TR: 10/29-10/30. Halloween Haunt, Club 33, Dream Suite, 1901.

A little late, but not terribly. My dog ate the original report.

So way back in August my gf started planning a surprise trip to the resort for halloween. All I was told is 'take the last week of Oct off!' No real clue was given, until late sept, when I randomly got a correspondence.

What did it say? I was asked if I would like to visit club 33 on my next visit! OF COURSE I DO!

So I turned to my gf, and mentioned that I just got an email/private message saying that the next time we went to Disneyland, we have been offered an invitation to go to club 33!

She said 'Tell them Oct 30th.'

Me, in my normal (IE....oblivious state) responded with 'We can't go to Disneyland on the 30th, we are going on vacation! (Insert facepalm here.)

So I was told about the surprise trip. Disneyland, Mickey's haunt, the newly added club 33 trip, and another surprise.

Our host was gracious enough to get us free validated parking for the 29th. (Which was AWESOME.) We ventured into Downtown Disney in our costumes. We arrived a little early so we could see some of the new stuff since our last trip in Feb.

Lego store:

We ventured over to Trader Sam's for a drink. We have both fallen in love with this place. The drinks, the food and the atmosphere really are second to none when it comes to a Tiki Bar.

A delicious drink served in my new favorite tiki mug:

Even Nibbler enjoyed it!

So after a drink and a quick bite, it was off to Disneyland! We got quite a few compliments on our costumes, and I was constantly told that 'I had been found!' Lots of kids were excited that they found Waldo at Disneyland!

What is this?!?!?! Waldo found Waldo!

Our first ride we headed towards was Ghost Galaxy. Neither of us had been on it before, and we have heard that the lines get rather long. The line was at 60mins when we arrived, but the girl working the line LOVED the Leela costume, and gave us complimentary fastpasses! Score!

Overall I liked Ghost Galaxy. Not terribly frightening, but the 'chase' was pretty cool!

We did not take too many pictures that night. It was quite a bit of fun to run into people in very well done costumes, having kids 'find' waldo, and enjoy the atmosphere.

The candy spot inside the Horseshoe:

The candy was my only complaint about the trip. Now I understand that it is done for the kids, and I totally get that. But after the first 3 visits, I had exactly 3 pieces of candy in my bag. It was kind of a bummer to see some people getting big handfuls in their bag, and then watch the same person pick out 1 piece and drop it in my bag. (Total haul for the entire evening: 20 pieces. About half were tootsie rolls. Now my gf's bag was almost half full. The difference was crazy!)

We rode the HMH a few times. My gf has never ridden it prior to this trip. She knows that I prefer the original over the HMH, but I will still ride this one. Overall she enjoyed it, but agreed that the original is superior

We managed to get a good viewing area for the fireworks, which were AWESOME. I was surprised there was nothing tied in with the Haunted Mansion, but as it is technically not operating, I can see why it was left out.

We also were able to catch the parade. (Meh. Nothing spectacular. We were surprised how repetitive the music was, and we were both surprised about the 'I want to be a pirate/princess' line)

One of the last things we rode was the Matterhorn. Our first time with the new seats. OUCH. Not much room (unless you are in the front seat of the sled) and the seats need padding. Bad. I don't think I can ride it much beyond once a trip.

next up.....Day 2, and CLUB 33!

---------- Post added 11-23-2012 at 08:59 PM ----------

So Tues was the day. I had a hard time sleeping the night before (not due to a crappy bed either. It felt like when I was a kid the night before leaving for Disneyland.

We woke up early, and again our host had gotten us free valet parking at the Grand Californian. (I really LOVE this feature.) We met up with our host and a couple of his friends inside the lobby. We headed to Disneyland to enjoy the magic morning entry. Got to ride Space Mountain again, and then headed to Star Tours. Star Tours made me a little Woozy (never had that happen before!), and got a quick ride on Buzz Lightyear. We then had to part ways, so we could go back to the hotel and change.

I had mentioned in a post on micechat somewhere that if I EVER had the chance to go to Club 33, I would dress up. So we did!

In front of the Club:

Me doing my 'aliens' meme impersonation:

I was given the honor of informing the club that we had arrived:

The view when we entered:

Now I have seen plenty of pictures of the entry foyer with the elevator, so I knew what I was going to see visually. But the experience is really quite different. I took a very deep breath when everyone was inside. The feeling was almost overwhelming!

We took a pic in front of the elevator:

Then one inside:

I was surprised at how small the elevator really was! I thought it would be a little bigger, but three people is about the limit!

The view towards the main dining room. The bar is on the right, and the harpsichord is on the left:

Empty plate shot!:

Menu shot!:

We placed our order, and our host informed us how the buffet works. Time to eat!

Cookie shot!:

While enjoying our buffet trip (yes, I had dessert before the main course. I do what I want! ) Our host gave some background info on the club, and we all exchanged personal stories about life, trips to Disney, etc....Our host and I also exchanged random facts about Walt and the history of the park. (as Disneyland nerds often do!)

My GF had the Salmon:

She said it was perfect! I am not a seafood fan (hate the smell of it cooking/cooked, but LOVE sushi. Go figure!)

I had the lamb:

I am a pretty decent cook, and one of the things that has happened to me because of this is I often judge meals that I eat out based upon if I could make the same at home. For the 1st time in a LONG time, I had a meal that I know I could not replicate at home. No way. The lamb was perfect. Tender, lots of flavor, and cooked perfectly!

More desserts. Because they were all awesome:

After lunch we meandered around the club, with our host showing us some of the details that are known (such as the vulture and the hidden mics) and the not so known (such as the hidden Gilligan's island)

Trophy room:

Picture of Shirley Temple with Walt:

Random fact: My grandfather used to babysit Shirley Temple. He grew up in Southern Ca before leaving for WW2.

Random club photos:

Balcony Shots! It was really really nice to be able to go out on the balcony and see NOS from an entirely new viewpoint. It would be a very nice experience to be able to sit out there on a warm summer night and just people watch.

The infamous Wicker throne!

(This has to be one of the most photographed toilets in the country. Right behind Elvis' and just before the men's rooms at the Madonna inn.)

Overall......it blew my expectations away, and they were set HIGH. The food was great, the service was second to none, and the new friends I made was just the icing on a cake. I am still extremely grateful to our host for allowing us the rare opportunity to enjoy the club!

To end the club 33 section:

Coming next:

Dream suite and 1901! (This may not be until tomorrow. I have just moved into a house and days have been long!)

Another shot of me in the lounge area:

• Minion

Re: TR: 10/29-10/30. Halloween Haunt, Club 33, Dream Suite, 1901.

Looks great!
    If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

I love that drink mug!!!!

Awesome pictures! I look forward to seeing more of your adventures!

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

• Annual Passholder

Great pics, kudos to the two of you for dressing up!

• Selfie Expert

1. I LOVE what you guys wore to Club 33. I want your girlfriend's dress. So cute!!
    2. Thank you for sharing these photos. I have never seen a lot of the things that you have shown from Club 33. Would you mind sharing more about the "vulture" and hidden Gilligan's Island? I have done a lot of research on Club 33, but apparently I've missed a lot!!
    3. Great costumes!!
    4. My husband got that same zombie drink from Trader Sams while we were there... kind of funny how much our paths crossed during this trip and never realized it!
    Last edited by KellyMcG86; 11-24-2012 at 04:50 AM. Reason: Addition

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

• Sultan of Swing

I have a Question what do you mean by "our host informed us how the buffet works"? Cool Pics I am so envious about you going to Club 33,1901, and Dream Suite.
    Always read the fine print.

Quote Originally Posted by KellyMcG86 View Post
    1. I LOVE what you guys wore to Club 33. I want your girlfriend's dress. So cute!!
    2. Thank you for sharing these photos. I have never seen a lot of the things that you have shown from Club 33. Would you mind sharing more about the "vulture" and hidden Gilligan's Island? I have done a lot of research on Club 33, but apparently I've missed a lot!!
    3. Great costumes!!
    4. My husband got that same zombie drink from Trader Sams while we were there... kind of funny how much our paths crossed during this trip and never realized it!
    1. Thank you! She got a lot of compliments on it, including Cast Members. Whomever was playing Mary Poppins below complimented her on it a few times!

2. The Vulture is in the Trophy room, and originally was to be an AA that the restaurant could talk to diners through. They would listen via microphones hidden in the chandeliers. On the POTC map in the picture in my post, the imagineers drew in a VERY small Gilligan's Islands, and labeled it as such.

3. Thank you! I wanted to go as Zoidberg, but I couldnt get the claws to look right or work well. My hair was too short to try Fry.

4. I am a Tiki fan, and have been collecting Mugs for a bit. I already have a Trader Sam's mug, but did not have a Zombie head mug. The drink was excellent!

(I am having issues doing a mult-quote)

Our host just mentioned that the buffet had its own plates, so no need to bring one from the table, it was all you can eat, and it is totally OK to have dessert before the main course

---------- Post added 11-24-2012 at 08:40 PM ----------

Dream Suite!

We were also lucky enough to get a tour of the dream suite, which is something I had been looking forward to. I was surprised how much I could still identify from the Gallery days, but also how much they changed!

A lot of the rooms had extra 'Magic' that could happen at the touch of a button. However, the guide wished that while we could take pictures, we DID NOT post them online on message boards or personal social pages. Needless to say I will not be posting them here, but they were awesome!

Entering using the elevator. It was very tight in that elevator! The 12 of us fit, but it was a tight squeeze.

The master bedroom: It had an adventureland theme to it. Very nice and quiet. It was hard to believe you are in the middle of Disneyland in that room!

The bathroom and powder room. The tub is AWESOME.

The main room of the suite. Back in the days of the Disney Gallery, this would have been the main entrance. The guide mentioned they do not take guests staying in the suite or tours up the main staircase to keep others from wandering up there.

The final room has a frontierland theme to it, and will probably appeal to almost every 5-10 year old kid on the planet

Some shots of the balcony:

Finally, some shots from the entrance and other misc areas of the dream suite:

---------- Post added 11-24-2012 at 09:02 PM ----------

Finally, the last part of the trip was going to the 1901 lounge. We decided to switch back into street clothes, as my GF was in heels, and we were both worried about ruining our clothes.

Now I had NO idea exactly what to expect. It felt like an extremely nice VIP lounge. We were at one point the only people in there besides the bartender. Much like the Dream Suite, it did not feel like we were in the middle of a busy theme park, although we could see people through a window.

Myself in the MOST comfortable chair I have set in. Ever. I want one badly!

Now I do enjoy my cocktails, and a Manhattan is one of my favorites. My parents both make incredibly good Manhattans, and I have yet to find a bar that can make one to match.

BUT...the bartender at 1901 could make a GREAT Manhattan, and for the first time found one that surpassed my parents.

He also made a FANTASTIC Bloody Mary, the second best I have ever had, and the best out of bars that are currently open. (If you ever spent time in the Santa Rosa/Cotati/Rohnert Park area of N. Ca, there used to be a bar there called Red's Recovery room. They made the BEST Bloody Marys. But the bar is now closed)

The book used for the German release of Snow White is on display:

(I left out pictures of the bartender preparing drinks. I am not sure on the board's policy on pictures of non-face character employees)

Finally....GF with Mary Poppins:

We had a GREAT time! It was the most relaxing trip I have ever had to Disney, and we were lucky enough to meet some great new friends. Club 33 and 1901 blew my expectations away, from the service to the food. (At 1901, by the time we had sat down, the bartender already had our host's favorite drink ready and waiting for him. All the people working there knew him by his first and last name, and what he preferred to be addressed by.)

A BIG thank you to our host, and even moreso to my GF, who without her planning, the trip never would have happened.
    Last edited by PinBrian; 11-24-2012 at 08:41 PM.

Great TR!

Thanks for sharing, looks like it was an awesome time!

Very cool,enjoyed the report and pic's well done and I for one am jealous !

• DL Photo Fanatic

What a great trip report! Very detailed and I absolutely loved all the photos! Those were rare opportunities, indeed! And to do them all on the same trip! I would've been on excitement overload! LOL

Lovely play by play! At first I thought you'd be in costume at C33. Will you ever be able to enjoy the part like us peasants again after that extraordinary experience?

Great trip report!

Quote Originally Posted by PinBrian View Post
    ...A BIG thank you to our host...
    I'm sure your host will enjoy your trip report, which shows how much you appreciate the special experiences.

I was lucky enough to have a similar day (C33, Dream Suite, 1901), although some of the guests in our group did not realize how difficult it is to access these places.

Quote Originally Posted by SparklingMare View Post
    Lovely play by play! At first I thought you'd be in costume at C33. Will you ever be able to enjoy the part like us peasants again after that extraordinary experience?
    I am sure I will! I LOVE going to the resort when I get the chance. This was a once in a lifetime trip, and I will savior the memories for a long long time to come!

Nice report. Looks like you guys had a great time!!!!