Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• Sock Puppet

Re: I miss the Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse!

Quote Originally Posted by alphabassetgrrl View Post
    The trend has been to spoon-feed the guest a particular story, rather than the old way of immersing you in an atmosphere. I liked the atmosphere. Not so much the retelling of a story I already know.
    I think with more and more frequency Disney is greatly underestimating the value of atmosphere in their theme parks. They won't understand what made Disneyland so special until it's all gone.

Swiss Family Robinson is completely irrelevant to modern audiences. There was no reason to keep it the same. Tarzan was a better film, and I don't see the value (other than nostalgia) in keeping the tree stuck in 1960.

Disney didn't rerelease it as often as most of its animated films simply because it really wasn't that good... in my opinion.

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by dynamite goat View Post
    Swiss Family Robinson is completely irrelevant to modern audiences. There was no reason to keep it the same. Tarzan was a better film, and I don't see the value (other than nostalgia) in keeping the tree stuck in 1960.

Disney didn't rerelease it as often as most of its animated films simply because it really wasn't that good... in my opinion.
    Whether the film was any good or not really has little to do with the quality of the attraction. As a child I enjoyed the Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse without ever having seen the film or knowing anything about it. The relevance argument is used frequently, but doesn't hold any water. Mark my words: Disneyland will not be able to survive on "relevance" alone.

• Hooterville, USA

Quote Originally Posted by OliviaVonDrake View Post
    Whether the film was any good or not really has little to do with the quality of the attraction. As a child I enjoyed the Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse without ever having seen the film or knowing anything about it. The relevance argument is used frequently, but doesn't hold any water. Mark my words: Disneyland will not be able to survive on "relevance" alone.
    Great post!

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• " Planet of Puddingheads"

I must have missed it where Tarzan was the better film than TSFR.
    In 1960, TSFR grossed $40,000,000 which in 1999 dollars (the year Tarzan was released) is $222,993,197.28.
    Tarzan grossed $171,091,819 - hardly the better film according to receipts.
    TSFR was also the highest grossing film of 1960, beating such films as Psycho, Spartacus, and Exodus.
    “No worries, stay calm, one question. 
Do you happen to know how to fly this thing?”

And I don't believe it will survive being "irrelevant." SFR was great to me, as a child. As I look at it now, it would not fit. While you may not have known who "The Swiss Family Robinson" was, you knew you were in a tree house made of a ship. It's essentially the same as Tarzan's orgins, but not as interesting -to me-.

Disneyland can't survive on revelance alone, but without it, well... it becomes irrelevant. And it won't survive that.

---------- Post added 11-21-2012 at 07:49 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Disneymike View Post
    I must have missed it where Tarzan was the better film than TSFR.
    In 1960, TSFR grossed $40,000,000 which in 1999 dollars (the year Tarzan was released) is $222,993,197.28.
    Tarzan grossed $171,091,819 - hardly the better film according to receipts.
    TSFR was also the highest grossing film of 1960, beating such films as Psycho, Spartacus, and Exodus.
    Are you really going the "made more money=better film" route? Really?

Are you really going the "made more money=better film" route? Really?
    Yes really. Tarzan was a good to mediocre film and does not stand the test of time compared to TSFR.... IMO.

• Down Pluto!

Disney is appealing to the ever changing audience. Kids of today have little imagination unless it involves shooting things on a screen. With little ability to think outside a fully scripted immersive spoonfed story, they couldn't begin to picture themselves living in such a treehouse such as the Robinson's did. Seriously, have you spoken to an eight year-old lately? Imagination means mashing two fully detailed spoonfed stories together...and poorly at that. Even few of their parents read classics like Swiss Family Robinson, let alone have seen the movie.

If everything isn't clearly spelled out and fully developed - it gets passed over. Disney didn't cause this, but they nurture and feed it. Most likely because that is the way Disney management and Imagineering functions. Little original thought, but sure can make a new attraction based on a movie that was based on someone else's work.

I miss TSFRTH - and flexing my imagination...

</soapbox>

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

• film975

At least they still have the Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse at Disney World.

I don't want it back personally. It's easy to go back to what we remember and love especially in this era of remakes, reboots, retro and vintage. But I'd really like to see something new and different. Tie it into indy or a new attraction or give it a new original back story. Something good that we havent seen up there...I don't wan't disney stuck as a museum catering to pure nostalgia. But at the same time I don't want cheap attempts at being relevant. I want my cake and eat it too!!!

Its funny the two sides arguing classic vs relevancy. Old Vs new. What's funny is nearly all the things people love about classic Disney WAS relevant. Swiss family, Space travel, optimistic future, the old west....It was all relevant in the pop culture of the time.

Why is it that anything Disney does these days is so polarizing? Is it that disney forgot how to be relevant and put out a good product at the same time? Are we too concerned with the new and popular and forget what a good idea is? Are we too obsessed with the old and blinded by nostalgia?

Who knows. I'd say its a little of everything. I've been guilty of having an unfair nostalgic bias as well as being swayed by popular source material....and we can all agree that at times Disney doesn't always deliver the best. But I'm hopeful that what we see in the future will appeal to everyone, young and old. IMO its already starting to happen....Im looking at you DCA 2.0
    In the quest for quality, I have no problem with the characters footing the bill.

• ~

I'm too young to remember the Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse, but I've always found the Tarzan treehouse to be a cheap experience and lacking in imagination. On the other hand, all the pictures that I've seen of Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse look highly immersive, atmospheric, and magical. So I don't think that the preference ot SWFTH over TTH is purely based off nostalgia. It's coming from the people that don't want to be spoon-fed story and want to utilize their imaginations inside the gates of the park.

Quote Originally Posted by alphabassetgrrl View Post
    The trend has been to spoon-feed the guest a particular story, rather than the old way of immersing you in an atmosphere. I liked the atmosphere. Not so much the retelling of a story I already know.
    Bingo. Perfectly phrased.

I would disagree that Tarzan is a superior film in a heartbeat. Tarzan is a nice film, it isn't one of the best from the Walt Disney Animation Studios, it doesn't join the ranks of Beauty and the Beast or The Lion King. And actually, it and Swiss Family Robinson have the exact same rating of 7.0 on imdb. Ratings on imdb may not reflect everyone's feelings, but it's a good indicator that not everyone agrees with the idea that Tarzan is a "much better" film that Swiss Family Robinson.

And I wouldn't say the idea and story of Swiss Family Robison is irrelevant. There's humor, there's heart, there's romance, there's family, there's adventure, there's beauty, there's nature. How are those topics "not relevant" to today's society? They are still themes and ideas that we all understand.

And a movie doesn't need to be popular or well-known for its attraction to be loved and successful. Splash Mountain is a perfect example of this. Most Guests don't have the slightest idea what Song of the South even is but are still able to embrace the attraction for its enviornments and its story. Why would Swiss Family Robinson be any different?

• Sultan of Swing

I wasn't around when it was known as that although I have seen the Movie. Does anyone have good pictures of the attraction?
    Always read the fine print.

Quote Originally Posted by BugSam101 View Post
    I wasn't around when it was known as that although I have seen the Movie. Does anyone have good pictures of the attraction?
    There are a couple of pictures at this link to Yesterland:
    Swiss Family Treehouse at Yesterland
    The transformation to Tarzan's Treehouse in 1999 was simply a marketing move as the movie opened the same year.

• AKA - DisneyChris

I miss hearing the Swisskapolka song as you pass by. I know you can hear it playing on a record in one of the rooms now. But it is not the same. You used to be able to hear it all around the area. It seems like something is missing every time you pass now. That music became such a part of Disneyland. Before music was widely available on-line and what not, the only place you could ever hear the Swisskapolka was in the park, and as a kid, I looked forward to hearing that song every time I would go to Disneyland.

Someone previously in this thread classified the film Swiss Family Robinson as mediocre. Are you even a real Disney fan? I find it hard to beleive anyone who is a true fan of Disney would not love this movie. Have you even seen the film? Recently? It is one of the best live-action films Disney ever produced. And also one of the most successful. It ranks among Pollyanna, Old Yeller and Treasure Island as a true Disney classic.

Tarzan was a well made and entertaining film, but it does not measure up to a classic like Swiss Family Robinson, not even close. It is like comparing a fried egg sandwich to Eggs Benedict.

If anyone is interested, there is a 1960 episode from the Walt Disney anthology series posted on line, showing the making of the film. It is even more impressive when you know what went into its creation. Also, Walt is in the episode, so you can't go wrong there...

Here is the link.

Disneyland - 7.09 Excerpt - Escape to Paradise/Water Birds - YouTube

Now Presenting --- DISNEYLAND - A MAGICAL AUDIO TOUR
    An amazing interactive audio experience found only at my website -www.DisneyChris.com

• formerly very helpful

I think with more and more frequency Disney is greatly underestimating the value of atmosphere in their theme parks. They won't understand what made Disneyland so special until it's all gone.
    Hopefully the gazzilion dollars they made with Cars Land will help them realize that impecable atmosphere and immersion is part of what has traditionally brought them their success (and money).

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast