious monstrous corporate greed destroy the magic of Christmas?

    But, there appears to be something darker at work here...something that gets back to Alfred's concerns about commercialism I suppose. I wonder what Walt Disney would have thought about charging $10 for a candied apple? Or $5 for one, small Mickey Mouse Christmas Cookie or cupcake?

    Why would Disney charge these prices for Holiday treats? There can be only one answer...corporate greed. Some rich folks are buyin' at these prices...so Disney feels no need to keep the prices low. The idea isn't celebrating some holiday afterall...the idea is to make a buck. Lots of bucks in fact. Christmas Spirit has absolutely nothing to do with it...
    If you're complaining about a $10 candied apple and a $5 cookie or cupcake as your best example of corporate greed, there are a few rebuttals.

    Christmas is not defined by candied applies and cookies. You can buy them any time of the year. It just seems like Christmas is most appropriate to enjoy high sugar desserts. Well, maybe that $5 or $10 is best spent on things that do not contribute to weight gain or diabetes.

    It is a mistake to "outsource" your Christmas to retailers. Is that what "Miracle on 34th Street" told you? I thought you already reposted that "worst is commercialism".

    You haven't learned the lesson that you're trying to get others to think.

    Should the treats of the season only be for the very rich?
    First, $10 is not that expensive.

    Second, you should not buy what you regard as expensive.

    Third, Christmas is not about commercialism.

    Fourth, eat healthy.

    Five, money is not Christmas.

    Sixth, Disney isn't Mr. Christmas.

    Seven, Corporate greed is the least of your concern. Look in the mirror.

  3. #48

    • Sshhh, being very quiet
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    S. California
    Posts
    16,597

    Re: Does Disney's Monstrous Corprorate Greed destroy the magic of Christmas?

    Quote Originally Posted by StevenW View Post
    If you're complaining about a $10 candied apple and a $5 cookie or cupcake as your best example of corporate greed, there are a few rebuttals.

    Christmas is not defined by candied applies and cookies. You can buy them any time of the year. It just seems like Christmas is most appropriate to enjoy high sugar desserts. Well, maybe that $5 or $10 is best spent on things that do not contribute to weight gain or diabetes.

    It is a mistake to "outsource" your Christmas to retailers. Is that what "Miracle on 34th Street" told you? I thought you already reposted that "worst is commercialism".

    You haven't learned the lesson that you're trying to get others to think.

    First, $10 is not that expensive.

    Second, you should not buy what you regard as expensive.

    Third, Christmas is not about commercialism.

    Fourth, eat healthy.

    Five, money is not Christmas.

    Sixth, Disney isn't Mr. Christmas.

    Seven, Corporate greed is the least of your concern. Look in the mirror.
    Thank you so much for typing out exactly what I was thinking but knew that I couldn't get across in type.

    Thank you so much.

  4. #49

    • Sock Puppet
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    orange county,ca
    Posts
    6,499

    Re: Does Disney's Monstrous Corprorate Greed destroy the magic of Christmas?

    Quote Originally Posted by StevenW View Post
    If you're complaining about a $10 candied apple and a $5 cookie or cupcake as your best example of corporate greed, there are a few rebuttals.

    Christmas is not defined by candied applies and cookies. You can buy them any time of the year. It just seems like Christmas is most appropriate to enjoy high sugar desserts. Well, maybe that $5 or $10 is best spent on things that do not contribute to weight gain or diabetes.

    It is a mistake to "outsource" your Christmas to retailers. Is that what "Miracle on 34th Street" told you? I thought you already reposted that "worst is commercialism".

    You haven't learned the lesson that you're trying to get others to think.

    First, $10 is not that expensive.

    Second, you should not buy what you regard as expensive.

    Third, Christmas is not about commercialism.

    Fourth, eat healthy.

    Five, money is not Christmas.

    Sixth, Disney isn't Mr. Christmas.

    Seven, Corporate greed is the least of your concern. Look in the mirror.
    ! I don't understand why people associate christmas with commercialism, could be the media that is putting it into their heads. either way, to the op's questions heck no i do not think it's ruining my christmas!

  5. #50

    • Sshhh, being very quiet
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    S. California
    Posts
    16,597

    Re: Does Disney's Monstrous Corprorate Greed destroy the magic of Christmas?

    Quote Originally Posted by Poisonedapples View Post
    I don't understand why people associate christmas with commercialism, could be the media that is putting it into their heads.
    Yes, and also because people have lost the real "reason for the season". But I do love this time of year just for the way it feels. I like cold and snow and I love when it starts to get chilly and that is what I associate with xmas time. Not a $10 candied apple.

  6. #51

    • Sock Puppet
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    orange county,ca
    Posts
    6,499

    Re: Does Disney's Monstrous Corprorate Greed destroy the magic of Christmas?

    $10 OR $5, i will still buy it .. specially if it's christmas themed cookie. why? cause i love sweets! and although i am not rich, i will buy it because it makes me feel good about christmas and it's something special i am doing for myself! i really enjoyed looking at all the really expensive stuff at Disneyland for christmas, i won't buy it cause most of it i don't have a need for, but it was just fun to see it and just being at Disneyland with all the lights really made me feel like it's christmas this year,.

  7. #52

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    107

    Re: Does Disney's Monstrous Corprorate Greed destroy the magic of Christmas?

    Quote Originally Posted by clara View Post
    Yes, and also because people have lost the real "reason for the season". But I do love this time of year just for the way it feels. I like cold and snow and I love when it starts to get chilly and that is what I associate with xmas time. Not a $10 candied apple.
    You get to start wearing warmer "cuddly" clothing! People usually walk a little closer together with their arms around each for warmth! And fires and the smell of pines and cinnamon!! I could go on and on.... I love this time of year!!!

  8. #53

    • I'm from Canada eh!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    1,091

    Re: Does Disney's Monstrous Corprorate Greed destroy the magic of Christmas?

    I think it is worth looking at food prices at other theme parks and attractions. I know that the prices at my local zoo are higher than at Disneyland.

  9. #54

    • New Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    154

    Re: Does Disney's Monstrous Corprorate Greed destroy the magic of Christmas?

    Good subject Dan.
    As we all know the corporate greed shown each year isnt limited to just Disney. Its everywhere and personally it amuses me that a yearly event based off of the birth of Christ has turned into such a huge money grab across the board. The 40 days proceeding the holiday actually turns me off of of Christmas until Xmas eve when I'm at mass and the true spirit of the holiday falls upon me.

    Maybe I'm wrong but I dont think you can even find a reference to the word Jesus inside the parks. That would be politically incorrect and god forbid Disney offends someone during the holidays. That might affect the bottom line.

    Disney puts up great decorations and dresses the Christmas part in spectacular fashion each year and I think thats fine. Choose to participate and enjoy the spectacle or dont. Thats up to each of us and our own pocket book. I've done the Disney Christmas pilgrimage with my daughter many times but haven't for several years now. The main reason is that I refuse to pay the ridiculously inflated prices at the park now charges. Ten dollar candy apples is a great example.

    Just my two cents and I leave you with this.
    Last edited by penguinsoda; 11-26-2012 at 05:48 PM. Reason: Video removed due to site language violation

  10. #55

    • Angel Fan MC Man
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Beautiful Oxnard, CA
    Posts
    24,291
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Does Disney's Monstrous Corprorate Greed destroy the magic of Christmas?

    Quote Originally Posted by Poisonedapples View Post
    $10 OR $5, i will still buy it .. specially if it's christmas themed cookie. why? cause i love sweets! and although i am not rich, i will buy it because it makes me feel good about christmas and it's something special i am doing for myself!
    And that's why they can charge ten dollars for the apple, or five for the cookie. Supply and demand. Econ 101.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

  11. #56

    • Sock Puppet
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    orange county,ca
    Posts
    6,499

    Re: Does Disney's Monstrous Corprorate Greed destroy the magic of Christmas?

    Quote Originally Posted by Radiobarry View Post
    And that's why they can charge ten dollars for the apple, or five for the cookie. Supply and demand. Econ 101.
    BUt just cause I buy something that is $5 for a cookie doesn't mean i am wealthy or rich. it just means i like to splurge and by a cookie every now and
    then

  12. #57

    • Selfie Expert
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Gilbert, AZ
    Posts
    6,596

    Re: Does Disney's Monstrous Corprorate Greed destroy the magic of Christmas?

    Quote Originally Posted by Radiobarry View Post
    And that's why they can charge ten dollars for the apple, or five for the cookie. Supply and demand. Econ 101.
    Exactly - it is supply and demand. I'm with poisonedapples in that I'm willing to pay it at it's current price... Obviously if you break down the ingredients, their market value won't be $10. It's all based on what the customer is willing to pay. Everyone has their limit, and unfortunately economics is based on retailers finding that limit and maximizing on it. That's the way it is, and it's the way (successful) business works.

    Quote Originally Posted by Poisonedapples View Post
    BUt just cause I buy something that is $5 for a cookie doesn't mean i am wealthy or rich. it just means i like to splurge and by a cookie every now and
    then
    THIS. I am not wealthy or rich, I just choose to spend my $10 on an apple or $5 on a cookie instead of on makeup or cowboy boots or whatever anyone's vice may be.

    You don't need cookies or apples to survive, they are a splurge. It's a matter of whether you feel it's worth the "experience"... No different than purchasing the ticket to walk through the gates of Disneyland in the first place, or even paying for internet to post on these forums. These are not basic needs of survival, they are luxuries.

    People choose to spend their money differently. It's kind of annoying to be "accused" of being rich because of the fact that I may purchase a $5 cookie. I know that I have driven by government-funded/low-income housing with very expensive cars in the parking lot. I would venture to guess these people are not "rich", they just chose to spend their money differently. No one should judge a person's financial situation based on a single transaction, especially a $5-$10 one.

    Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

  13. #58

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,497

    Re: Does Disney's Monstrous Corprorate Greed destroy the magic of Christmas?

    Quote Originally Posted by cromag View Post
    As we all know the corporate greed shown each year isnt limited to just Disney. Its everywhere and personally it amuses me that a yearly event based off of the birth of Christ has turned into such a huge money grab across the board. The 40 days proceeding the holiday actually turns me off of of Christmas until Xmas eve when I'm at mass and the true spirit of the holiday falls upon me.
    Sometimes, when things are just awful, you have use it to your advantage. When you look at the deals for electronics, you can save a ton of money on cameras, computer, and televisions. You can save hundreds of dollars. It is quite a different thing to go traveling where they are price gouging. That's why its better to stay home during the holidays.

  14. #59

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    231

    Re: Does Disney's Monstrous Corprorate Greed destroy the magic of Christmas?

    Q: Does Disney's Monstrous Corprorate Greed destroy the magic of Christmas?

    A: Only if you let it.

  15. #60

    • Senior Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Splash Mountain
    Posts
    7,953
    Blog Entries
    5

    Re: Does Disney's Monstrous Corprorate Greed destroy the magic of Christmas?

    Quote Originally Posted by KellyMcG86 View Post
    Exactly - it is supply and demand. I'm with poisonedapples in that I'm willing to pay it at it's current price... Obviously if you break down the ingredients, their market value won't be $10. It's all based on what the customer is willing to pay. Everyone has their limit, and unfortunately economics is based on retailers finding that limit and maximizing on it. That's the way it is, and it's the way (successful) business works.



    THIS. I am not wealthy or rich, I just choose to spend my $10 on an apple or $5 on a cookie instead of on makeup or cowboy boots or whatever anyone's vice may be.

    You don't need cookies or apples to survive, they are a splurge. It's a matter of whether you feel it's worth the "experience"... No different than purchasing the ticket to walk through the gates of Disneyland in the first place, or even paying for internet to post on these forums. These are not basic needs of survival, they are luxuries.

    People choose to spend their money differently. It's kind of annoying to be "accused" of being rich because of the fact that I may purchase a $5 cookie. I know that I have driven by government-funded/low-income housing with very expensive cars in the parking lot. I would venture to guess these people are not "rich", they just chose to spend their money differently. No one should judge a person's financial situation based on a single transaction, especially a $5-$10 one.
    Yeah but Cookies are 5 bucks for a dozen at Sub way....and I don't pay to get in that restaurant....so to me it seems crazy how much snacks, soda and other things cost in the park...when i already paid to get in.....

    I'm fine with paying fair prices but sometimes Disney just costs too much...and if it was a little less I know my days there could feel more enjoyable on my normal income

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. [Question] What does Disney use for fake Dust in the Haunted Mansion
    By Seawolf in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 08-15-2010, 09:10 PM
  2. [Question] does having an AP take away from the magic of disneyland?
    By fantasnick in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 65
    Last Post: 04-18-2010, 02:19 AM
  3. Does living in or near Orlando dull the magic of WDW?
    By kcnole in forum Walt Disney World Resort
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 10-12-2006, 12:08 PM
  4. New Disney on Ice show to feature the Magic Kingdom
    By Crazy Legs in forum Walt Disney World Resort
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 08-27-2005, 10:19 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •