Thread: Curtis School?

• Padawan

L.A.-- But I'd rather be on Brokeback Mountain

Curtis School?

This might not be a DLR topic per se, but it is a local So.Ca. Disney question so this seemed like the most appropriate forum...

My nephew's school was playing a school called the Curtis School in a basketball game and I went by to pick him up this evening. I was intrigued because the driveway to the school is a street called "Walt Disney Drive" and there are a couple of Mickey Mouse topiaries on the campus near the entrance.

Has anyone heard of the Curtis School, and is there a connection is to the Disney Family? It's a private middle/high school in West L.A. up on Mulholland Drive just west of the 405 fwy. It is a very nice school on a beautiful piece of land in the hills and by the parade of expensive cars I saw lined up to pick up students, I bet tuition is pretty steep.

Maybe the Disney Family has supported the school monetarily or there might be a more personal connection, like maybe they helped found it or maybe their kids went there? I just had never heard of it before.
    --Jonathan

• Rock Star Minion

Re: Curtis School?

Do you have access to the internet? If so, then you should open this web page:
    www.curtisschool.org/academics/index.asp

$16,800 per year for K-6. It's one of various private schools in the area for rich folks wanting to keep their kids out of LA City Schools.

According to the school, its address is on Mulholland Drive, and Yahoo! Maps, puts the school a bit of a ways away from that street. It is Yahoo! Maps, though.

Disney once lived in Holmby Hills area, which is North of Westwood.

No idea why this street is called "Walt Disney Drive," nor who maintains the topiaries.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

$16,000 dollars a year and they can't even get the grammer right on their web site.

Curtis teaches are devoted to developing the potential of every child, and we take great pride in the quality and commitment of our faculty and academic staff.

Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff
    $16,000 dollars a year and they can't even get the grammer right on their web site.

Curtis teaches are devoted to developing the potential of every child, and we take great pride in the quality and commitment of our faculty and academic staff.

"Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Padawan

L.A.-- But I'd rather be on Brokeback Mountain

Quote Originally Posted by sediment
    Do you have access to the internet?
    Uh, yeah so thanks for info I already have, I was curious about the Disney connection (if there is one).
    No idea why this street is called "Walt Disney Drive," nor who maintains the topiaries.
    Oh, well thanks anyway for your informative post!
    --Jonathan

• Minion FOREVER!

Just googled it.... there is a Mark E. Rlthermel who is an acoustic engineer/architect who's done a lot of work for Disney that did work for the Curtis School. That's it.

But since the school moved there only in 1983, it has to be a recent "connection".
    (from school's website under History)