Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Smile I miss the Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse!

Does anyone else miss the old Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse? Even though I'm only 25, I remember as a little girl the treehouse was my favorite attraction. My parents showed me the film and I loved the magic of the treehouse, the idea that people could build a home in the trees that had real running water! I miss it! Tarzan's treehouse, while nice, just doesn't do it for me. Your thoughts?

• Banned User

Re: I miss the Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse!

I sure do. The Tarzan thing was a cute overlay for a few years while the animated movie was out, but I say they should re-theme it back to Swiss Family Robinson.

Actually, though, that reminds me of something Disney used to do back when I was a kid, that they don't do anymore, and they should. Theatrical re-releases of their classic films, both animated and live-action. I was born 6 years after Swiss Family Robinson came out in theaters originally, but I saw the film (and fell in love with it) in the 70s, when it was re-released theatrically a couple of times. I used to re-enact scenes of the movie in my backyard, especially the pirates' attack on the island fortress. Just LOVED that stuff.

But since the advent of the home video & cable era (which, of course, coincided with the advent of the Eisner era), Disney essentially abandoned its time-honored tradition of re-releasing its classic films theatrically (with a few exceptions, primarily of its animated classics). They used to do it every 7 years or so. Now, maybe reformatting and re-releasing of the home video or DVD, or an occasional cable TV appearance. I don't think it's quite the same, though, mostly because most of these films are meant to be seen theatrically (Swiss Family Robinson certainly is, since it was shot in 2.35:1 scope widescreen aspect ratio), and they're also often better enjoyed theatrically as well.

Especially now, with digital prints, Disney could make a really handsome profit on a lot of these films, with extremely little cash outlay for a re-release (re-releases are easy profit-makers because there's zero production cost involved; only marketing & distribution).

Anyway, I think if they re-released the film theatrically (rather than remake it, which is a more expensive proposition), modern audiences would be able to have a greater appreciation of it, and then the Treehouse could be restored to its original glory, and it would be more popular than ever. Just my $.02 cents.

• D'land Visitor since '57

Quote Originally Posted by Retrocool View Post
    I sure do. The Tarzan thing was a cute overlay for a few years while the animated movie was out, but I say they should re-theme it back to Swiss Family Robinson.

Anyway, I think if they re-released the film theatrically (rather than remake it, which is a more expensive proposition), modern audiences would be able to have a greater appreciation of it, and then the Treehouse could be restored to its original glory, and it would be more popular than ever. Just my $.02 cents.
    I agree that SFR had more appeal, at least for me. However, I fear that the concept of the Swiss Family Robinson would be lost on most modern-day guests. How many of them (without the rerelease that Retrocool proposes) have seen the movie or even know the story. Very few would be my guess.

While I would wish for a return to SFR I know that it will never happen.
    Proud member of Team It Doesn't Matterhorn, winners of the 2012 Gumball Rally Team Spirit Award.

• formerly very helpful

As has been stated here numerous times before, the Tarzan version has manequins to look at, which represent the story, and the guest can passively look at. The original Swiss Family Robinson version did a much better job of putting the guest into the scene, and making them the star of the story. When I climbed up the Swiss Family Robinson's tree house, I wasn't just watching. It made it a much more exciting attraction, IMHO.

How much really has changed though? I don't remember the Swiss Family version of the tree that well, it's been a while for me, but the tree seems essentially the same to me. Only there are apes in it now. Are they that much different?

Find our trip report videos on Youtube at FreshBakedDisney. Find our blog at www.freshbakeddisney.com.

• Sock Puppet

i don't miss it, i think that TTH has a little more pizazz to it! Besides, sometimes, somethings need to be changed.. i think that SFRTH was one of those things, kinda glad they did.I also think that it ties in well ( TTH) with Indy.

• Missing my AP

It goes back to the "Disney Way" of creating an atmosphere of imagination and immersion that is slowly eroding away. I understand change and marketing and keeping with the times, current films etc but TTH falls short of SFRTH. Many people who have experienced the old SFRTH enjoyed how they worked within a Classic story without actually having to tell it to you again and you could see how they used wreckage to build a house and how they created modern conveniences from nature etc. (just like you would have imagined it when reading a book)
    For that matter, I think many wished they could live there or build there own.
    Or am I the only dreamer left?

For me, the only part of TTH they got right was the camp at the base of the Tree.

As much as I would LOVE to see it retuned to it's original configuration, it would be too much work and money to justify. They really did change it a lot.

Getting off my soapbox now.

Have a great Thanksgiving everybody!
    "...It's dead wore out I be...a might too fast these light footed wenches be, for the likes of an old swagbellied pirate such as I..."

"*click-click-click-click-click-click-click.......sploosh!!*"(Sir Didymus)

The trend has been to spoon-feed the guest a particular story, rather than the old way of immersing you in an atmosphere. I liked the atmosphere. Not so much the retelling of a story I already know.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

• " Planet of Puddingheads"

Quote Originally Posted by Poisonedapples View Post
    i don't miss it, i think that TTH has a little more pizazz to it! Besides, sometimes, somethings need to be changed.. i think that SFRTH was one of those things, kinda glad they did.I also think that it ties in well ( TTH) with Indy.
    How do cartoon looking mannequins in a realistic looking treehouse equal pizzaz? As well as a human Indiana Jones tying in with said cartoon mannequins???
    “No worries, stay calm, one question. 
Do you happen to know how to fly this thing?”

• Hooterville, USA

Tarzan is a cheap way of taking a great attraction, cheapening it, and renaming it without spending any real money.

Kids would play on it without knowing who the Swiss Family Robinson was.

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• Sock Puppet

Yes, I miss it as well. Particularly the kinetic motion of the water system and the lived in feel and look, as though it could actually be someone's home. As a child it made me feel sort of like I was getting away with something, sneaking through someone's treehouse while they were away.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisonedapples View Post
    I also think that it ties in well ( TTH) with Indy.
    How do you figure that?

• Former Cast Member

The Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse brings back a lot of memories for me when I was cast member at the Riverbelle Terrace Restaurant. I worked a lot of opening shifts during the summer months and I always heard the organ playing the Swiss Polka, which I loved. I always loved the movie when I growing up and saw it countless times at the theater, but that organ music always stuck with me.

Well, why not a remake? They've remade Freaky Friday *twice." Or do a SFR TV series for ABC. It would be good and relatively cheap publicity to switch the Treehouse back.

• formerly very helpful

Quote Originally Posted by alphabassetgrrl View Post
    The trend has been to spoon-feed the guest a particular story, rather than the old way of immersing you in an atmosphere. I liked the atmosphere. Not so much the retelling of a story I already know.
    Very well put.

Quote Originally Posted by bigcatrik View Post
    Well, why not a remake? They've remade Freaky Friday *twice." Or do a SFR TV series for ABC. It would be good and relatively cheap publicity to switch the Treehouse back.
    A remake is a great idea.
    Tom Hanks can play the Dad.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast