Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Minion

Pirate island is great

Have u ever visited pirate island via Tom Sawyer ?
    it's soo cool Cus THERE IS NO RAILING on the island. There's no safety railing on the islands, it's mostly just rocks tho. So if u get too close to the water... U might go for a swim. Ahh but I'm just surprised theirs no barrier or railing like what they did for Alice, the storybook ride, cal screaming

But I don't like the fact that its too small. I was expecting a bigger island

• formerly very helpful

Re: Pirate island is great

This isn't the most popular view on Micechat, but I actually like the island, too. I think what they did was first rate, and offers plenty of opportunity for kids to burn some energy and do some exploring. I would like to see it expanded some, such as building a new structure where the fort is, but one that is accessible by the guests.

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by sbk1234 View Post
    This isn't the most popular view on Micechat, but I actually like the island, too. I think what they did was first rate, and offers plenty of opportunity for kids to burn some energy and do some exploring. I would like to see it expanded some, such as building a new structure where the fort is, but one that is accessible by the guests.
    This would of course all be true without the ill-fitting pirates theme as well, though.

• ~

Quote Originally Posted by OliviaVonDrake View Post
    This would of course all be true without the ill-fitting pirates theme as well, though.
    Exactly: love the island. Not in love with the pirates invading it.

Oh dear someone at Disney is going to read this and see that you mentioned that theres no railings!!! Its all downhill from here on out!
    Jack Sparrow - "You have been monstrously deceived." Pirate - We are decepted then..." Jack Sparrow - "Yes"

• Minion

I love the pirate stuff. I suppose that's not a surprise given the name. I'm looking forward to having my son play there this December. Can't wait.

• Parking Lot > DCA

Quote Originally Posted by D3COY View Post
    Oh dear someone at Disney is going to read this and see that you mentioned that theres no railings!!! Its all downhill from here on out!
    Name:  darth_vader_noooo1.jpg
Views: 319
Size:  54.4 KB

• formerly very helpful

Quote Originally Posted by OliviaVonDrake View Post
    Actually, I don't think the theme is any more ill-fitting than POTC is in New Orleans Square. Much of what I'm talking about, as far as what they've done to the island, has to do specifically with the pirate-ish stuff they've added: Pirates in the caves, salvaged ship motifs, treasure, etc.
    As for the change in theme, no, I probably would not have done it, since it really all seemed very "band wagonish" to me, since it all was in reaction to the popuar movies. I liked the original theme of Tom Sawyer and the Mississippi River/wilderness. But if they were going to change it - and they did - I think they did it to a good quality.

• Closed Account

Actually, I don't think the theme is any more ill-fitting than POTC is in New Orleans Square.
    The entrance to the amusement park ride known as Pirates of the Caribbean is in New Orleans Square. Thematically, POTC begins in the bayous of New Orleans, but then transports us hundreds of miles away to the Caribbean Sea. Thematically, POTC is nowhere near NOS.

• I'm a Lutheran

Keep in mind that Tom Sawyer's Island (after Walt's time) was planned to receive a pirate hideout accessed from the New Orleans Square mainland. There has to be some kind of connection in mind. And regardless of the POTC movie character references throughout, isn't the theme supposed to be American river pirates in addition to Tom and Huck playing "pirates." With Casey Jr., Alice, and the Matterhorn already affected by safety, we can only hope that Pirate's Lair stays around a little while longer to prevent the ever-bizarre-looking guardrails. It's times like this that I wish the world wasn't so safe, lol. Well, you know what I mean.
    Theatrical Roles: Various Roles (The Laramie Project), Fred (Oklahoma!), Oberon (Shakespeare in Hollywood), Hero (A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum), Valere (The Miser), Moonface Martin (Anything Goes), Thenardier/Laborer/Army Officer/Ensemble (Les Miserables), Franz (The Sound of Music), Tobias Ragg (Sweeney Todd), Tinman (The Wiz), Elles Dad/Winthrop/Ensemble (Legally Blonde), William Barfee/Leaf's Dad/Jesus Christ (25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee), Fiddler on the Roof (Rabbi), The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (Muff Potter/Ensemble), Shrek the Musical (Lord Farquaad)

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by MANEATINGWREATH View Post
    And regardless of the POTC movie character references throughout, isn't the theme supposed to be American river pirates in addition to Tom and Huck playing "pirates."
    No.

They could tell the faithful that the "theme" is Gilligan's Island by placing a transistor radio powered by coconuts into a scene, and it would be thought of as magnificent, detailed and completely immersive theming.

• Hello Dolly.

Quote Originally Posted by D3COY View Post
    lol I thought the same thing.

TSI is better now than it has been the years before. Everything is restored & enhanced now, besides the unfortunate fort.

This attraction was made for the most part kids, at the time kids were into westerns & Tom and Huck's stories. Today, it's pirates that's popular. It doesn't bother me that they are using this theme, & overall the island is better now.

My disappoint is more that Frontierland has had more taken away. It's unfortunate I can't think of a popular overlay to attract kids to the island besides the current theme & Toy Story. Pirates overlay doesn't bother me, but I wish we had better options for the island.

But I see more gains than losses with the current island. Make many more new memories now

Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
    No.

They could tell the faithful that the "theme" is Gilligan's Island by placing a transistor radio powered by coconuts into a scene, and it would be thought of as magnificent, detailed and completely immersive theming.
    Always a positive post by you.
    Last edited by BlAcKoUt510; 11-22-2012 at 11:53 AM.

• formerly very helpful

Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
    The entrance to the amusement park ride known as Pirates of the Caribbean is in New Orleans Square. Thematically, POTC begins in the bayous of New Orleans, but then transports us hundreds of miles away to the Caribbean Sea. Thematically, POTC is nowhere near NOS.
    My point, exactly!

• Closed Account

My point, exactly!
    You're missing my point. POTC isn't "in" NOS, and therefore there's no thematic violation of either attraction. TSI is in the middle of Frontierland, so having 17th century swashbuckling Caribbean pirates on the banks of an island in the middle of a western "river" circa the mid 19th century is a thematic violation of the first order.

• keh!

Did I just read a teenager's Myspace post?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast