Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• My Children's Father

Pacific Wharf Needs Sea Life

One of the things that Monterey, Ca. is known for is the biological diversity in Monterey Bay. I have always thought that the "pools " along the parade route by the Pacific Wharf (themed to Monterey's Cannery Row) has needed some animal life (besides ducks and seagulls). Ideally, you could have real sea otters, seals, sea lions, porpoises, and all sorts of fish in those pools. Access to "below ground-level" to provide aquarium-like viewing (Monterey Bay Aquarium-like).

I realize that real animals might be unduly stressed by the noise and lights of WOC and parades, so maybe some realistic animatronic sea life would suffice. Just nothing from "The Little Mermaid", she already has plenty of representation in the park.
    You could have a shark like USH (periodically jumping up to gnash at the fishnet hanging over the water), or some playful otters swimming around, or floating on their backs cracking open a mollusk.

I blame Paul Pressler for these things not getting built when they first tore up the old parking lot.
    "She's taking everything. She's taking the house, she's taking the kid, she's taking the dog. IT'S NOT EVEN HER DOG. IT'S MY DOG! SHE'S TAKING . . . MY DOG!"
    - Ron Livingston, "Band of Brothers"

• Parking Lot > DCA

Re: Pacific Wharf Needs Sea Life

Quote Originally Posted by Giant Panda View Post
    I realize that real animals might be unduly stressed by the noise and lights of WOC and parades, so maybe some realistic animatronic sea life would suffice.
    I just don't think it's super practical to have real animals given that they would need people to tend for them all the time, not to mention having to watch for people tossing food, trash, etc. I don't think it would be worth the time and effort, just to add something that ultimately doesn't really have that big of an impact on the surrounding area.

AA's would be a better alternative to live animals. Again though, the maintenance needed on several AA's that are outside exposed to the elements 24/7 and sitting in that water constantly wouldn't be very cost effective either, I don't think. You could have static animals, but I am sure people would start to wonder why the otter on his back hasn't moved in 45 minutes..

I blame Paul Pressler for these things not getting built when they first tore up the old parking lot.
    RIP Parking Lot.

• Sugar & Spice

Blog Entries

While I think AA's would add a certain element to the area, I don't feel the investment of time and money would be worth it. To me, it would be like the Seagulls at Nemo, interesting for about 2 minutes and then just part of the scenery for the next.

Most certainly a no on real animals. So much going on to stress them out, not to mention the permits/costs/upkeep that would likely come along with having live animals.

I like the Pacific Warf as it is, especially when it's slow and quiet at night.
    <3 There are a million cupcakes in the world but only one is Cupcake Terror. <3

I AM THE REBEL SPY.

• Minion

Definantly no on the real animals, but animatronics would be interesting. I small little show using the technology used for lucky the dinosaur, but a seal instead would be pretty cool too.

• HYDRA

Add a compact ride version of the seas at epcot with an omnimover
    Take a look at the theme park models I make at kolbykonnection.com

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

You don't really need to think of the Monterey Bay when getting inspiration for the Pacific Wharf area. Disneyland itself is only about 15 miles from the ocean. Instead of those 3+ day park hoppers maybe some guests should take some time and venture outside of "the box". I think some people would be amazed at how close the actual ocean really is to the place.

• The doctor is in

How about some anamatronic, fat sea lions lounging around the pier? Just like the ones I've seen in San Francisco and Monterey.
    I wish Frozen would have never been made.

• Nic

Maybe a little seal animatronic show based off of "Mickey and the Seal"? It'd tie in nicely with the vintage Mickey theme of the pier.
    Fear of the unknown.

They are afraid of new ideas.

They are loaded with prejudices, not based upon any reality, but based onÖ if something is new, I reject it immediately because itís frightening to me. What they do instead is just stay with the familiar.
    You know, to me, the most beautiful things in all the universe, are the most mysterious.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Chesire View Post
    Maybe a little seal animatronic show based off of "Mickey and the Seal"? It'd tie in nicely with the vintage Mickey theme of the pier.
    Meh, that would be nice, but it's not really needed. Plain ol animals would be sufice. There's pretty much zero cartoons in Pacific Wharf...i think it would be best kept that way.

• Hello Dolly.

One huge reason why real animals cannot ever happen is because the water used in the warf is the same water used for Grizzly River Run.

& that would definitely make me never want to ride again. lol

But I agree with those thinking of adding animatronic into the same area. It would make the area look a lot of better just by adding a seal or two. But we could say the same for GRR too.

• -

If they want it to be like Monterey, they can add two humpbacked whales and name them George and Gracie.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Minion

I would like to see a group of AA seals maybe.

• The doctor is in

It already has a decent group of ducks and other birds that hang around. I saw a group of 5-6 ducks swimming around the wharf last month.
    I wish Frozen would have never been made.

That land needs more everything. A dark ride, better food, and the animatronic animals would be perfect.
    In the quest for quality, I have no problem with the characters footing the bill.

• Selfie Expert

I've always wished there were fish in the water.

I don't think live dolphins, etc would be a good idea, but I wouldn't mind some animatronics or even static animals (sealions sleeping on a floating dock, etc).

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast