Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 ... LastLast

• Functional & Decorative

Re: Say bye-bye to a 11-12 year Annual Passholder...

Quote Originally Posted by StevenW View Post
    Not only have people avoided going to Knott's, they aren't enticed by its park and its attractions. Six Flags have an even worse reputation. Universal Studios is more expensive, but they are offering discounts on the other hand. This might change when they add Harry Potter.
    People have avoided going to Knott's? What evidence do you have? The last few times I've gone, it's been quite crowded. Same with SFMM and USH.
    Does anyone even bother with signatures anymore?

• Banned User

The thing is, those other parks are completely different and have a different audience.
    They are not immersive to the extent DLR and DCA are. They are thrill rides inside a fence, basically. Nothing wrong at all with that. They serve their consumers and in ways the Disney parks cannot. Which is also why they have all been able to thrive successfully together.

DISNEYLAND was built not as a thrill park but a world of innocence and imagination. Their audience buys tickets for that.

• Functional & Decorative

Knott's is a little more than thrill rides in a fence. Their Ghost Town is historically more accurate and authentic than Frontierland.
    Does anyone even bother with signatures anymore?

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by JesterMn View Post
    Knott's is a little more than thrill rides in a fence. Their Ghost Town is historically more accurate and authentic than Frontierland.
    understood

I do not believe Frontierland was built for historical accuracy or authenticity.

•   
    • ALL DISNEY ALL THE TIME

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jsmith11618 View Post
    Do any of those complaining about the price, do the math to see just how cheap the AP is, even at the higher end, which say is $650 (dont know the exact price.).

If you went just once per month, that comes to a very affordable 54 for each visit.

I really honestly do not see how that is totally out there price wise.

The airfare alone for me would cost more then the highest annual pass would.

Year by year the US seems to want everything basically free, they don't understand economics, and recession or not, people are still going to the parks, if attendance was hurting, we would not see increases of this kind, we would see decreases, but clearly they are comfortable with the price increase.

Regardless of what people think, management knows what they are doing to run a profitable business which at the end of the day is what needs to be done.

I like Disney, but I am not one where small little items bother me, I understand the parks are a business there to make money, its not there to cater to everyone and their brother.

Even in 1955 with being one of the first parks to charge admission, someone wasn't able to go.

I bet back in 1955, the lower class still could not afford a trip to Disneyland.

If spending money or not spending money at Disneyland is the worst of your issues, then your living a pretty good life.
    Yes excellent post
    Im here for fun and info not be a bully! Carsland here I come

• Sshhh, being very quiet

People have avoided going to Knott's? What evidence do you have? The last few times I've gone, it's been quite crowded. Same with SFMM and USH.
    I have a friend who works there and has told me the park is dead as dead can be on a daily basis, no matter what day.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by clara View Post
    I have a friend who works there and has told me the park is dead as dead can be on a daily basis, no matter what day.
    I guess the ghost town has spread.

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by DJS View Post
    I guess the ghost town has spread.

• Parking Lot > DCA

Quote Originally Posted by StevenW View Post
    Knott's is quite cheap. Not only have people avoided going to Knott's, they aren't enticed by its park and its attractions.
    I partially agree. I wouldn't say people go out of their way to avoid Knott's, they definitely have their own fan base and seem to stay consistent for the most part. However, the appeal to the average guest just isn't there anymore I don't think. All they have done is cram as many thrill rides in that small space they have. They are at this stage where they are a weird mix between Disneyland and Six Flags, and it doesn't really mesh well. Not to mention the fact that they are constantly at battle with another huge theme park just miles down the 5 freeway.

Quote Originally Posted by JesterMn
    While you're correct about Ghost Town, one of the few, few areas left that actually gives the park it's "charm" I'd have to argue that they are just thrill rides in a fence now. Knott's had great attractions, and fun little things that made it awesome and something different. While most of those things have gone away for good, they were replaced with steel roller coasters, and poorly themed attractions. They realized they couldn't expand out any more so they started expanding up. Seeing Cedar Fair take over and not really make it better just flat out sucks. There are so many ways they could help bring back the charm Knott's had when it was run by the Knott's family up until 1997. Sadly they just don't care, and it's showing.

• Under that tree again!

Universal is trying to change its crowd pattern as is Knott's with less success.

The bulk of thier attendance is not in the Summer, Holidays or Spring break unlike most places. It's during Halloween.

It's weird but thier Halloween parties are where the get a bulk of thier revenue.

• La Reine Lézard

I'm with ya! After having them since the days of the Neon Cactus and the Monorail Cafe, our family's APs are expiring in December.

Quote Originally Posted by jsmith11618 View Post
    Do any of those complaining about the price, do the math to see just how cheap the AP is, even at the higher end, which say is $650 (dont know the exact price.).

If you went just once per month, that comes to a very affordable 54 for each visit.

I really honestly do not see how that is totally out there price wise.

The airfare alone for me would cost more then the highest annual pass would.

Year by year the US seems to want everything basically free, they don't understand economics, and recession or not, people are still going to the parks, if attendance was hurting, we would not see increases of this kind, we would see decreases, but clearly they are comfortable with the price increase.

Regardless of what people think, management knows what they are doing to run a profitable business which at the end of the day is what needs to be done.

I like Disney, but I am not one where small little items bother me, I understand the parks are a business there to make money, its not there to cater to everyone and their brother.

Even in 1955 with being one of the first parks to charge admission, someone wasn't able to go.

I bet back in 1955, the lower class still could not afford a trip to Disneyland.

If spending money or not spending money at Disneyland is the worst of your issues, then your living a pretty good life.
    Completely agree! I live in Canada, and on the kind of money I make, visiting is a rare luxury for me. In my entire life I've been able to go three times, five days each. A total of 15 days EVER. The thought of being able to pay $650 for unlimited access for a year PLUS discounts on food and merch? That just sounds like heaven to me.

I think perhaps if this is what gets you really riled up, you probably do need to step away and stop coming to the parks for a while because you aren't appreciating it anymore. I would happily drop $240 right now for some 5 day Parkhopper tickets if I could afford it, not to mention all the other costs associated with it like airfare and hotel. $650 for as many days as I want? Bargain!
    ..:: DLR Trips: 1994, 1999, 2012 ::..

• some assembly required

Quote Originally Posted by explodingboy View Post
    I partially agree. I wouldn't say people go out of their way to avoid Knott's, they definitely have their own fan base and seem to stay consistent for the most part. However, the appeal to the average guest just isn't there anymore I don't think. All they have done is cram as many thrill rides in that small space they have. They are at this stage where they are a weird mix between Disneyland and Six Flags, and it doesn't really mesh well. Not to mention the fact that they are constantly at battle with another huge theme park just miles down the 5 freeway.

As far as the tourist dollar is concern, KBF has grown because of DLR. In fact Knott's thrives simply b/c of its' proximity to DL. Knott's would have gone belly up by the 90s if it hadn't absorbed Disneyland's "cast-offs" (guests) day in and day out. It may have been a competition in the mid-20th century, but it is far from a battle now. Sometime in the 70s or 80s it became more of a symbiotic situation and it is a total goldmine. They don't try to vie for possible Disney-tourist dollars. Disneyland is the best advertisment KBF could ever hope for.

If there is a constant battle, it is between Knott's and something along the lines of Medeval Times or even Garden Walk.
    ~Jay

"Ahh-chooo!" ~ Walt Disney
    "Bless you." ~ My Grandfather
    (Disneyland, circa 1957)

Quote Originally Posted by swampymarsh View Post
    Universal is trying to change its crowd pattern as is Knott's with less success.

The bulk of thier attendance is not in the Summer, Holidays or Spring break unlike most places. It's during Halloween.

It's weird but thier Halloween parties are where the get a bulk of thier revenue.
    That makes sense. The only times I've gone in the past 10 years were for the Halloween events. And that was just a handful of times lol

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by explodingboy View Post
    Knott's should not be trying to beat Disney, it should provide an alternative. The thing is their alternative isn't working. Offering spinners and roller coasters doesn't work. They are the original DCA before the new DCA.

While you're correct about Ghost Town, one of the few, few areas left that actually gives the park it's "charm" I'd have to argue that they are just thrill rides in a fence now. Knott's had great attractions, and fun little things that made it awesome and something different. While most of those things have gone away for good, they were replaced with steel roller coasters, and poorly themed attractions. They realized they couldn't expand out any more so they started expanding up. Seeing Cedar Fair take over and not really make it better just flat out sucks. There are so many ways they could help bring back the charm Knott's had when it was run by the Knott's family up until 1997. Sadly they just don't care, and it's showing.
    Now that Cedar Fair is run by a former Disney executive, I wonder if they do get it. Knott's needs to change for the better. I haven't seen any plans that make sense. The new additions to replace the Plunge ride is more of the same. Where's the dark ride that they desperately need? There needs to be more family friendly rides. They need to improve Camp Snoopy.

The only parks that seem to provide a true alternative to Disney is Universal, Legoland, and Sea World.

Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 ... LastLast