Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 20 of 20
  1. #16

    • formerly very helpful
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    My new house in Southern California
    Posts
    5,227

    Re: Pirate island is great

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
    You're missing my point. POTC isn't "in" NOS, and therefore there's no thematic violation of either attraction. TSI is in the middle of Frontierland, so having 17th century swashbuckling Caribbean pirates on the banks of an island in the middle of a western "river" circa the mid 19th century is a thematic violation of the first order.
    You're right, I guess I did miss your point. I also agree, however, as much as this seems like a contradiciton, for some reason, it doesn't seem to encroach into the surrounding area, imho. Perhaps, since like Fowler's Harbor (New England) it represents an era of history that could be contemporary-ish with the surrounding area? Perhaps since from the mainland, you can't really see the piraty theme so much? I don't know.
    Just how I feel about it. Not wanting to get into a debate, since your views are 100% as valid as mine. Just how I see it.

  2. #17

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    752

    Re: Pirate island is great

    Quote Originally Posted by Flickering Bulb View Post
    Did I just read a teenager's Myspace post?
    Yes you did, as did I. ....and I think they call it Facebook nowadays, something like that.

  3. #18

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    1,469

    Re: Pirate island is great

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
    You're missing my point. POTC isn't "in" NOS, and therefore there's no thematic violation of either attraction. TSI is in the middle of Frontierland, so having 17th century swashbuckling Caribbean pirates on the banks of an island in the middle of a western "river" circa the mid 19th century is a thematic violation of the first order.
    Actually, the entrance to the amusement park attraction known as Pirates Lair on Tom Sawyer's Island is in Frontierland. Thematically, PL begins in the heart of the frontier, but then transports us hundreds of miles away to somewhere pirates are more relevant. Thematically, PL is nowhere near FL.

  4. #19

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,271

    Re: Pirate island is great

    Quote Originally Posted by Flickering Bulb View Post
    Did I just read a teenager's Myspace post?

  5. #20

    • Closed Account
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    5,897

    Re: Pirate island is great

    Quote Originally Posted by ohmyjustin View Post
    Actually, the entrance to the amusement park attraction known as Pirates Lair on Tom Sawyer's Island is in Frontierland. Thematically, PL begins in the heart of the frontier, but then transports us hundreds of miles away to somewhere pirates are more relevant. Thematically, PL is nowhere near FL.
    Trying to be cute does nothing to alter the fact that Pirate's Lair is a thematic nightmare that would never have even been considered back when Imagineers understood cohesive theming, and when accountants weren't involved in the creative process.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Tom Sawyer Island becomes Pirate Island?
    By ProfGriffin in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-23-2007, 02:58 PM
  2. Burned Pirate Island Quest
    By FlAmMaBle in forum Disney Interactive and Game Industry Discussion
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 01-23-2007, 11:17 AM
  3. Interesting Pirate Island Tidbit
    By Sadako in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 51
    Last Post: 01-18-2007, 10:50 PM
  4. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 12-21-2006, 10:15 AM
  5. Will Pirate Island be Yesterland friendly?
    By Walt Jr. in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 12-14-2006, 09:24 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •