Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Mermaids in Louisiana - A POTC Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by MANEATINGWREATH View Post
    The mermaids could work kind of, but it'd be a bit crammed, probably not giving enough room for a mermaid projection underwater (although there's a bit of room in between the canal and shoreline). There'd be room for a mermaid skeleton and destroyed rowboat though, and there's practically no major cost in playing "Jolly Sailor Bold" over the speakers. Only time will tell what lies in store for this classic.

If they were to change things up, I'd rather see the movie things toned down a bit. Obviously they're not going to remove them anytime soon. I'd prefer to see the return of the original Blackbeard, ONLY Davy Jones on the waterfall, the ghostly monologues implemented somewhere in the grotto (Tokyo still has them before the waterfall projection), a restoration of all of the original dialog, Jack never mentioned by name but still present (kind of joining the other pirates on the treasure hunt, albeit doing it quietly in an attempt to get it all to himself), and the non-PC chase scene. Kids're watching cartoons nowadays that talk more about sex than they should know. I think a chase scene with a rather harmless monologue about "hoisting me colors on the likes of that shy, little wench" is nothing compared to what's on TV.
    what is/was this?
    Murphy,with that neck, is like E.T. in dragon form

• I'm a Lutheran

Good point. Florida's grotto sequence starts pretty much right off the bat and has always been kind of a quick and creepy atmosphere perfect for bloodthirsty creatures of the deep. Disneyland throws you down a waterfall and up close and personal with the skeletons. There really is no room for mermaids that'd be structurally safe (you'd have to move some of the rocks) or well-fit. It'd be awkward to see a tiny mermaid swimming off to the side.

Mondo, the ghostly monologues were two speeches by unseen pirates located where Davey Jones and Blackbeard are now, as narrated by veteran voice actors Paul Frees and J. Pat O'Malley respectively, Paul Frees in which also voiced "Dead men tell no tales," the original Blackbeard, Carlos the Mayor, the Auctioneer, the original Pooped Pirate, the narrator of Adventure Thru Inner Space, and the Haunted Mansion's own Ghost Host. You can hear the monologues in this vintage footage at 1:26 until 2:15.

Despite having the Davey Jones waterfall, Tokyo Disneyland still features the monologues (in Japanese of course), albeit played in the Treasure Room, not the dark tunnel.
    Theatrical Roles: Various Roles (The Laramie Project), Fred (Oklahoma!), Oberon (Shakespeare in Hollywood), Hero (A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum), Valere (The Miser), Moonface Martin (Anything Goes), Thenardier/Laborer/Army Officer/Ensemble (Les Miserables), Franz (The Sound of Music), Tobias Ragg (Sweeney Todd), Tinman (The Wiz), Elles Dad/Winthrop/Ensemble (Legally Blonde), William Barfee/Leaf's Dad/Jesus Christ (25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee), Fiddler on the Roof (Rabbi), The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (Muff Potter/Ensemble), Shrek the Musical (Lord Farquaad)

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by Meville View Post
    Mermaids are part of pirate lore...
    Where ever did you get this idea?

• Sorcerer Supreme Bean

You're not really in Louisiana anymore though once you go down the hill...

That hill that DL has is a bigger immersion factor than just floating into the cove of WDW, makes the transition easier.

The mermaids dont seem like that big of a deal to me honestly
    There is no right or wrong in this debate. It is simply a matter of perspective.
    -Dr. Strange

• I'm a Lutheran

Quote Originally Posted by Wren View Post
    You're not really in Louisiana anymore though once you go down the hill...
    I was just referring to the attraction's placement in New Orleans Square. :P
    Theatrical Roles: Various Roles (The Laramie Project), Fred (Oklahoma!), Oberon (Shakespeare in Hollywood), Hero (A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum), Valere (The Miser), Moonface Martin (Anything Goes), Thenardier/Laborer/Army Officer/Ensemble (Les Miserables), Franz (The Sound of Music), Tobias Ragg (Sweeney Todd), Tinman (The Wiz), Elles Dad/Winthrop/Ensemble (Legally Blonde), William Barfee/Leaf's Dad/Jesus Christ (25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee), Fiddler on the Roof (Rabbi), The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (Muff Potter/Ensemble), Shrek the Musical (Lord Farquaad)

• Closed Account

The mermaids dont seem like that big of a deal to me honestly
    POTC used to have an air or realism--or hyper-realsim, as the Imagineers might say. Now we've got all these supernatural fanatasy elements like Davy Jones and mermaid skeletons. Again, a notch down in immersive theming.

• I'm a Lutheran

In all fairness, I would consider the skeletons in the grottoes to be a bit supernatural, you can hear their voices every now and then, and are given the implication of the reason they're all dead being from the evil powers of a cursed treasure. But you do have a point, Davey Jones and mermaids are far more paranormal, fantasy-based than some motionless skeletons with disembodied voices.

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

I just wished during events....they turned off the "new" effects and redid the audio to the original...so at least once a year I could ride the ride that Walt made

• Sorcerer Supreme Bean

Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
    POTC used to have an air or realism--or hyper-realsim, as the Imagineers might say. Now we've got all these supernatural fanatasy elements like Davy Jones and mermaid skeletons. Again, a notch down in immersive theming.
    Perhaps, though it was always a farcical journey into a romanticized version of pirates, not nearly as violent dirty smelly or harsh as the real thing. But I get what you're saying. It always had that hint of something more, supernatural just from the cave in the beginning

Quote Originally Posted by JerrodDRagon View Post
    I just wished during events....they turned off the "new" effects and redid the audio to the original...so at least once a year I could ride the ride that Walt made
    So an anti-Haunted Mansion Holiday overlay? Sad we have to discuss an overlay to make a ride its original version temporarily.

Though I think we may be past that PC that marred the ride the first time
    There is no right or wrong in this debate. It is simply a matter of perspective.
    -Dr. Strange

• Member of Baxter's Army

Perhaps, though it was always a farcical journey into a romanticized version of pirates, not nearly as violent dirty smelly or harsh as the real thing. But I get what you're saying. It always had that hint of something more, supernatural just from the cave in the beginning
    There is a thing that Walt called "The Plausible Impossible". The original Pirates of the Caribbean was in no way an accurate depiction of how real pirates acted (Far from it, actually) but it was believable. With the new "Search for Jack Sparrow" subplot the concept of the town trying to hide Captain Jack so he can steal THEIR treasure to the extent that the mayor would rather drown than reveals Sparrows whereabouts is just completely absurd. There are limits to what your suspension of disbelief can go and it does not seem as though today's WDI knows where the boundaries are.

• I'm a Lutheran

Quote Originally Posted by HMF View Post
    There is a thing that Walt called "The Plausible Impossible". The original Pirates of the Caribbean was in no way an accurate depiction of how real pirates acted (Far from it, actually) but it was believable. With the new "Search for Jack Sparrow" subplot the concept of the town trying to hide Captain Jack so he can steal THEIR treasure to the extent that the mayor would rather drown than reveals Sparrows whereabouts is just completely absurd. There are limits to what your suspension of disbelief can go and it does not seem as though today's WDI knows where the boundaries are.
    In my original perception, the citizens of the town either don't know of Jack's whereabouts, are just in the wrong place at the wrong time, or are indeed super crazy and willing to die for him. It doesn't make much sense, especially now that you mention it, HMF. It sure seems as if the Mayor's wife is overprotective and crazy for Jack.

• Member of Baxter's Army

Quote Originally Posted by MANEATINGWREATH View Post
    In my original perception, the citizens of the town either don't know of Jack's whereabouts, are just in the wrong place at the wrong time, or are indeed super crazy and willing to die for him. It doesn't make much sense, especially now that you mention it, HMF. It sure seems as if the Mayor's wife is overprotective and crazy for Jack.
    The only people who can make any sense out of it either work for WDI or are 9/11 truthers and think the moon landing was faked on a soundstage.

I would mind but I would mind it a lot less then the movie tie ins that already take place. If only they gave us a dollar every time Jack Sparrow's name is mentioned....

• I'm a Lutheran

"Surrender Jack Sparrow!"
    "Where be Jack Sparrow?"
    "That scoundrel Captain Jack Sparrow!"
    "What I wouldn't give to see the look on Captain Jack Sparrow's face!"

You'd have about five dollars most likely. There are definitely more mentions of him than those that I posted. Don't forget the painting of him in the queue and his three appearances. And in the Florida and Tokyo versions he says "Hijack" to a parrot which responds with "Hi, Jack!"

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by HMF View Post
    THANK YOU.

I don't mind a LITTLE bit of a nod to the films in the attraction (preferably as an occasional overlay when a POTC film is in theaters), but good gravy, altering the attraction's storyline and dialogue to fit the films? No way.

The only movie addition to the attraction that I'd be okay with if it was kept permanently would be Jack-in-the-barrel, because it's just a visual gag. Leave that, remove all other references to Jack Sparrow and anything else from the films, and restore the original attraction storyline and dialogue, including the women-chasing pirates. That should be the standard.

Mermaids? Nah. Didn't need 'em before. Don't need 'em now. Just leave the darned attraction ALONE.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast