Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• MargyDisneylandLover

Question Is the Disneyland hotel worth the price?

Okay so I just got back from disneyland and I am already planning my next trip...I am shooting for early May before memorial day but after spring break...I am looking at the disneyland hotel but wondering is it really worth the price....I know the paradise pier is a bit less but the Disneyland Hotel has been a dream of mine and I have never stayed at an Disney property hotel. I know you get the perk of early entry every day and the disney magic but is it really worth it?
    My Name Is Margy and I am a mint julepaholic.
    Disneyland freak since my first trip when I turned 6 months old...september 1987!!
    "I do not like to repeat successes, I like to go on to other things."
    ~* Uncle Walt *~
    2014 gumball rally team: Skyway sweethearts

​Proud premium Annual Passholder since May 2nd, 2014

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

Re: Is the Disneyland hotel worth the price?

IMHO it is worth staying there *if* you are going to get the full use of the place and will take full advantage of all the Resort Hotel amenities - the pools, the Gym, the Business Center, etc. But only if you can get a decent deal out of them, I would NOT stay there if you're paying full retail "Rack Rate". They are priced stupid ridiculous high.

If you are only getting a room to sleep there, jump in the shower, and then running right out to your convention or into the theme parks for the whole day, and coming back to sleep again - I would NOT pay triple for the DLR Hotels. You can do that across the street on Harbor or a mile away for a Whole Lot Less, and extend your stay several days for the same price.

--<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

• Bring back the Keelboats!

I, too, had always wanted to stay at the Disneyland Hotel, but, for years, could not justify the price. When it finally happened, I was thrilled to be staying in a place so full of Disney history. The rooms are lovely and the headboards are amazing. I also love being able to jump on the Monorail and head into the Park.

That being said, I also enjoy the Paradise Pier. It is a bit more of a walk to get to the Rainforest Cafe and the Monorail, but it too offers Early Morning entry and has a character breakfast in the cafe on the street level.

Last month was the first time I have used Early Entry. I'm sorry, but I usually don't get up early enough to be at ANY gate by 7 a.m.! lol. But, I did it for Cal Adventure and it was totally worth it. We were able to ride Cars 3 times in 45 minutes and were enjoying breakfast when the castmembers walked the regular admissions into the park at 8.

Like Bruce said, it depends on what you want out of your experience. We have stayed at many motels across Harbor and walked into the park and was fine with it all.

But, if you want to be able to say you stayed there, do it!

Hidden Mickey - Historical fiction about Walt that mixes action and mystery with time travel and fantasy! Tweens to adults will enjoy these novels. And now, three gamebooks to play in Disneyland, DCA and WDW Magic Kingdom!

Check out my six action/adventure novels about Walt's lost diary and his epic quest. Visit my blog page!

Sometimes Dead Men DO Tell Tales!

• I'm not really here

That depends on what "worth it" means to you exactly. When I visit Disneyland I'm at the hotel purely to sleep... so it isn't worth it to me. We are in the parks from open till close with no return to hotel mid-day. If you're going to spend some time at the hotel, use the pool, spa, relax, dine, etc then it would be worth it in my opinion.

Best thing is to figure out your expectations and planned use first, then find a hotel that matches what you'll be doing.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Bergman View Post
    If you are only getting a room to sleep there, jump in the shower, and then running right out to your convention or into the theme parks for the whole day, and coming back to sleep again - I would NOT pay triple for the DLR Hotels. You can do that across the street on Harbor or a mile away for a Whole Lot Less, and extend your stay several days for the same price.
    ^^^ That sums up well how to evaluate if your should or not. The only thing I'd add is what HiddenMickeyBook mentioned, Early Entry. If you go rarely and it's during a very busy time it's a great perk to have.

I stay onsite 1-3 trips a year. Mainly when I do it's for a special visit like a birthday. Also on some I stay offsite and onsite for part of the visit. Otherwise I stay offsite, somewhere close to easily walk back and forth to the parks or somewhere further for a nicer place if I get a good rate.

• Dreaming of next trip

We have stayed at all 3 of the DL resort hotels, and stayed offsite. The advice given above is correct. The problem is what do you consider "worth it".
    We have stayed at the DL resort hotels for the proximaty to the park and a few of the other perks. On of the unspoken perk is the waking through DTD to get to the park, or the hopping on the monorail first thing in the morning.
    we found that staying at the DL Hotel can be fun, the magic doe not end when you leave the park, they also have their own channels on the TV.
    To make it the best value you can, go for a special occasion.
    Get a good rate, and plan your trip, do not add a night while you are there, it can be very spendy.
    We stayed at the DL Hotel in October and we will be staying there in a few weeks.
    The December trip is a special trip so the hotel stay is a plus.
    If you do stay at the DL Hotel keep your eyes open you never know what you will see, we have seen Goofy and a Wedding carrage.
    Sit down and figure what you would like to do and how much you want to spend then look for the best price.

• Selfie Expert

I've always wanted to stay at the Disneyland Hotel and the Grand Californian, but couldn't justify the cost. However, I just booked the Grand Californian for less than half of the normal cost by booking through a group discount for Dapper Days. Since the park is going to be packed that weekend and we will be in "costume", I figured it would be nice to be on site (literally IN the park) because we might take a break or two in the middle of the day.

Definitely look into various discounts!

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

Simple answer: No.

Even at 50% off the rack rate, you're still paying anywhere from $200-$300 a night for a hotel room. At the rack rate, you could be paying upward of $600 for a single night in a hotel.

The Disneyland Hotel and the Grand Californian are very nice. There's no doubt you get the "Disney touch." Then again, right across the street are hotel options that run $125-$300 a night -- the higher price for a big, suite-style (not a family suite style, but a classic hotel suite) room. No, you don't get Mickey this and Mickey that and H20 Plus in your hotel room. But the HUNDREDS OF DOLLARS you can save can allow you to have other Disney (or other) experiences you could not otherwise afford.

Unless you are swimming in dough, I would say to avoid the mistake I made and pay WAY too much money for the "privilege" of staying at a Disney hotel and just get a really, really nice room elsewhere ....and end up with a bank account that is a little bit fatter at the end of your stay!

• Selfie Expert

I'm not swimming in dough. We paid $199 for Grand Californian, the DH was $179. We are going one night as a special treat.

Basically, you'll have to feel what is worth it to you. I usually stay at the Ana Bella because it's affordable, close, and has always been a positive experience. However, I personally have always wanted to stay at a Disney property. It was worth paying more, to me, to do it once.

Don't let people feel guilty for spending the extra money on an experience if that's what you decide you want to do, after all that is what Disneyland is all about. You aren't going there because its a bargain.

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

• MargyDisneylandLover

This is a treat I would most likely never do again..I am leaning towards yes, the early entry is a big plus for every day esp for rsr...and we do use the pools and most likely the last morning we will be flying out in the early afternoon so exploring more of the disney magic would be great with out having to make an extra trip anywhere. Also I love the idea of having all my purchases delivered to my room and not having to haul them over the parks or dropping them off at one of the designated drop offs
    My Name Is Margy and I am a mint julepaholic.
    Disneyland freak since my first trip when I turned 6 months old...september 1987!!
    "I do not like to repeat successes, I like to go on to other things."
    ~* Uncle Walt *~
    2014 gumball rally team: Skyway sweethearts

​Proud premium Annual Passholder since May 2nd, 2014

• Minion

It's certainly a dream of mine as well, and when we do it, I'm going to search for a great deal and then take advantage of the hotel's amenities. Let us know how your trip goes.

I wouldn't stay at the Disneyland Hotel for its proximity. Sure, it's technically within the confines of the "resort". And there is a unifying Disney-ification connecting it to the Parks. But it's more of an illusion of being "nextdoor". There are several decent places to sleep on Harbor Blvd that are actually closer to the action. Depending on the particular room that you get at the sprawling Disneyland Hotel complex, you're going to be taking considerably more steps (even from the monorail station) compared to some of the establishment literally across the street from Disneyland.

• Minion

We used DVC on the DL Hotel and loved it it was great so magical but never have we payed for it though same with the GCH. It might be worth it for a once in a lifetime thing but its alright mostly location is great and the rooms are very nice.

It's a music Celebration
    Come on, come on, come on
    Strike up the band,
    Feel the beat, what a great sensation
    Come on, come on, come on
    Move and clap your hands,
    Get into the Spirit
    Let everyone hear it,
    So come on, come on

• Nic

I like the Disneyland Hotel, because you're always in Disneyland. You're in your Disney room, you then walk through Downtown Disney, and finally you're in Disneyland, as opposed to being in your Best Western room, and walking by Denny's, till you're in Disneyland.
    Fear of the unknown.

They are afraid of new ideas.

They are loaded with prejudices, not based upon any reality, but based onÖ if something is new, I reject it immediately because itís frightening to me. What they do instead is just stay with the familiar.
    You know, to me, the most beautiful things in all the universe, are the most mysterious.

the one thing I really noticed about your post remainseatedplz86 is your comment about always being a dream of yours to stay. If you don't stay there then it will always just be a dream of yours. If it is a dream of yours or on your "bucket list" Then stay there otherwise you will always regret not staying there.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast