Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

• Minion

Re: How long has this been OK?

Quote Originally Posted by Mojave View Post
    I've collected pins but don't trade. I understand what pin trading is, but I don't "get" it.

If I have some basic Mickey or Donald pin that you can buy in any store and I want to trade that for something more rare, how does that benefit the trader of the rarer pin? Is it always one for one? Is it just for fun?
    Some people trade because they have multiples of something or they want to complete a certain "set" of pins. For example, there are pins sold at the Disney soda shop in LA. Other people may have missed out on those limited edition pins (which can be as few as 500) BUT they may have another LE 500 pin. If the two traders decide they would be happy trading, they can do so. Alternatively, they can both sell their pins on eBay or something and then purchase the pin they want with their earnings.

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft16 View Post

So what if they are adults? If it is what they like, more power to them. There are far worse hobbies to enjoy. Besides, who are you to question what other people enjoy doing in their spare time? I'm sure you have hobbies and interests that others would not find appealing, yet they leave you alone and don't call you a ruffian for engaging in said hobby.

You are allowed your feelings, but you must also respect the feelings of others by not name calling and by allowing them to participate in sanctioned hobbies.
    Because it bears repeating....

I've seen these set up many times before and I just glance over and walk on by. I have a lot of pins, but I was never into the trading thing. I traded pins at the last Expo once and decided it wasn't for me. I thought it would be just trade one for another but each has a different value based on if its an LE or age etc.... the sharks have it down to a science and I just buy ones I think are cool.

But they don't bother me since I just walk past them and let those who want to partake to so.

There are other things in life that I feel are more important to get bent over... and this isn't one of those things.

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

• Sultan of Swing

What is a "ruffian"? Is it really a word for insulting?
    Always read the fine print.

• Ryan

I'm in high school so I can make a somewhat-relate-able analogy. With every huge public area, especially with a broad "clientele", you get many different "crowds". To me this is like the group of kids who play those Magik cards with each other. They are secluded and enjoy meeting people who share the same hobby together. However, I think only trading should be allowed. No negotiating on who has the best deals, or garage sales. And there does seem to be some of that, and it makes Disney look somewhat unproffesional. But then again, I don't really care because it doesn't apply to me.

SIDE NOTE: Personally, I think the more important issue is the lack of smiling in this picture. While it may be the timing of the photo, I do see less and less people smiling at the resort. -->

SIDE SIDE NOTE: Don't take me too seriously.
    Last edited by YoungImagineer; 11-24-2012 at 10:36 PM. Reason: added side note

When I recently took my son to Disneyland for his first time. He wanted to check this area out and see what it was all about. Those "Ruffians" gave him 6 pins to get him started in trading! It was by far the nicest thing anybody did in the park for him throughout his whole time at Disney.

Disney started this hobby, set up the area for them to be traded, and creates and sells pins throughout the park. It is even marked on every Disneyland Park Map. They monitor it, and hand pins out to cast members everyday to trade. They were trying to create ways for people to interact with others and mingle. Because my son was open minded to the hobby, I got to meet so many incredible cast members and wonderful people. Everyone I spoke to at these tables were all pleasant, loved discussing how and when these pins were created. All were very helpful. It is no way a Garage Sale or Flea market and trying to stretch your points to make it seem more so is laughable. Some of these pins are worth thousands of dollars.

You should really check it out sometime as opposed to openly mock them on forums! In the meantime I will let my 10 year old son know he is officially a ruffian.

From Disney's event service guidelines

"Disney Pin Trading Location Etiquette Guidelines:
    • Limit of one table for each Pin Trader.
    • Limit of one bag/binder on the Pin Trading Table.
    • Limit of one bag/binder in the Pin Trading location.
    • Tables may not be moved, and please . . .
    • Be courteous and always remember to follow Disney Pin Trading etiquette as outlined
    above. Thank you!
    The location etiquette guidelines are for specific trading locations at Disney Parks.
    These guidelines are designed to ensure the safety and courtesy of participants,
    maintain the show quality of the pin trading areas, and provide an enjoyable experience for all of our Guests."

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by penguinsoda View Post
    I've seen these set up many times before and I just glance over and walk on by. I have a lot of pins, but I was never into the trading thing. I traded pins at the last Expo once and decided it wasn't for me. I thought it would be just trade one for another but each has a different value based on if its an LE or age etc.... the sharks have it down to a science and I just buy ones I think are cool.
    I do the same. If ever I really want to get serious about trading, I know where to go. But until then, I'm gonna trade with CMs who can't say no and are always happy to trade with me whatever I have. Putting a monetary value on things is nice (sometimes?), but since I'm not selling any of my pins anyway, I just trade for the ones that appeal to me at the time.

• Thinking about doughnuts

Quote Originally Posted by EC82 View Post
    I've noticed this the past few visits -- squatters who trade pins and Vinylmation, turning Disneyland and the Downtown Disney area into a garage sale. I find it offensive, but Disney doesn't seem to care. How long has this been considered OK with Disney? I know the general low opinion of Disney management here on the forums, but are they really doing nothing about it?

Attachment 25297
    By coincidence, I took a seat in Tommorowland to rest my weary feet and ended up sitting right next to these folks. I'd never noticed them until today. There was a plaid (guest relations) in the middle of the bunch participating with a smile on her face. Disney seems okay with it.

• 2 shots on the rocks.

I don't care what they are doing, the area just looks very trashy. All those bags on the ground? And litter too? Visually It looks unkempt.

• some assembly required

Quote Originally Posted by doppio View Post
    I don't care what they are doing, the area just looks very trashy. All those bags on the ground? And litter too? Visually It looks unkempt.
    Agreed.
    I always know what is going on when I see a pin trade area from afar. I don't get it, it seems so loiter-y-ish, I get a slightly bad vibe from it (kinda like the unofficial t-shirt barkers on Harbor).

It doesn't ruin my day and I am pleased to know Disney monitors this type of event; I didn't know that it was official until this very thread. It seems like some fan group everytime I see it. Maybe I need to see it up close? But nothing from my vantage points tell me it is truely DISNEY. It seems like Disney could polish these up a bit. Just an opinion from a passer-by.

I wouldn't come to MC and call them ruffians for the same reason I wouldn't walk up to them and call them ruffians (I do love this archaic word tho - it's soooo Leave It To Beaver !!!) I think ruffian is the wrong word anyway.
    I'd like to know where the OP is from that the average Anaheimer looks like a ruffian!?!?!
    ~Jay

"Ahh-chooo!" ~ Walt Disney
    "Bless you." ~ My Grandfather
    (Disneyland, circa 1957)

• A Pirate's Life For Me...

Way too far from the magic..Glendale, Arizona

First I just have to say I can't believe this is what we have come to on MC, attacking pin traders.

You should be happy there are only the 2 designated areas for Pin Trading instead of back in the day when they were all over the park!

Thank you Poisonedapples for my my my signature!!!

• Just drawn that way

They have been doing this for a while, over ten years, Pin traders don't sell pins on property because it is against Disney's policy. Plus it was a big week for pins, so you have more people coming out. Usually there are only a few pin traders but because of the holiday weekend and a few limited edition pins were released so you do have more pin traders then usual.
    Little and broken, but still good.

• The "goat trick" RULES!!!

My 2 cents: It's been ok for a while now. I don't have a problem with it.

• Hooterville, USA

OMG. If you think those pin traders are ruffians, you should see those people at the hub on Sundays at noon.

Barbaric I tell you, barbaric!

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

You're all right. I'm wrong. Disney should, when you think about it, set up a swap meet in the Esplanade.

Years ago, Disney let slip its prohibition on outside food. Now I literally see families set up with picnics on the ground in the hub and along the parade routes. People come JUST to set up shop to wait all day to see Fantasmic. They spend all day trading pins.

THERE IS NOTHING INHERENTLY WRONG WITH THESE ACTIVITIES. The sensitive-types are completely misreading my initial comments.

But Disneyland is supposed to be idealized, is supposed to be perfect, is supposed to be squeaky clean, is supposed to be a place that allows me respite from the outside world, is supposed to be a place where the outside world doesn't intrude.

Personally (and apparently I am in the minority) I don't like the look of a bunch of people gathered in a corner with plastic bags strewn on the ground as they basically do everything but shout out, "Pin trading here! Pin trading here!" It feels cheap and trashy and completely out of character for Disneyland.

But the great irony is that as Disneyland has raised its prices further and further and relied ever more on the annual pass program, it has turned the park into exactly the sort of locals-only carnival-type attraction that Disneyland was never supposed to be, staffed in large part by insouciant employees who, through NO FAULT OF THEIR OWN (I believe that, I truly do) have lost all sense of raising the bar of quality at Disneyland.

I'm off my high horse now. But I do think that those pin traders who think this is totally OK would be less happy about it if Disneyland was a twice-a-year treat for them rather than a once-a-week or once-a-month occurrence. I miss those days of feeling Disneyland was really special, and I guess the presence of people who just sit there and trade pins surrounded by trash (and I've NEVER NOT seen them surrounded by trash, I swear) just underscores for me how much Disneyland has really, truly changed.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by EC82 View Post
    You're all right. I'm wrong. Disney should, when you think about it, set up a swap meet in the Esplanade.

Years ago, Disney let slip its prohibition on outside food. Now I literally see families set up with picnics on the ground in the hub and along the parade routes. People come JUST to set up shop to wait all day to see Fantasmic. They spend all day trading pins.

THERE IS NOTHING INHERENTLY WRONG WITH THESE ACTIVITIES. The sensitive-types are completely misreading my initial comments.

But Disneyland is supposed to be idealized, is supposed to be perfect, is supposed to be squeaky clean, is supposed to be a place that allows me respite from the outside world, is supposed to be a place where the outside world doesn't intrude.

Personally (and apparently I am in the minority) I don't like the look of a bunch of people gathered in a corner with plastic bags strewn on the ground as they basically do everything but shout out, "Pin trading here! Pin trading here!" It feels cheap and trashy and completely out of character for Disneyland.

But the great irony is that as Disneyland has raised its prices further and further and relied ever more on the annual pass program, it has turned the park into exactly the sort of locals-only carnival-type attraction that Disneyland was never supposed to be, staffed in large part by insouciant employees who, through NO FAULT OF THEIR OWN (I believe that, I truly do) have lost all sense of raising the bar of quality at Disneyland.

I'm off my high horse now. But I do think that those pin traders who think this is totally OK would be less happy about it if Disneyland was a twice-a-year treat for them rather than a once-a-week or once-a-month occurrence. I miss those days of feeling Disneyland was really special, and I guess the presence of people who just sit there and trade pins surrounded by trash (and I've NEVER NOT seen them surrounded by trash, I swear) just underscores for me how much Disneyland has really, truly changed.
    I couldn't agree with you more.

Higher AP prices and a definite slipping of overall park quality. I won't be renewing my AP anymore. Hopefully more people don't renew -- and everyone (except for Micechatters) I have spoke with say they will not be getting new AP's. Perhaps when the loyal fan-base is gone then the pin traders will slowly go away too. Until then you can expect those couple of areas of Disneyland to continue looking like the OC Swap Meet...

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast