Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• I'm a Lutheran

Question Mermaids in Louisiana - A POTC Discussion

By this point, everyone is aware of the addition of bloodthirsty mermaids to Florida's famously downsized Pirates of the Caribbean attraction. In case you aren't aware, Florida's Haunted Grotto sequence only features three scenes found in its Disneyland superior: Blackbeard, Dead Man's Cove, the small beach littered with skeletons, and then Hurricane Lagoon, the iconic galleon being bashed by a storm and steered by a skeleton. That's it. A talking Jolly Roger and the infamous ghost monologues used to be present before and after the only drop, but have since vanished.

With the billion dollar box office receipts for Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides, mermaids, unique to the fourth film have made a home in Dead Man's Cove, creating an entirely new storyline for the grotto. Rather than suggesting a treasure hunt gone awry, it now seems to imply that these pirates and their mermaid prisoner (perhaps they were searching for the Fountain of Youth?) were killed in some kind of ambush, judging by the cutlasses and weaponry jabbed into their bones, a sight remaining from the original attraction. Despite this, a living mermaid lurks beneath the surface and continues to sing, also implying that these travelers may have been killed by mermaids. Who knows what the new storyline is...nonetheless the new effect is pretty cool and was very well done. This brings us to this thread's topic...

How would you feel if mermaids were added to Disneyland's Dead Man's Cove? Keep in mind that not only is Dead Man's Cove a bit bigger here, but is also the original, and one of the only scenes untouched in the 2006 refurbishment, aside from the addition of an eerie instrumental of "Yo Ho." Would you like to hear "Jolly Sailor Bold" and pay witness to a lurking mermaid and the rotten corpse of a poor mermaid? Or would you rather see the beach untouched and original. Discuss...NOW!
    Theatrical Roles: Various Roles (The Laramie Project), Fred (Oklahoma!), Oberon (Shakespeare in Hollywood), Hero (A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum), Valere (The Miser), Moonface Martin (Anything Goes), Thenardier/Laborer/Army Officer/Ensemble (Les Miserables), Franz (The Sound of Music), Tobias Ragg (Sweeney Todd), Tinman (The Wiz), Elles Dad/Winthrop/Ensemble (Legally Blonde), William Barfee/Leaf's Dad/Jesus Christ (25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee), Fiddler on the Roof (Rabbi), The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (Muff Potter/Ensemble), Shrek the Musical (Lord Farquaad)

• " Planet of Puddingheads"

Re: Mermaids in Louisiana - A POTC Discussion

“No worries, stay calm, one question. 
Do you happen to know how to fly this thing?”

• I'm a Lutheran

Thanks for pointing those out...I always come in behind the times haha. Well, we can always change the discussion topic of this thread.

How do you feel about movie changes to the ride? Obviously this has been a topic of great debate ever since 2006. Instead let's talk of what you would feel if other movie additions were made, including mermaids. How'd you feel if Will Turner of Elizabeth magically showed up overnight? Stuff like that. Personally I'd prefer the original to return with the movie characters less prominent (in addition to the storyline reverting back to a treasure hunt, Jack Sparrow is no longer hunted by the pirates. He now takes part quietly in the hunt and beats everyone else to getting the treasure).
    Theatrical Roles: Various Roles (The Laramie Project), Fred (Oklahoma!), Oberon (Shakespeare in Hollywood), Hero (A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum), Valere (The Miser), Moonface Martin (Anything Goes), Thenardier/Laborer/Army Officer/Ensemble (Les Miserables), Franz (The Sound of Music), Tobias Ragg (Sweeney Todd), Tinman (The Wiz), Elles Dad/Winthrop/Ensemble (Legally Blonde), William Barfee/Leaf's Dad/Jesus Christ (25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee), Fiddler on the Roof (Rabbi), The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (Muff Potter/Ensemble), Shrek the Musical (Lord Farquaad)

• Foolish Mortal

I say just leave it how it is. I really don't like how all the pirates obsess over Jack Sparrow in the ride. I'm just don't like the movie tie-in at all. You don't see them doing that to the Haunted Mansion.

"So make the best of this test and don't ask why. It's not a question but a lesson learned in time."- Green Day
    "The harder you work, the luckier you get."- Billie Joe Armstrong
    "This is my rage. This is my love. This is my town. This is my city. This is my life."

• I'm not really here

Quote Originally Posted by Slappypunk View Post
    You don't see them doing that to the Haunted Mansion.
    Patience.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• I'm from Canada eh!

I'm fine with it. Mermaids are part of pirate lore, so it fits nicly with the theme.

• -

They actually need to take out the movie stuff that's there.

Quote Originally Posted by Slappypunk View Post
    You don't see them doing that to the Haunted Mansion.
    Eddie is coming...
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• formerly very helpful

While I don't have really strong feelings about the movie stuff being added, I'd smile more than a little if they were removed, and the ride was restored to its former (pre-food-chasing pirates) glory.

As for mermaids, I've always been partial to this bit of folklore, so there's a big part of me that would love to see mermaids in Disneyland (other than the lovely Ariel), but I really don't think it can happen in California. At least not in the grotto without a LOT of expensive remodelling. The boats travel VERY close to the sides, so there really isn't room to put in those underwater lighting effects to represent the mermaid. I look foreward to seeing the mermaids in Florida, but I don't think it would be practical to put them in here in California.

• I'm a Lutheran

The mermaids could work kind of, but it'd be a bit crammed, probably not giving enough room for a mermaid projection underwater (although there's a bit of room in between the canal and shoreline). There'd be room for a mermaid skeleton and destroyed rowboat though, and there's practically no major cost in playing "Jolly Sailor Bold" over the speakers. Only time will tell what lies in store for this classic.

If they were to change things up, I'd rather see the movie things toned down a bit. Obviously they're not going to remove them anytime soon. I'd prefer to see the return of the original Blackbeard, ONLY Davy Jones on the waterfall, the ghostly monologues implemented somewhere in the grotto (Tokyo still has them before the waterfall projection), a restoration of all of the original dialog, Jack never mentioned by name but still present (kind of joining the other pirates on the treasure hunt, albeit doing it quietly in an attempt to get it all to himself), and the non-PC chase scene. Kids're watching cartoons nowadays that talk more about sex than they should know. I think a chase scene with a rather harmless monologue about "hoisting me colors on the likes of that shy, little wench" is nothing compared to what's on TV.

• " Planet of Puddingheads"

Quote Originally Posted by MANEATINGWREATH View Post
    The mermaids could work kind of, but it'd be a bit crammed, probably not giving enough room for a mermaid projection underwater (although there's a bit of room in between the canal and shoreline). There'd be room for a mermaid skeleton and destroyed rowboat though, and there's practically no major cost in playing "Jolly Sailor Bold" over the speakers. Only time will tell what lies in store for this classic.

If they were to change things up, I'd rather see the movie things toned down a bit. Obviously they're not going to remove them anytime soon. I'd prefer to see the return of the original Blackbeard, ONLY Davy Jones on the waterfall, the ghostly monologues implemented somewhere in the grotto (Tokyo still has them before the waterfall projection), a restoration of all of the original dialog, Jack never mentioned by name but still present (kind of joining the other pirates on the treasure hunt, albeit doing it quietly in an attempt to get it all to himself), and the non-PC chase scene. Kids're watching cartoons nowadays that talk more about sex than they should know. I think a chase scene with a rather harmless monologue about "hoisting me colors on the likes of that shy, little wench" is nothing compared to what's on TV.
    Yep, the stuff on TV is WAY more suggestive and crude than the pre-PC Pirates.
    “No worries, stay calm, one question. 
Do you happen to know how to fly this thing?”

I wouldn't mind. The mermaids at MK seem to be more about the old pirate legends and less about screaming "Hey!!! This is from the movie!!". The erie song, the skeleton...It really looks like death is in the atmosphere. It looks great. But like sbk said our boats travel close to the rocks. Maybe if they remove the waterfall scene and expand the cave.
    In the quest for quality, I have no problem with the characters footing the bill.

• Member of Baxter's Army

It works with WDW's ride narrative but would be out of place in the DL Attraction.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft16 View Post
    Patience.
    Here is the real question which I think you might be hinting at, If the new up coming Del Torro Haunted Mansion movie does in fact center around the Hatbox Ghost and that leads to the addition of HBG into the attic of the HM are the fans still going to be upset because its a movie tie in or will they rejoice in tbe addition of a character they have all been "dying" for.
    BGood! It's not just my motto its my name!

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by mickdaddy View Post
    Here is the real question which I think you might be hinting at, If the new up coming Del Torro Haunted Mansion movie does in fact center around the Hatbox Ghost and that leads to the addition of HBG into the attic of the HM are the fans still going to be upset because its a movie tie in or will they rejoice in tbe addition of a character they have all been "dying" for.
    It depends. If the addition is crappy and intrudes greatly on the feeling of the attraction, then fans will obviously be pissed. If the addition is very detailed and cool looking and not forced, then I'm not complaining.

• Heavy Breather

Am I the only one here who finds the mermaid skeleton in Florida a tad on the goofy side?

What is thy bidding, my Mouseter?

Check out my tumblr: http://dvader2015.tumblr.com/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast