Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 234567815 ... LastLast

• some assembly required

Re: Say bye-bye to a 11-12 year Annual Passholder...

Quote Originally Posted by FlyBono24 View Post
    Instead of just raising the prices, they should've gotten rid of the payment plan. A LOT more people got passes when they introduced that.

But of course, getting rid of the payment plan would decrease their bottom line.
    Agreed with the "bottom line" comment... raising the price gets fewer numbers of APers AND gets more money for Disney. I think they kept the payment plan intact b/c it is such a major trend these days to pay for an AP ''on time''. Heck, that is how many ppl pay for most things. More ppl will pay the higher levels for an AP if they can pay it over time. Disney sells more passes at higher prices. Overall, I would guess that they sold less APs since June.

Please note: I am guessing on the current numbers of APs.

Quote Originally Posted by biggsworth View Post
    This week isn't the best example as a lot of schools are out and it's a holiday. I was there a week ago Monday and it was nice and light. I just think it depends on when you go for the lines but Tuesdays have always served me well in non-holiday conditions. As far as the pass goes it's a good value if you go a lot and buy a lot of merchandise which I do. On the new pass price I have been 10 times so I am already under the park hopper price average and i will be going a lot more.
    The traditional #s for July 4th vs this past Monday's #s is quite significant. One is a major holiday and and one is only the Monday of a major holiday week. One had a larger % of kids out of school. It's all about block-outs I guess. I do agree that this week isn't a good baseline, but then again, this whole year has been outta whack as far as numbers go and this was the point of my post. It just is so amazing to me at how much ppl will pay and how huge the crowds are getting. With so many ppl saying that "they quit", there must be so many more that will fork it over. After the end of the summer season in 2013, we will really see what happens with the numbers.
    ~Jay

"Ahh-chooo!" ~ Walt Disney
    "Bless you." ~ My Grandfather
    (Disneyland, circa 1957)

• "I don't like the color"

Quote Originally Posted by the mermaid View Post
    Many of you act as if Disney brainwashes us all and manipulates us and we are their little zombies
    Maybe because it's true?
    “No worries, stay calm, one question. 
Do you happen to know how to fly this thing?”

• some assembly required

Quote Originally Posted by Meville View Post
    It is funny (or perhaps ironic) that long time Ap's are starting to drop their ap's because the park is too busy, presumably with more AP's. So Disney does the right thing and increases the cost of an AP (Supply and demand) thus thinning the numbers, leading to a less busy park, making it more enjoyable to current Ap's.
    I was wondering about this thought as I purchased my very first AP a couple months ago (last Sept).

As far as my household is concerned, we backfired on Disney. We went once a year, didn't parkhop much on our single day visits and only had one 2 day visit ever. We are not locals., but go almost every year.

Now we have APs, planned a very Disneyland vacation and spent 4 full days in the parks bookended with a partial day before/after (6days total). We will be going again in December as was the plan all along when we decided that we would make this a Disney year. We will go a couple more times when we hit SoCal in 2013 for other things.

So we just added to the numbers that DLR is seeing. We didn't pay full price either since our admission is in the form of an AP. How many of us are out there that did this? I wonder if it was enough ppl to make a significant addition to the park's numbers?

Had I known that the park would be as busy as it was during the late Sept ''off-season'', I probably would have NOT spent so many days at the resort and only purchased a 2day hopper and changed my plans.
    I do love the parks, so we are going to stand by our Disney year. And then a year long break? A few years break? We don't know yet.

Anyway, my point is, when ppl are forking over the new prices, I feel that ppl are going to eliminate their other potential plans and just pack the park to the gills... a park that is already packed. They are going to "make it worth it". Not only is this going to add to the high numbers, it is going to be a resort full of cranky ppl who will be forcing the fun to milk their pass.
    ~Jay

"Ahh-chooo!" ~ Walt Disney
    "Bless you." ~ My Grandfather
    (Disneyland, circa 1957)

• "I don't like the color"

Quote Originally Posted by Meville View Post
    ISo Disney does the right thing and increases the cost of an AP (Supply and demand) thus thinning the numbers, leading to a less busy park, making it more enjoyable to current Ap's.
    But the thing is it hasn't led to a less busy park, the parks are more crowded than ever. Honestly, I think they need to start capping daily attendance. With so many guests in the parks nowadays the wear and tear on the attractions has got to be taking a toll hence so many refurbs and down time now.
    “No worries, stay calm, one question. 
Do you happen to know how to fly this thing?”

•   
    • ALL DISNEY ALL THE TIME

Blog Entries

A lot of people bought passes before the price hike so they won't expire till next June so maybe the number of pass holders will go down at that time and lessen the crowds. Mine expires in may but I will renew just because I think the value is worth the price ( in my opinion) parking alone would have already cost be around $750 so I can't complain
    Im here for fun and info not be a bully! Carsland here I come

• I'm from Canada eh!

Quote Originally Posted by Disneymike View Post
    But the thing is it hasn't led to a less busy park, the parks are more crowded than ever. Honestly, I think they need to start capping daily attendance. With so many guests in the parks nowadays the wear and tear on the attractions has got to be taking a toll hence so many refurbs and down time now.
    It will eventually lead to lower Ap numbers though as evidenced by the countless threads and threats by current AP's to cancel their long standing passes. As an economics study it is quite fascinating to see if it works, but it will take time.

Dude, the other attractions are OFTEN not working! In the last four or five visits, we left from the middle of the line because of technical difficulties at least three times. Space Mountain, Splash Mountain, Ariel's Undersea Adventure.

I do not remember the last time we visited the park and there were *no* attraction anomalies .

---------- Post added 11-23-2012 at 11:34 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by JediPrincess View Post
    Why are people attacking others when they mention the price increases? For a lot of people money is tight right now and I honestly think that it's sad and it sucks that some people won't be able to afford to renew their passes. I don't think that we should kick anyone while they are down. For those people who say Disney can charge whatever they want and we should all be honored to be able to go, ok, that's your opinion, but I ask you, is your vision of Disneyland one where only people of a certain income level can visit? Do you want it to turn into an exclusive country club? I don't think that was Walt's vision....
    Walt's vision died in 1966 when Walt died. Disneyland is run by the Walt Disney Corporation with the aim of maximizing return on their investor's dollars. (the shareholders). They have a good thing going because everyone with a pulse wants to go to Disneyland. They are going to do whatever it takes to maximize the amount of money they can earn from that asset.

• Banned User

AP holders are not to blame for crowds.
    A few points for AP holders:
    For us, if its too crowded, we leave. Sure, we may ride a couple of rides and eat, but we soon go and chalk it up to, catching it next time.
    also, I do believe that the payment plan through Disney is interest free. It's a brilliant plan to cater to the current financial climate. Families find it hard enough to go and spend the cash in one fell swoop, so breaking it up over the year, makes sense to them.
    It also allows those families to enjoy the parks as much as anyone else.

•   
    • Sponge & A Rusty Spanner

Quote Originally Posted by mine,mine,mine View Post
    Just out of curiosity, to those not renewing. Are you still going to be coming to MiceChat and reading and participating in the forums?
    Yes.

Won't it be difficult to have input or even know what is going on without ever going to the park again?
    Not really, but not renewing isn't the same as never eyeing the parks ever again.

You don't think reading all the posts will make you miss Disneyland and want to go again?
    Sure, and I will go, but only a couple of times a year instead of 15-20.

So if you are quitting Disneyland are you also quitting MiceChat?
    No.

As far as refusing to pay the price just out of principle, who are you really punishing, Disneyland or yourself? Disneyland won't care if you don't go back, I am sure other people will go instead of you, but you are the one that will be missing out on all the magic that is Disneyland.
    It's not a matter of punishing. For a family of five, you can lease a car for what 5 annual passes cost. I'd rather have the car, although probably what I'll do is add Universal and either Sea World or the San Diego Zoo, and go to the beach and mountains a lot more.

So why not renew and enjoy the park? Heck even you said you go 1-2 times a month. If you go that often then it will pay for itself within 3 months with parking and discounts as well as entrance. then it will be like getting 9 months free plus discounted prices for food and shopping.
    It's a matter of comparing value. For $3250 plus all the money we spend on food, souvenirs, gas and other costs associated with our days at Disneyland, my family can have a lot more fun than we can at Disneyland. At the old prices, it was a close call. At the new 30% higher prices, it's time to try some other kinds of entertainment and scale back a lot on our Disney brand entertainment.
    Fight On! Beat the Bulldogs!

Tom Chaney Memorial Debate Lounge Quote of the Week:

Quote Originally Posted by Motorboat Cruiser View Post
    Did you also call out Anthony Hopkins for not being a cannibal in real life?
    This device kills fascists.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Just out of curiosity, to those not renewing. Are you still going to be coming to MiceChat and reading and participating in the forums?
    Sorry to dog pile on you here, but it looks like you have been a member only since July of this year. And you have had a pass for 12 years? I hardly think participating in Micechat is a requirement of holding an annual pass.

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    Sorry to dog pile on you here, but it looks like you have been a member only since July of this year. And you have had a pass for 12 years? I hardly think participating in Micechat is a requirement of holding an annual pass.
    sorry didn't mean to sound like that. I just hate for everybody to disappear from here because they don't go to Disneyland anymore. I get almost all my information from everybody else that is here and would really miss all the information I get. I didn't mean to say they didn't have to stop. i just wanted to know if they were going to. I truly hope they don't. I know most people here don't even go that often. Didn't want to sound mean, just curious.

• I'm from Canada eh!

sorry didn't mean to sound like that. I just hate for everybody to disappear from here because they don't go to Disneyland anymore. I get almost all my information from everybody else that is here and would really miss all the information I get. I didn't mean to say they didn't have to stop. i just wanted to know if they were going to. I truly hope they don't. I know most people here don't even go that often. Didn't want to sound mean, just curious.
    Oh don't worry. Miceage is full of people who barely go to the parks (or enjoy them) and are extremely quick to give you information about how good the park use to be.

It's interesting for me to read this thread, as my long time bf and I are talking about AP's as we are planning a trip to DL for Christmas this year. We're not going with our grown kids or taking my grand kids. We just want to do something different for Christmas this year. We don't need things and/or family drama, so leaving Sacramento for Southern CA is very appealing to us. I haven't been to DL as much as I've wanted to. He just retired. I saw the AP's as part of a greater plan: use my Hilton HHonors points and stay for free, and have time in the parks at various times of the year. Rather than feeling as though we need to cram everything into the visit, go and enjoy, leave and return as we wish, without feeling stuck to spend all day and evening in the parks. We've never seen the park at Christmas, although he has seen it at Halloween. I do believe we can do some last minute "lets go to disneyland this weekend" on a spur of the moment for a year. Who knows, maybe we'll do it for a year and decide not to renew. I'm not sure.

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

This is my home. I've been here almost since day one and I have gotten to know a lot of people really well, and have made some wonderful friends here over the years. As long as I'm still breathing and on this side of the daisies I'll be here.

Won't it be difficult to have input or even know what is going on without ever going to the park again?
    I will still be following the park through this forum and will still have opinions and be able to express them here.

You don't think reading all the posts will make you miss Disneyland and want to go again?
    Of course it will. I haven't been in the park since January and every time I see pictures it makes me sad that I can no longer go as much as I use to. But I still enjoy seeing pictures and remembering the good times.

So if you are quitting Disneyland are you also quitting MiceChat?
    See above statement regarding the same. Why would I quit MiceChat? I still am a fan of Disney I still enjoy the park just not as frequently as I did before and I have so many friends here that I hang out with and talk to why would I go anywhere else?

So why not renew and enjoy the park? Heck even you said you go 1-2 times a month. If you go that often then it will pay for itself within 3 months with parking and discounts as well as entrance. then it will be like getting 9 months free plus discounted prices for food and shopping.
    I'm 110 miles away one way. When I come down I have food, gas, motel etc to consider. The price of the pass has finally hit my personal price point of no return. I didn't renew in October because I could no longer afford to pay for the pass, motel, gas etc since I work two part time jobs and my husband has now been out of work for almost 6 weeks. Even if I were closer where I could make it to the park more than once or twice a year my focus is now on making sure my bills are paid and an AP is now a luxury for me.

I'm not ruling out one day having a pass again, but its not going to happen for me for a long while.

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • isn't an elitist

You want a discount? Your Annual Pass IS a discount! Have you checked the one day pass prices?

The 2 major complaints that I see are 1) it's too busy and 2) the prices are too high. Well you can't have both. Sorry it's one or the other. But you not renewing makes it better for us that do go so thanks!
    Last edited by hollywood1939; 11-23-2012 at 10:10 PM.
    -Jack
    Doc Brown had 2 Deloreans!

Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 234567815 ... LastLast