Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Is the Disneyland hotel worth the price?

Quote Originally Posted by mine,mine,mine View Post
    the one thing I really noticed about your post remainseatedplz86 is your comment about always being a dream of yours to stay. If you don't stay there then it will always just be a dream of yours. If it is a dream of yours or on your "bucket list" Then stay there otherwise you will always regret not staying there.
    The honest answer is that no, as a hotel, the Disneyland Hotel in no way justifies its price. But the above poster is right - you'll always wonder until you do it. Maybe you could take 1 or 2 nights out of a multi-night trip at the DL hotel to satisfy your curiosity.

I have in the past and now I only do it if my traveling companions insist. It's not worth it to me in the least.
    "Mr. Toad is still doing the Wild Thing in SoCal" -Fake Robert Christgau, http://christgaudoesdisney.tumblr.com/

• I'm a fiddle player......

Ive been able to stay at all 3 hotels but never for multiple nights because of the price being so high even with an AP discount. Even with the price, we love staying there. The early entry is the biggest perk for me. Being able to get on some of the rides with the longest lines (Peter Pan, Space Mt, RSR) with little to no wait is huge. And the rooms are very nice after the remodel, Trader Sams is a great place to get a drink after the parks, and the last time we stayed there we were in the pool for 5 hours. So I think if you go on your trip with the mindset of it not all being about the parks and of using the hotel and all its amenities it will be well worth it! And a dream come true

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

One way to do it is see if you can get a discounted rate either for the first couple of days of your vacation, or the last couple - the DLR Hotels sometimes have odd periods when the Discounts happen and when they don't... Let that determine when you stay there for a few nights, and you can shift to one of the MiceChat partner hotels like the Anabella or the HoJo for the rest of your stay.

(Or if you have relatives in town, go crash on their couch for a night or two. That's a short enough period so you don't wear out your welcome - or wrench your back on a lumpy couch. You could even bring a tent or a little camping trailer and stay in one of the nearby campgrounds for the rest of the stay.)

But yes, if the compulsion to stay there at least once rises to the level of a "Bucket List" item, call the DLHotels reservations line now - or your Travel Agent - and see how far ahead you need to book your room to get a good rate, and then go.

If it's an Annual Passholders' special rate they will need to see the pass when you check into the hotel - but you can buy an Annual Pass Voucher by internet phone or mail, and have the Voucher to show them if you haven't gone into the Park and activated it yet. They understand how it works - they might want you to swing back by the front desk when you come back for the night after you get it activated and show them.

The Annual Passes are a great deal if you'll be spending several days at the parks now, and can make plans to get back again for a few days once or twice in the next year. Even the Premium AP break-even point vs. Multi-Day tickets is like 6 to 7 days in a year, depending on how you figure in the Parking Passes and Discounts. And if the AP gets you a better room rate that's even more better. (SIC)

Even when Anaheim gets wet and drippy for a few days at a stretch in our rainy season (January - February - March) it's still nice out far more often than it isn't, which is precisely why all the Movie Studios set up shop here. At worst, it's cold or breezy or overcast, but still nice out. And/or it'll be bitter cold fist thing in the morning, warm up and get nice during mid-day, then get chilly again after dark...

Take a flyer on a Winter vacation trip, and bring lots of layers of warm stuff you can peel or put on as needed, and all your own good rain gear on the off chance you get dripped on.

--<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

• MargyDisneylandLover

I am going to do it!!! and Bruce I can handle a little drizzle I am from Seattle lol . Also I have been in February before and just two weeks ago I think I should manage May alright
    My Name Is Margy and I am a mint julepaholic.
    Disneyland freak since my first trip when I turned 6 months old...september 1987!!
    "I do not like to repeat successes, I like to go on to other things."
    ~* Uncle Walt *~
    2014 gumball rally team: Skyway sweethearts

​Proud premium Annual Passholder since May 2nd, 2014

• Minion

I only live a couple cities over and have wanted to stay at the Disneyland Hotel for decades! Really, I should pick the cheapest night and, like Nike, "just do it." When are the cheapest nights?

• Minion

I'd say yes to the personal worth of staying in the Disneyland Hotel, plus if you can, also in the Grand Californian Hotel and the Paradise Pier Hotel.
    That said, the overwhelming overprice gouging Disney demands one to stay in their hotels is greed on ubersteroids. You would better go anyways before Disney decides to charge even higher gouging prices.

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by bigcatrik View Post
    I only live a couple cities over and have wanted to stay at the Disneyland Hotel for decades! Really, I should pick the cheapest night and, like Nike, "just do it." When are the cheapest nights?
    Usually the cheapest times are in slow weeks, midweek. Often they have sales during those time too.

The best rates for anytime is:
    1. Have a Senior go with you and get the Senior rate.
    2. Book a convention rate if you are in a group going to a convention at the DLH or Anaheim Convention Center, or if you are part of a group going to an event like Gay Days.
    3. Join the military to get the military rates.

• Very Helpful Old Feller

Well, reckon my heart's in Texas but right now I live down N'Olins way...

Howdy Pards,

Well, I reckon stayin' at the Disneyland Hotel has always been a dream of mine too...but, the truth of it is, I ain't never gonna be rich enough to do it. Does that mean that you shouldn't do it? Nope. If that is truly your dream...my gosh...save up and go for it!

I'm still savin' up to someday have enough to buy a Mickey Mouse Christmas Cookie in the park...that's one of my dreams.

Disney knows the importance of dreams, and hopes, and wishes...and current Disney corporate management is doing their very best to milk every last dollar off from them.

What price do you put on wonder, enchantment, joy? Everyone WANTS to be happy...everyone.

It is a shame really, that today's Disney visitor needs to be smart enough to do battle with Disney's corporate greed. There was a time when that simply wasn't true...

We all wish that we had enough money to do and have everything we could possibly dream. But, life, for most of us, simply doesn't work that way.

It's toughest on the kids...I suppose. They generally do not understand the concept of
    "costs too much".

But, life is short. If you have gathered all the facts, weighed all the positives and the negatives, can afford it, and really, really want to do it...then, by all means go for it...stay in the magic of the Disneyland Hotel. And congratulations on making your dream come true.

As I say...I'm still working on that small Mickey Mouse Christmas Cookie dream of mine.

It is important to have hope, wishes, and dreams. To search for happiness. Today's Disney corporation knows that...and charges folks dearly for it. Walt Disney, on the other hand, used to do everything he could to help make those dreams come true. You see, Walt put people first...not money...and it showed...

If you do decide to go however, let go of the idea that you spent way too much and simply savor every last bit of the magic you can. Keep a smile in your heart...and be determined to feel good about making your dream come true. Remember, credit card bills are generally delayed one month or so anyways...

Have fun...

Adios for now. Talk to ya on down the trail.

Wild Ol' Dan
    "I can see the cattle grazin' o'er the hills at early morn…
    I can see the campfires smokin’ at the breaking of the dawn,
    I can hear the bronco's neighin', I can hear the cowboys sing,
    I'd like to be in Texas for the Round-up in the Spring."

• Sshhh, being very quiet

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Ol' Dan View Post
    Howdy Pards,

Well, I reckon stayin' at the Disneyland Hotel has always been a dream of mine too...but, the truth of it is, I ain't never gonna be rich enough to do it.
    No one is "rich enough". It's called Planning for a trip. People do it all the time when they take any type of trip anywhere.

I'm still savin' up to someday have enough to buy a Mickey Mouse Christmas Cookie in the park...that's one of my dreams.
    Really? I think you really should re-evaluate your spending habits if a $5 mickey mouse cookie is not in your budget.

Disney knows the importance of dreams, and hopes, and wishes...and current Disney corporate management is doing their very best to milk every last dollar off from them.

What price do you put on wonder, enchantment, joy? Everyone WANTS to be happy...everyone.

It is a shame really, that today's Disney visitor needs to be smart enough to do battle with Disney's corporate greed. There was a time when that simply wasn't true...

We all wish that we had enough money to do and have everything we could possibly dream. But, life, for most of us, simply doesn't work that way.

It's toughest on the kids...I suppose. They generally do not understand the concept of
    "costs too much".

But, life is short. If you have gathered all the facts, weighed all the positives and the negatives, can afford it, and really, really want to do it...then, by all means go for it...stay in the magic of the Disneyland Hotel. And congratulations on making your dream come true.

As I say...I'm still working on that small Mickey Mouse Christmas Cookie dream of mine.

It is important to have hope, wishes, and dreams. To search for happiness. Today's Disney corporation knows that...and charges folks dearly for it. Walt Disney, on the other hand, used to do everything he could to help make those dreams come true. You see, Walt put people first...not money...and it showed...

If you do decide to go however, let go of the idea that you spent way too much and simply savor every last bit of the magic you can. Keep a smile in your heart...and be determined to feel good about making your dream come true. Remember, credit card bills are generally delayed one month or so anyways...

Have fun...

Adios for now. Talk to ya on down the trail.

Wild Ol' Dan
    The bitterness you have for Disney corporate is not disguised at all in any of your posts. I do honestly understand where it comes from however, I do not let it over run my thoughts when I am enjoying a $5 mickey cookie.

To the OP....

I am a single mother...I am certainly NOT RICH yet I have enjoyed staying at the Disneyland Hotel and Paradise Pier before. My last stay at Disneyland Hotel was last February and it was for two nights for my son and I. I did get an AP discount and paid about $500 for the two nights. I also got a discount on my Mandara Spa 2 hour massage and also I got a discount on my son spending an evening an Pinocchio's Workshop in Grand Californian. I also enjoyed the new built Disneyland Hotel pool and went down the waterslide with my son. Also, the Magic Mornings was neat to. One hour early to roam the park was fun. Also, the sparkly fireworks headboard with the music that plays was tons of fun to watch. It worked as a wonderful "night light".

Hey, guess what! I also enjoyed a Mickey Cookie!

Again, I am not rich by any means but do work hard and plan for trips that I described above. I would have to say both times I've stayed at the hotels, I've enjoyed it and am VERY glad I PLANNED (ah, there is that word again) for it. And it seems like the OP is on the right track with planning it out and weighing all options.

I say do the trip, enjoy it. Especially if it is on your bucket list.

"costs too much".
    Oh and I can garantee that my kid understands the concept of money and what things cost. It's called a learning tool to teach him how to properly spend and make money. This little ploy of "oh the poor children" was poorly placed.

I apologize if I went off on a tangent a bit. Forgive me. But I do sincerly want to give the OP something positive and not negative.
    Last edited by clara; 11-26-2012 at 12:12 PM.

If you can afford it and have never stayed there than yes I guess its worth it. Consider the fact that You'll be there for a short time after you check in and leave again to visit the park. After your visit you'll most likely go to your room and crash out. You'll wake and leave for the park again. Weigh out the time you'll actually enjoy the room and property against the price.

Personally I'd choose to go the priceline route and get a 3.5 star hotel close by for $60 and just enjoy the park.

• Sock Puppet

If you can do at least one night in the Disneyland hotel it's worth it, cause is about the experience, not so much the price tag.. it is a experience, a once in a lifetime experience for some people and one that most kids get to enjoy and for any kid that is like a dream come true to stay in the Disneyland Hotel that is so close to where Mickey Mouse lives! To me it's worth it! Even for one night! Besides they just remodeled the rooms as i hear and they are nice!

and i agree! just do it! you probably won't get this chance again!

• D'land Visitor since '57

Quote Originally Posted by Werner View Post
    I wouldn't stay at the Disneyland Hotel for its proximity...
    I quite agree, but in my experience a stay at the DH is so much more than just its location. As others have pointed out, it can be an extension of the Disney experience. A stay at the DH is just so much more magical. If you truly want to be part of that magic yourself, then you ought to do it. If, on the other hand, you simply want a place to sleep between in-park excursions, then the DH is probably not for you. It all depends on what you consider "value."

Quote Originally Posted by RemainSeatedPlz87 View Post
    I am going to do it!!! and Bruce I can handle a little drizzle I am from Seattle lol.
    Good for you! I hope that you have a wonderful (and magical) stay. By the way, we have stayed at all three Disneyland hotels and we prefer the Disneyland Hotel above the other two, especially after the refurbishment.
    Proud member of Team It Doesn't Matterhorn, winners of the 2012 Gumball Rally Team Spirit Award.

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by remainseatedplz87 View Post
    i am going to do it!!! And bruce i can handle a little drizzle i am from seattle lol . Also i have been in february before and just two weeks ago i think i should manage may alright

yay!!!!!!!

• Selfie Expert

Quote Originally Posted by RemainSeatedPlz87 View Post
    I am going to do it!!! and Bruce I can handle a little drizzle I am from Seattle lol . Also I have been in February before and just two weeks ago I think I should manage May alright
    Yay!! Please do a trip report and let us know what you think!! Extra points if you take pictures to share of the hotel room!!

Quote Originally Posted by swampymarsh View Post
    Usually the cheapest times are in slow weeks, midweek. Often they have sales during those time too.

The best rates for anytime is:
    1. Have a Senior go with you and get the Senior rate.
    2. Book a convention rate if you are in a group going to a convention at the DLH or Anaheim Convention Center, or if you are part of a group going to an event like Gay Days.
    3. Join the military to get the military rates.
    I'm curious if you know what the senior discount is? I hadn't heard about that one.

Like Swampy said, definitely check out group rates! There are lots of unofficial "days" at Disney, and I'd bet a few of them will offer group discounts which are very, very beneficial.

I wouldn't recommend #3 unless you had prior plans to join the military. Not that I don't completely support that decision, but I wouldn't do it just for the discounts (though they are pretty dang good)!

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

• True Disney Freak

we've stayed at all three hotels, and had to make the trade to the hotels on harbor when the prices kept going up. I would say to the OP, though it is pricey, try and stay at the DLH at least once. You'll never find the magic off site and I know my kids really miss having Mickey Mouse call to wake them up in the morning and the late night rides on the monrail back to our rooms.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast