Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

• I'm not really here

Re: How long has this been OK?

Quote Originally Posted by EC82 View Post
    "Gruff looking ruffians" is an insult? Geez. I didn't know people were SO touchy here. Wait. That's probably an insult, too?
    Insult: n, A disrespectful or scornfully abusive remark or comment.
    You decide.

These are grown adults who sit there all day with the sole purpose of trading pins or (out in DDD) Vinylmation.
    So what if they are adults? If it is what they like, more power to them. There are far worse hobbies to enjoy. Besides, who are you to question what other people enjoy doing in their spare time? I'm sure you have hobbies and interests that others would not find appealing, yet they leave you alone and don't call you a ruffian for engaging in said hobby.

So, next time I go to Disneyland and I bring a bunch of plastic bags filled with my Disney memorabilia and I tell people I'm only "trading" it, that will be OK, correct?

What if I want to bring some sandwiches in and say I'm only trading them for other items, not selling them?

Is that OK?
    Nope. Disney has stated that Pin Trading is okay and has even set up official websites and rules and etiquette. It is not okay to bring your memorabilia and trade it, only legitimate, metal Disney pins.

As food is not okay to bring into the parks you would be limited to trading in DTD only with your sandwiches. That said, if you wanted to trade it with someone else, whose going to stop you?

In the end, the property belongs to Disney and they make the rules. Pin trading only within the parks at designated locations and following certain guidelines. No outside food in the parks.

To put it bluntly, your attempted argument is reductio ad absurdum.

I'd be ALL for this type of pin trading if there were a nice set of tables inside a building somewhere away from guests. Maybe Disney should accommodate this kind of activity inside Aladdin's Oasis?
    Disney has accommodated pin traders by providing multiple locations throughout the park at which to participate in this hobby. Kind of hard to get it away from guests when it is guests participating in it. Plus, the purpose of having it visible is to spark interest in pins and further trading. So that would defeat the purpose.

Look, there is sanctioned Disney activity like cast members dressed in costume who are filling a role, then there are people who come in t-shirts with plastic bags filled with merchandise who are just there to trade things. That seems completely out of place to me. But, hey, apparently I am being too sensitive and unmagical. (Yes, I just insulted MYSELF!)
    Ah, but they are not just bringing plastic bags filled with merchandise. Only pins are allowed to be traded. Any plastic bags of merchandise are purchases made by the person within the park like any other park guest.

You are allowed your feelings, but you must also respect the feelings of others by not name calling and by allowing them to participate in sanctioned hobbies.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

•   
    • Minion

With the designated tables inside the resort, such as the ones in Frontierland, I've always thought that another aspect of it was Disneyland's ability to supervise what was going on. The pin trading is happening out in the open, it allows them to make sure everything is legit, and if nothing else, it alerts guests to the possibility of joining in. I know that the first few times I came to the resort I thought the CMs with pin lanyards just had them for fun, like the servers at the Hard Rock Cafe who wear a lot of pins on their uniforms. I had no idea pin trading even happened until I saw the Frontierland setup.

Anyway, unless the traders are being aggressive or rude to guests, or are out of line in some other way, I don't see the big deal. Disney knows they're there and probably fueling the pin sales inside the resort, since so many will buy the "starter sets" to trade away. I wouldn't put that in the category of a flea market or, say, counterfeit t-shirt sales.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

I for one think it looks tacky and Disney should get rid of it.

• Parking Lot > DCA

"Gruff looking ruffians" is an insult? Geez. I didn't know people were SO touchy here. Wait. That's probably an insult, too?

These are grown adults who sit there all day with the sole purpose of trading pins or (out in DDD) Vinylmation. So, next time I go to Disneyland and I bring a bunch of plastic bags filled with my Disney memorabilia and I tell people I'm only "trading" it, that will be OK, correct?

What if I want to bring some sandwiches in and say I'm only trading them for other items, not selling them?

Is that OK?

I'd be ALL for this type of pin trading if there were a nice set of tables inside a building somewhere away from guests. Maybe Disney should accommodate this kind of activity inside Aladdin's Oasis?

Just a thought.

Look, there is sanctioned Disney activity like cast members dressed in costume who are filling a role, then there are people who come in t-shirts with plastic bags filled with merchandise who are just there to trade things. That seems completely out of place to me. But, hey, apparently I am being too sensitive and unmagical. (Yes, I just insulted MYSELF!)

Again, I just think this kind of activity brings Disneyland down to the level of a swap meet, but since they also freely allow outside food in the park now so people can camp out on benches and eat their picnics in the middle of Disneyland, I guess anything goes.

Actually ... couldn't they reopen the picnic area as a pin-trading area?
    You can't be serious with this post..

Name:  kramer-facepalm.jpg
Views: 598
Size:  15.9 KB

Those tables are set up in the park (in Tomorrowland and Frontierland as far as I know) for Pin Trading by Disney. I assume that Vinylmation trading is ok as well being that people do that in Downtown Disney also. Pins and Vinyls are large money makers them so it makes sense they would allow for people to trade them, thus leading to them buying more, etc. So no, you can't just bring a bag of random stuff and trade it, nor can you bring sandwiches or whatever else you mentioned. For the most part, these tables are tucked away and out of the "way" of traffic so there is no need to put them somewhere else.

I also think it was a little out of line to call people that trade/collect those items "gruff looking ruffians" - like I said they are out the way and not harming anyone or anything. And they sure as Hell don't look any different than the park guests that enter Disneyland every day.

• Nic

I think it would be OK for them to do this in Downtown Disney, but not in Disneyland.

That being said, I'm really not as offended by this as you are. They aren't calling out for traders like food vendors at a baseball game, and they're not walking in front of you and opening up their coat to show you their pins.
    Fear of the unknown.

They are afraid of new ideas.

They are loaded with prejudices, not based upon any reality, but based on if something is new, I reject it immediately because its frightening to me. What they do instead is just stay with the familiar.
    You know, to me, the most beautiful things in all the universe, are the most mysterious.

I was being sarcastic. I think it's an awful practice that makes Disneyland look like an ugly swap meet. Where does it stop? A bunch of gruff-looking ruffians who bring pins to trade? Seems weird and totally strips away what little "magic" remains.
    They look perfectly respectable. They're wearing clothes without holes or inappropriate slogans. They don't have weird hair cuts, they're not covered in tats... they look pretty normal. Where do you get the impression of "gruff looking ruffians" from?

As a former pin trader, I find your remarks rude and totally exaggerated. They are just trading pins in a somewhat hidden corner of tomorrowland. They are not allowed to sell. They have to stay polite or risk getting thrown out.(It has happened before. Disney is very good at finding the bad eggs. I heard they have every traders info on file.) The kids love it. Families love it. I used to see so many happy faces when someone trades for a pin they've been hunting all day.

As for the old "where does it stop?" argument, it ends with pins and vinylmation. Really not that complicated. Some people bring a few odd disney items hear and there to show off but thats it. I had the pleasure of once seeing the supposed key used in the FL refurb drawbridge lowering. No one ever brings bags full of random disney junk. Just pins and vinyls. Sure it doesn't look beautiful the way its set up, but if it ruins your day at the park well...you have bigger problems than a couple of tables full of ruffians that you're forced to look at...
    In the quest for quality, I have no problem with the characters footing the bill.

•   
    • Insert Hilarious Title

I've noticed this the past few visits -- squatters who trade pins and Vinylmation, turning Disneyland and the Downtown Disney area into a garage sale. I find it offensive, but Disney doesn't seem to care. How long has this been considered OK with Disney? I know the general low opinion of Disney management here on the forums, but are they really doing nothing about it?
    Official Disney Pin Trading - Get Started!

The above link is from Disney's own pin trading website. Below are some quotes from the website relevant to your post.

WHEN DID DISNEY PIN TRADING START AT DISNEY THEME PARKS AND RESORTS?
    The Walt Disney Company has always offered collectible Disney pins in each of its Parks and Resorts around the world. With the start of the Millennium Celebration in October 1999, we introduced the tradition of Disney Pin Trading. Today, thousands of Guests trade pins with other Guests and Cast Members from around the world.
    ARE THERE LOCATION ETIQUETTE GUIDELINES FOR DISNEY PIN TRADING?
    There are location etiquette guidelines for specific trading locations at Disney Parks. These guidelines are designed to ensure the safety and courtesy of participants, maintain the show quality of the pin trading areas, and provide an enjoyable experience for all of our Guests.

In California, these guidelines currently apply to the designated pin trading areas at Disney's Pin Traders at Downtown Disney District, and Little Green Men Store Command and Westward Ho Trading Co. in Disneyland Park.
    You're welcome for the info.
    Feel free to add me as a friend on Facebook (Just mention MiceChat)

"The thing that makes us different is our way of thinking, our judgement and experience acquired over the years. Giving it 'heart.' Others haven't understood the public. We developed a psychological approach to everything we do here. We seem to know when to 'tap the heart.' Others have hit the intellect. We can hit them in an emotional way. Those that appeal to the intellect only appeal to a very limited group. Let's not let the mechanics get in here and foul the whole thing." -Walt Disney

• I can't stand you.

I've never been interested in pin trading and never understood it but lol wow you sure went off the handle for this one. I've never paid it any mind cause its not an interest of mine but I mean dang lol this forum is definitely love/hate when it comes to Disney things...

Do they have sites like this set up at WDW? This "ruffian" would like to know. I love Disney pins !!

I've collected pins but don't trade. I understand what pin trading is, but I don't "get" it.

If I have some basic Mickey or Donald pin that you can buy in any store and I want to trade that for something more rare, how does that benefit the trader of the rarer pin? Is it always one for one? Is it just for fun?

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Mojave View Post
    I've collected pins but don't trade. I understand what pin trading is, but I don't "get" it.

If I have some basic Mickey or Donald pin that you can buy in any store and I want to trade that for something more rare, how does that benefit the trader of the rarer pin? Is it always one for one? Is it just for fun?
    It's for fun. And they don't have to trade if they don't want. Only Disney CMs have to trade.
    If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Malcon10t View Post
    It's for fun. And they don't have to trade if they don't want. Only Disney CMs have to trade.
    Yup. In most shops, especially the smaller ones/the ones that sell a lot of pins, the CMs will have a lanyard or a small bag with the pins available for trade. There are also the CMs with lanyards walking around with pins. The CM has to accept the trade as long as you're offering a Disney pin to them.

I don't trade, in general - I just buy and collect pins I like and think are cute, without worrying about their monetary or trade value - but I've traded with CMs from time to time when I've seen something really interesting on their lanyards.

• Blew By You

Not a bad way to spend a nice day at Disneyland Resort and partaking in a passion hobby.

I've noticed this the past few visits -- squatters who trade pins and Vinylmation, turning Disneyland and the Downtown Disney area into a garage sale. I find it offensive, but Disney doesn't seem to care. How long has this been considered OK with Disney? I know the general low opinion of Disney management here on the forums, but are they really doing nothing about it?
    I would stay away from the hotels on the night that Disney has their pin trading nights... whole place is full of ruffians and thugs...

Name:  Punzel.jpg
Views: 483
Size:  40.4 KB

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast