Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast

Re: Say bye-bye to a 11-12 year Annual Passholder...

Many of you act as if Disney brainwashes us all and manipulates us and we are their little zombies, when the reality is, the point of an AP is to save money for everyone, not cater to you more and give you extra discounts because you're a long time pass holder.
    I am guessing that since you were a pass holder, you must go to the parks quite often, or enough that you save some amount of money total. I am assuming that since you will not be saving money by getting an AP, you are going to be heading to DL less. It's sad to see someone lose their passion for DL, and their ability to go as much, over the fact that you want lower prices, when you are already saving a lot.

This amuses me. I realize people saw the jump in prices for AP's and they hit the roof. I did. The funny thing is, what Disney's done in Cars Land, Buena Vista Street, and the Mad T Party band, I find myself going to DCA weekly if not more times. At this point in time I spend 80% of my time in DCA vs 20% in Disneyland. Last year and years prior, it was 90% in Disneyland and 10% in DCA, and I was going less. Here's the real kicker though. People don't realize that if they don't spend their money for AP, they will spend it other places. You go to the movies (non-matinees) your spending like $12 on the movie alone. You go to a ball game and you're spending $20 on a ticket. It all adds up. I've looked at going to concerts and $100 or more for a ticket would allow me to go to 6 concerts and spend 18 hours of my life there for the same price of a Premium Pass. Let's say you were lucky enough to have nosebleed Laker season tickets for one person, I figure that's going to be $1200, and most people have at least two tickets, so that's $2,4000 per year. If you're burned out on Disney, I can understand that, it happens. Take a year off. If you don't think you're getting your money's worth out of it, I get that too, things and people change. But realize, but not renewing the pass, you're not saving any money, you just are deciding to spend your money elsewhere, and that's fine. Remember, Disney is a business. They are in business to make money. If it's out of your price range, that's fine. I don't complain when they up the prices on a Mercedes or BMW, because they are out of my price range and I don't take it personally. I just wish people wouldn't take Disney doing business as a personal attack on them and it's Disney saying, "You suck." That's not what it is, it's Disney saying, "We want to make more money to have another BMW." Do I think that it's pricey for a daily pass? Yes, I do. I'm of the camp that thinks one day passes should be around $50 and there should be two Annual Passes, one for $1,000 that has some blockouts and another for $2,000 or $2,500 that has no blockouts but gives those people nights in the park for themselves, advanced viewing and special things. That's just me. I don't hold a grudge when they raise prices, I just ask, "Can I afford it or not?" If I can't then I don't buy and move on.

• Sock Puppet

I'm unlikely to renew come May. Not because of price increases, but because so many of my reasons for visiting the park have disappeared and it looks as though they will continue to.

• C4C6C

Quote Originally Posted by FlyBono24 View Post
    After 11 (or could be 12?) years as an AP... I'm finally NOT renewing my pass this time. They've jacked up the price numerous times, and we've paid without complaint.

This last price hike is just RIDICULOUS though... and NO discounts for long-time passholders either. They just think they can take your money every year without ANY incentive for being a passholder for more than a decade.

Well that's it, I'm DONE. They aren't getting any more of my money.
    I am right there with you. I gave our passes up about 2 years ago after 20 years. 4 kids, price hikes, 110 mile round trip drive, CROWDS. It just wasn't worth it anymore. Fun while it lasted, but money can be spent somewhere else.
    "And yes, we implore EVERYBODY to follow the park rules. Having off-ride footage is great, but any still photo's or video's taken ON the coasters at SFMM are strictly against the rules. They are there for your (and everybody's) safety." "Six Flags doesn't allow ANY loose articles on their coasters, and they don't allow video taping on their coasters. " BUT, "​ This is not true. Six Flags does not allow ANY On-Ride video or pictures on the rides. The ONLY way is if you get explicit permission from Park Management." ???

I've been a long time Premium AP holder and was there last night. I think of the 10 times I've been there this year the crowds have just been horrible. Last nights crowd had me thinking I won't be renewing in February. Money is not the issue, I can pay for my annual passes in full on the spot with no problem.. I just realized the value is not there for me when it takes me hours to get on a couple of rides while I spend $50 on a few snacks for us. It used to be only during certain times of the year when it was so bad and now it seems like there is no offseason..

Why are people attacking others when they mention the price increases? For a lot of people money is tight right now and I honestly think that it's sad and it sucks that some people won't be able to afford to renew their passes. I don't think that we should kick anyone while they are down. For those people who say Disney can charge whatever they want and we should all be honored to be able to go, ok, that's your opinion, but I ask you, is your vision of Disneyland one where only people of a certain income level can visit? Do you want it to turn into an exclusive country club? I don't think that was Walt's vision....

Quote Originally Posted by JMazz View Post
    Not to sound crass, but I am pretty sure that Disney is relying on ppl like the OP to just give up.
    Yup. EXACTLY the reason. I'm disgusted with it, so after at least 20 years of AP's, I quit mine this year as well. The amount they're asking is obscene. More money for less & less value.
    Last edited by Duffy Lover; 11-22-2012 at 12:49 AM.

I feel you on this one. My pass expired on the 8th of this month, and I aint renewing. Too much money. Maybe in a couple years when I have more money I'll reconsider it. In the mean time I have plenty of friends who work at Disneyland who will sign me in
    Jack Sparrow - "You have been monstrously deceived." Pirate - We are decepted then..." Jack Sparrow - "Yes"

• A Pirate's Life For Me...

Way too far from the magic..Glendale, Arizona

I live in AZ, I didn't start going to DL multiple times a year until I was in my early teens, and at that time just going just a few times a year was worth the AP. I only had it for a few years and as I got older it got harder to get the time to go (school, work, baby) and now its a financial thing. The first year I didn't got at least once was very strange, but since my trips are few and far between now (i've been so lucky to go twice this year, idk when i'll be back) each time I go its super special to me.

Take some time away, absence makes the heart grow fonder or you will find some other way to spend that money

Thank you Poisonedapples for my my my signature!!!

• Hooterville, USA

This is 1972 and it's our band marching down Main Street. It's the best day I ever spent in DL, and that says a lot!

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• Seeker of Fun

Yes, the price increases make you flinch. However, who is doing the real flinching? Is it those who have paid over the years and been able to use the park as a personal backyard, or the ones who only visit once or twice a year? I welcome the price increases. If everyone paid a per use charge, well, Disney would still be making a lot of money and I doubt there would be a 2 hour wait times for rides.
    Stockholder and Walt Disney Autograph holder!!

• C4C6C

Quote Originally Posted by JediPrincess View Post
    Why are people attacking others when they mention the price increases? For a lot of people money is tight right now and I honestly think that it's sad and it sucks that some people won't be able to afford to renew their passes. I don't think that we should kick anyone while they are down. For those people who say Disney can charge whatever they want and we should all be honored to be able to go, ok, that's your opinion, but I ask you, is your vision of Disneyland one where only people of a certain income level can visit? Do you want it to turn into an exclusive country club? I don't think that was Walt's vision....
    Agreed. And on the flip side, many can't afford it and are taking advantage of the monthly payments to their credit cards and paying only the minimum payment. They are probably paying for passes from 5 years ago or whenever they started the program.

To some it has become an addiction.
    "And yes, we implore EVERYBODY to follow the park rules. Having off-ride footage is great, but any still photo's or video's taken ON the coasters at SFMM are strictly against the rules. They are there for your (and everybody's) safety." "Six Flags doesn't allow ANY loose articles on their coasters, and they don't allow video taping on their coasters. " BUT, "​ This is not true. Six Flags does not allow ANY On-Ride video or pictures on the rides. The ONLY way is if you get explicit permission from Park Management." ???

I'm always curious about those people who live close enough to have an AP, as we live out of state and are only in So Cal 3-4 times a year.

For the many of you in this thread, including the OP, who are not renewing their passes due to the price hike or whatever, how many times did you visit the park in the last year? How close do you live to DL? What kind of trips did you make? Did you stay overnight, or just drop by after work?

• I'm from Canada eh!

I'm not sure I will renew either, but it is mostly because getting down from Canada is getting harder everytime so a park hopper will be a better option when we come.

It is funny (or perhaps ironic) that long time Ap's are starting to drop their ap's because the park is too busy, presumably with more AP's. So Disney does the right thing and increases the cost of an AP (Supply and demand) thus thinning the numbers, leading to a less busy park, making it more enjoyable to current Ap's. Maybe I will renew next year, could be a slow year

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by erdons View Post
    I've been a long time Premium AP holder and was there last night. I think of the 10 times I've been there this year the crowds have just been horrible. Last nights crowd had me thinking I won't be renewing in February...
    No one goes to Disneyland anymore, because it's too crowded.

Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast