Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 ... LastLast

• Parking Lot > DCA

Re: Say bye-bye to a 11-12 year Annual Passholder...

Quote Originally Posted by StevenW
    Where's the dark ride that they desperately need?
    It's sitting vacant above the arcade, next to the Johnny Rockets.

• Functional & Decorative

Quote Originally Posted by clara View Post
    I have a friend who works there and has told me the park is dead as dead can be on a daily basis, no matter what day.
    So this pic, taken recently, is considered dead?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by JesterMn; 11-27-2012 at 12:24 PM.
    Does anyone even bother with signatures anymore?

• Sshhh, being very quiet

Quote Originally Posted by JesterMn View Post
    So this pic, taken recently, is considered dead?
    Hey, I just said I have a friend who works there and relayed this message to me..I no where implied I believe the place to be dead. I actually haven't been to Knotts in about 5 years.

And no I wouldn't consider that dead. So you win...congrats.

We've been AP's for around 12 years and while we love going to the parks, we just can't do it as frequently as before. Our girls are getting older, playing soccer every weekend and we just don't have the time to even go one weekend a month anymore. Consequently, the value per trip went down significantly and while we could afford it, we felt it was time to take a Disney break for a couple of years and put the money to other uses. Now if the prices continue to climb, it's very likely that we wouldn't ever get passes again and would instead make 1 or 2 trips a year to get our Disney fix (if we are even interested anymore).

---------- Post added 11-27-2012 at 01:26 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by clara View Post
    Hey, I just said I have a friend who works there and relayed this message to me..I no where implied I believe the place to be dead. I actually haven't been to Knotts in about 5 years.

And no I wouldn't consider that dead. So you win...congrats.
    It's by no means dead but like any park, has it's busy times and dead times. We just got passes so we'll see how it is whenever we get a chance to go.

---------- Post added 11-27-2012 at 01:29 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by DJS View Post
    They are not immersive to the extent DLR and DCA are. They are thrill rides inside a fence, basically
    While I'm not a fan of the metal monsters at Knott's, this is a (albiet your opinion) a fairly inaccurate statement. The Log Ride, Calico Mine Ride, Ghost Town...hardly unthemed thrill rides/areas.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by stevek View Post
    We've been AP's for around 12 years and while we love going to the parks, we just can't do it as frequently as before. Our girls are getting older, playing soccer every weekend and we just don't have the time to even go one weekend a month anymore. Consequently, the value per trip went down significantly and while we could afford it, we felt it was time to take a Disney break for a couple of years and put the money to other uses. Now if the prices continue to climb, it's very likely that we wouldn't ever get passes again and would instead make 1 or 2 trips a year to get our Disney fix (if we are even interested anymore).

---------- Post added 11-27-2012 at 01:26 PM ----------

It's by no means dead but like any park, has it's busy times and dead times. We just got passes so we'll see how it is whenever we get a chance to go.

---------- Post added 11-27-2012 at 01:29 PM ----------

While I'm not a fan of the metal monsters at Knott's, this is a (albiet your opinion) a fairly inaccurate statement. The Log Ride, Calico Mine Ride, Ghost Town...hardly unthemed thrill rides/areas.
    Understood, but the entirety of the park is not immersive. A few rides are no comparison, honestly. Side by side next to, say, BTMRR, agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by explodingboy View Post
    It's sitting vacant above the arcade, next to the Johnny Rockets.
    I have no idea why they closed that ride down. It was one of my favorites. It needed a facelift in recent years, though.

So they closed it down and now it's sitting there, empty? So stupid...

• Functional & Decorative

^As I understand it, security. People were staring to exit the ride and roam around, as well as engage in fully carnal behavior.

To help counteract that, they linked five cars together. Which them made the line astronomical (like 30 minute waits on the slowest of days), and the ride unpleasant as you would wait at two or three various stopping points seemingly at random as the other 5 car trains were being loaded... all while an employee rode the back car to supervise (and further increase wait times). It was pretty miserable, and they finally shut it down.
    Does anyone even bother with signatures anymore?

• Parking Lot > DCA

Quote Originally Posted by FlyBono24 View Post
    I have no idea why they closed that ride down. It was one of my favorites. It needed a facelift in recent years, though.

So they closed it down and now it's sitting there, empty? So stupid...
    Quote Originally Posted by JesterMn View Post
    ^As I understand it, security. People were staring to exit the ride and roam around, as well as engage in fully carnal behavior.

To help counteract that, they linked five cars together. Which them made the line astronomical (like 30 minute waits on the slowest of days), and the ride unpleasant as you would wait at two or three various stopping points seemingly at random as the other 5 car trains were being loaded... all while an employee rode the back car to supervise (and further increase wait times). It was pretty miserable, and they finally shut it down.
    JesterMn pretty much hit the nail on the head. From what I have heard, and these are totally rumors, is that most of the stuff (animatronics, set pieces, etc) from the first few scenes were removed and the rest were left. For what reason they would do that, I'm not sure. I've also heard that there is some graffiti in certain parts of the ride as well from employees that are on break in that area and stuff.

While I hope that the second claim is false part of me thinks that might actually be true as well. Regardless the building is basically sitting empty up there. If you stand back far enough (near the fountain by the Johnny Rockets) you can still catch a glimpse of the mural at the loading area. It's in pretty primo condition.

The top photo was taken recently through the locked gate at the exit ramp, the one below it was taken when the ride was still in operation. You can check out more cool shots of what it looks like now (and be sad) here.

Name:  01BearyTales18-2.jpg
Views: 280
Size:  37.3 KB

Name:  01read-image1.jpg
Views: 281
Size:  52.1 KB

Sorry for getting a bit off topic here!

EDIT: One more thing! I found this thread from a year or so ago here on MiceChat. Check out these interior photos of KotD in it's current state. How sad..

KOD is dead.
    Last edited by explodingboy; 11-30-2012 at 07:46 AM.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Knott's really is a great little park. There was once a time that Knotts and Disneyland were neck to neck in popularity. And if Disney keeps increasing prices and continues to offer less in relation to those prices I wouldn't be surprised if we see a return of those days. As a matter of fact I rather look forward to this. Back then Disneyland was actually quite a bit better, when it actually had some legitimate competition.

• Planning my next trip

Was in bed last night, glanced at the clock and it read 12:01. At that moment I realized that my pass had officially expired ending a 6 year run.

• DL College Program 97/98

Forget KOD, I want my Knott's Bear-y Tales ride back!

• Vidia's Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Meville View Post
    Well, simply put, they are still increasing the prices of the AP's by a large margin, larger than a cost of goods or inflation type of increase. My bet is that the AP program was too successful and Disney feels that there are too many "drop in" guests. :

I'm not sure if I buy that, a much more effective way to reduce the AP number is to stop the payment plan.

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by Jayce View Post
    I'm not sure if I buy that, a much more effective way to reduce the AP number is to stop the payment plan.
    how would that limit the AP? i am just wondering...

• Banned User

Why would the AP Plan need to be limited anyhow?
    reports I read stated the attendance is up, but not near the Pre-recession amounts.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisonedapples View Post
    how would that limit the AP? i am just wondering...
    Because this is a credit-driven society. A lot of people can't afford $400-500, or whatever, all at once. But they can stretch it out and make payments every month.

I, along with several other passholders that I asked, noticed that when the payment plans were introduced, the parks were a LOT more crowded during the usual "non-tourist" hours when it's mostly passholders in the park.

I'd love to see a statistic from Disney on how many passholders there were before and after the payment plan.

I understand that their plan was to let EVERYONE be able to afford a pass, but it backfired when long-time passholders (like myself) are getting pissed off and can't even get in the park anymore. I've gone 2-3 times when the parking structure is completely closed because they've been over capacity. And that's why I didn't renew. I'm fine with it, I've found other things to do.

Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 ... LastLast