Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Pacific Wharf Needs Sea Life

Quote Originally Posted by explodingboy View Post
    AA's would be a better alternative to live animals. Again though, the maintenance needed on several AA's that are outside exposed to the elements 24/7 and sitting in that water constantly wouldn't be very cost effective either, I don't think.
    They've done ok over at Jungle Cruise.

I think a couple of noisy sea lions sitting on rocks would be effective. At the very least, they could pipe in sea lion calls several times an hour.

I agree with adding audio-animatronic sea lions to the area. I lived in Monterey for a year and there were always seals hanging out and barking on the wharf.

real animals would be cool but you would need a zoo license.

animatronics would be cool, but they would require a huge amount of maintenance all the time. im all for sea otters and sea lions though!

• Insomniac

Quote Originally Posted by mratigan View Post
    Add a compact ride version of the seas at epcot with an omnimover
    Better yet add a compact version of Maelstrom themed to California fishermen of the 1890's.
    Check out my Disney inspired creations.

https://picasaweb.google.com/110319393135337100862

The wharf was originally supposed to be a semi educational area where people could see how their favorite foods were made. The sourdough bread bakery and chocolate shop still serve that purpose to an extent. I don't think it'd be that difficult to bring back a fortune cookie machine for the Asian place. The Mexican place no longer has its tortilla factory counterpart. Maybe they could relocate the Mexican restaurant to Hollywoodland in the next expansion (the only counter service location Hollywoodland has right now is Award Weiners) and a seafood place could replace it in Pacific Wharf. It does seem weird that the area themed to a fisherman's wharf has no seafood restaurant. I think a fish and chips place would be popular.

• Parking Lot > DCA

Quote Originally Posted by Mojave View Post
    They've done ok over at Jungle Cruise.

I think a couple of noisy sea lions sitting on rocks would be effective. At the very least, they could pipe in sea lion calls several times an hour.
    True, I just don't think that the small area where these AA's would be placed is worth it. A whole attraction, however, is different.

Quote Originally Posted by BlAcKoUt510 View Post
    One huge reason why real animals cannot ever happen is because the water used in the warf is the same water used for Grizzly River Run.
    Not to mention the water levels change frequently if the GRR goes down. The ride can be drained within a few hours and re-supplied with the same water within a similar time frame. There's no way live animals would be able to live in a chlorinated, three hour tidal environment.

But AA's would be a wonderful thematic addition. And AA's don't poop or eat food thrown at them
    Last edited by ewokrights; 11-21-2012 at 08:31 AM. Reason: Messed up quote HTML

• Banned User

I could think of more than a few ways to pull off a mix of live and animatronic.

The most likely would be to create a stairway down to a lower level under the docks, maybe even a room slightly submerged under the water. ( Anyone remember the Disneyland Hotel underwater arcade in the 80's? ) This would be an underwater viewing area and the "windows" of the room would actually be aquariums with separate water, filtration, etc. Since there's glass on both sides, it would look like you're seeing beyond the school of fish and off into the distance through the rest of the "pacific ocean." You're seeing fish up close in their tanks but also seeing beyond their tanks and out into the rest of the pool.

Meanwhile out in the rest of the water you've got the rigging for the show at night which could be obscured with some animatronic animal or two. The two bodies of water would never mix and at most would just need to have their temperatures regulated or separated by another gas-charged pane of glass between them.

At any rate, yeah, I'd agree the wharf always seemed kind of dead and lifeless without some form of sea animal life.

I'd vote for animatronics despite the cost. Live animals create "smells"...... have you ever visited the "Children's Pool" in La Jolla Cove that sea lians have taken over? The smell is "distinctive" and is causing lots of problems for local merchants.

Not quite the "smell" one wants to associate with Disney - but I'll mention it over dinner tomorrow to my cousin who works for the "Mouse".......

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12