Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 29101112131415 ... LastLast

• I'm from Canada eh!

Re: Say bye-bye to a 11-12 year Annual Passholder...

Quote Originally Posted by Retrocool View Post
    Oh that's just brilliant. "If it's too expensive, don't go." Seriously? That's an argument? I'm sure that's exactly what Disney wants - for people to NOT go to Disneyland. Yeah, they'll make a ton of money when people spend their money ELSEWHERE.

I think you're missing the point here.

A trip to Disneyland used to be affordable for pretty much every working family, including single-income families. Nobody's against saving up for a trip - people even saved up back in the day. Depending on a family's given financial situation at a given time, saving up may be necessary.

How long should someone save up for a trip, though? 2 months? 6 months? A year? Two years? Three years?

Disneyland has gone from being a place where ALL families, regardless of income, can affordably enjoy themselves, to a place where only those at a certain income level or above can affordably go.

That's not right.

Knott's Berry Farm offers much more reasonable and affordable pricing options, as do plenty of other entertainment pursuits. Those other pursuits might require some saving up, too, but not for that long a time. Why should Disneyland be so insanely expensive, year after year, ever increasing? It's one thing to pay a bit of a premium for it, but at some point, the price increases to a level that you're not willing to pay.

Pricing issues at Disneyland did NOT exist before Eisner & Co. People simply did not have problems with the price of admission, tickets, food, or souvenirs in the Park before then. Back then, all pricing was reasonable, and affordable for pretty much everybody. Sure, some were able to afford more than others, but the basic Disneyland experience was accessible to all.

For the past several years, that's been changing, drastically. The tremendous problems the economy's been experiencing in the last few years haven't made that any better, either. For many people, Disneyland has become, and for others it is increasingly becoming, unaffordable.

Of course the suits don't care. They're making money hand over fist, year after year, and they all have their golden parachutes on top of it.

The whole fact that Disneyland has gone from being simply "Disneyland" to "the Disneyland Resort" speaks volumes as to how the suits view the Anaheim park. It used to be that Disneyland was affordable for all, and Walt Disney World was the more expensive resort. You expected to spend more at WDW, because it offered more, a lot more, and was much bigger. Somewhere along the line, the suits thought it was a good idea to try to put that "resort" sensibility that always existed in Florida onto the Anaheim park, and it has proven a laughable mess of an idea.

The simple fact of the matter is that, no matter what they want to call it, Disneyland never has been (and unless Disney buys half of Anaheim, never will be) a RESORT.

So they need to get off their high horses and just bring the prices back down to a more affordable level. Keeping AP prices high is fine with me (I've never owned one; never wanted to); in fact, they could double them and it wouldn't faze me any. But make it more affordable for people to visit the Park for one, two, or three days. That way, even if you have to save up for a trip, you can do so in a reasonable amount of time.

Just to point out, again (because it can never be mentioned enough) - in 1985, a Disneyland Passport was $16.50. That included Park admission and unlimited attractions. $16.50, translated into 2012 dollars, is $35.30. In 1995, it was $33.00, which translates to $49.85 in 2012 dollars. In 2005, it was $56.00, which translates to $66.01 in 2012 dollars. So why does a one-day, one-park ticket in 2012 cost $87.00? It's ridiculous. If they reduced the price of a one-day, one-park ticket to $36.00 (roughly equivalent to the 1985 price), not only would Disneyland be much more affordable for everyone, but Disney would continue to make plenty of money at the Parks, not just from admissions but also from souvenirs and food, since guests who might otherwise be forced to avoid souvenirs (or limit them) and eat outside the Park (or brown-bag it, as techskip and his family did, and which families have done since 1955) would likely have extra funds available. And, more importantly, they'd garner more positive word of mouth, and families who can go more frequently than others could do so without a lot of financial strain.

Most likely, multi-day, multi-park tickets would also see price reductions as well (1-day Park Hoppers would be $72.00, twice the price of the single park ticket). 2-day Park Hoppers would be $125.00. 3-day Park Hoppers would be $175.00 (that's just under $30 per park, per day). Reasonable. Affordable. Save-up-able.

And honestly, I'd increase the price of Annual Passes to $1500, which is just over $4.10 a day for 365 days. That way, the folks who just gotta have an AP and are able to spend for it can do so, and the rest of us can more affordably go when we can. More once- and twice-a-year trips. More valued memories. More magic. Less treating Disneyland like it's a mall.

More importantly, you wouldn't have this argument about Disneyland prices being too expensive anymore. Everyone would be able to afford a trip more easily.
    Yeah but what happens when the park hit capacity at 11 am and thousands of guests need to be turned away?

It's simple economics, supply and demand. Disneyland is in demand, Disneyland is more $. Disney is not looking to pack the park with guests. They strive to operate in a sweet spot that ensures enough guests to bring the money and enough Disney to go around. If there are too many guests, the operations suffer, lines are enormous, and guest will not come back.

Rising prices controls this and while it is unfortunate for some people who can't in, it is a simple fact of capitalism. Consequently it's the same reason why I drive a Ford and not a BMW.

• Banned User

I've already addressed the issue of overcrowding, meville. What Disney is doing, and what I'm proposing that they do as well, both target the issue of overcrowding. The likelihood of the park hitting capacity and "thousands of guests" being turned away is severely decreased.

Thanks for paying attention, though!

• I'm from Canada eh!

Well maybe you are right retrocool. I would sincerely love to live in a world where my family could get into the park for less than $100 bucks a day and it would never be busy and I could fly a unicorn Pegasus directly from my home.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Meville View Post
    Well maybe you are right retrocool. I would sincerely love to live in a world where my family could get into the park for less than $100 bucks a day and it would never be busy
    Dude, I grew up being able to do exactly this, and we didn't visit the park more than once or twice a year, maybe 3 times tops. While there were some busy times, I also distinctly remember some not-so-busy times, when the Park seemed almost vacant and you could ride an E ticket ride without a wait (or without much of one). POTC and Haunted Mansion with literally NO wait at all? Done it, several times. Space Mountain with a 10 or 15 minute wait? Done it (even did it with almost no wait at all once, during the last half hour before closing). I've even done Peter Pan's Flight with a 5 minute wait once, in the early morning. Seriously. Fantasyland was virtually empty, but there were characters walking around nonetheless. Yes, it was a long time ago (the 70s; however I also remember a 10 minute wait for Star Tours at night one time in the summer of 1990), but we didn't have APs back then, which is my main point. The omnipresence of APs is the main cause of the constant crowding at the Park, and the overcrowding concerns. Reduce the number of APs by increasing their cost, and you'll alleviate the crowd issue. But instead of penalizing locals who may only be able to go for a day or two (and to encourage tourism from outside Southern California), reduce the daily ticket prices, which makes it more fair for all, like it was before. Crowding issue still solved.

• I'm from Canada eh!

Again, I love the idea. But I think you are forgetting some variables. The population of the greater Los Angeles area has doubled from 1975 to now. That in itself should prove as to why crowd levels will never go back to how you remember it.

I suppose the argument could be that Disneyland itself has doubled in size. Yeah, sure, but the Disney company is arguably more popular that it was 35 years ago to. More people are fans of Disney making it a more desirable place to vacation.

Now I'm not bashing you, and I'm agreeing with the great idea that Disney could be both cheap and not busy, but I just don`t agree with the thought that reducing prices will ever make the park less busy.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by JMazz View Post
    This Monday, as in yesterday, A MONDAY, DL hit it's biggest crowd to date since the CL opening (according to Al). So yeah, I get what the OP is saying, but at the same time, I am blown away at the popularity of the whole resort.

Not to sound crass, but I am pretty sure that Disney is relying on ppl like the OP to just give up. They aren't trying to *only* reduce the # of APs, they are trying to reduce the #s of all types of entry into the parks. With demand that high, can you blame them? Profits aside, DL was never intended to host the numbers we are seeing in the past 10 years. The old infrastructure is a major concern to TDA.
    ??

I don't agree with this as it presumes that TDA is worried about the physical look of the property over making $$$. Iger and tons of executives on down are happy that DLR is seeing bigger numbers. Disneyland has a steady stream of refurbishments and renovations, always has and always will, and Carsland is brand spanking new so is a long way from a big refurb. DLR can handle the numbers, DL's numbers are similar to past numbers, though it always peaks around Christmas.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Meville View Post
    Again, I love the idea. But I think you are forgetting some variables.
    Some of the heaviest factors include, legal fees, insurance and even utility costs have risen higher and faster than inflation.
    Then there are the fuel, new taxes and CA specific environmental and legal regulations, product indexes and globalism costs.

------

Aside, (referring to those fueling the "people can't save" fires) There is no valid reason to belittle someone if they choose to purchase an AP through the ZERO % interest monthly payment program. As many have stated, we all use finance programs to purchase homes, cars, tv's, vacations, etc... Be it via loans or credit. The only difference I see is one is a no brainer at 0% interest.

so please, stop using that in your arguments.

• C4C6C

For a family of 6 (me) that equates to almost $300 a month. It is just not affordable anymore. And it became more of a chore to go with the crowds and took away from the fun with the family.
    "And yes, we implore EVERYBODY to follow the park rules. Having off-ride footage is great, but any still photo's or video's taken ON the coasters at SFMM are strictly against the rules. They are there for your (and everybody's) safety." "Six Flags doesn't allow ANY loose articles on their coasters, and they don't allow video taping on their coasters. " BUT, "​ This is not true. Six Flags does not allow ANY On-Ride video or pictures on the rides. The ONLY way is if you get explicit permission from Park Management." ???

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by TacAlert View Post
    For a family of 6 (me) that equates to almost $300 a month. It is just not affordable anymore. And it became more of a chore to go with the crowds and took away from the fun with the family.
    That was our experience a few years back. Prior to the introduction of the monthly payment plan we took the kids 2-3 times a month if not more. After the introduction of monthly we went 6 times total, and left 2 times after not being able to get down Main Street because of crowds. We require 6 AP's... considering the crowds and the expense it simply is not worth it.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• Minion

Our passes expired on Saturday, and my family did not decide to renew them. It's a sad feeling, but I do realize that it is too expensive for us, and the crowd levels lately have been atrocious. But overall, it will be somewhat nice to get off of my Disneyland addiction for a while.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    we took the kids 2-3 times a month if not more.
    Whew. I gotta admit, that sort of frequency has been pretty alien to me for most of my life, with the exception of the summer of 1990, when I worked on Main Street, and I was able to get into the Park free before or after my shift, and, if I recall correctly, on my days off (hey, if you can get in for free, why not, right?). But as a paying guest, Disneyland was always very different for me, and I treated each visit as if it was special, because most of the time it was - it was a very special event, a real treat. While it was fun to get in often during the summer I worked there, if I was able to get in all the time over the course of a year, or even year after year, I think eventually I'd start to get bored and begin wondering why I was going there so often, and I shudder to think that I'd ever have that attitude toward Disneyland.

To me, Disneyland is like a rich dessert. If you eat it once in a blue moon, it retains its special appeal for you, its magic, so to speak. If you eat it with every meal, sure, it's fun at first, but eventually, you get jaded, and its specialness wears off.

It's like hearing a really cool song on the radio that very first time, or the first few times. You enjoy it, but if you start hearing it every hour, you begin to get sick of it.

I don't ever want that to happen with Disneyland.

I hope that for those folks who aren't renewing their APs, that this helps to make Disneyland really extra special for you again, so that when you visit the Park again, you can really savor it.

Heck, nowadays just taking your family to the movies can cost as much as a day at Disneyland did back when I was little.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Victor Brunswick View Post
    Heck, nowadays just taking your family to the movies can cost as much as a day at Disneyland did back when I was little.
    Using an AP to its max, a day at Disneyland can be cheaper than going to the movies. The only thing cheaper is going to a city park, local beach or mall. Which, of course, is what many people treat Disneyland like.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    Using an AP to its max, a day at Disneyland can be cheaper than going to the movies. The only thing cheaper is going to a city park, local beach or mall. Which, of course, is what many people treat Disneyland like.
    Kind of an unrealistic comparison.

• some assembly required

Quote Originally Posted by txdisney View Post
    I dont think the human brain can handle dynamic pricing well. If they did do it, it would have to be list price discounts on various days so the price ceiling is known.
    Hotels and airlines do it all the time.
    I don't think DLR needs to be THAT complicated, but they can def raise and lower during certain times of the year.
    The AP program could shift to a seasonal and very limited pass.
    ~Jay

"Ahh-chooo!" ~ Walt Disney
    "Bless you." ~ My Grandfather
    (Disneyland, circa 1957)

Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 29101112131415 ... LastLast