Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast

• Say Cheese!

Re: How long has this been OK?

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    I for one think it looks tacky and Disney should get rid of it.
    I agree.

• Certified in everything

Those tables are there for the purpose of trading. They aren't there everyday, I believe there are select days that they do this.

And sheesh, let's not rag on Disney for doing something that might promote a sense of community among it patrons and gets strangers to actually talk to one another. I have a hard time figuring out how this could bother anyone.

While "magic" to you may mean not having to look at pin traders... others find these trading communities to be very much a part of the magic.
    Disneyland Wooooh!

"You see- Everybody's got a laughin' place, trouble is most folks won't take the time to go look for it."

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by cruise View Post
    Those tables are there for the purpose of trading. They aren't there everyday, I believe there are select days that they do this.

And sheesh, let's not rag on Disney for doing something that might promote a sense of community among it patrons and gets strangers to actually talk to one another. I have a hard time figuring out how this could bother anyone.

While "magic" to you may mean not having to look at pin traders... others find these trading communities to be very much a part of the magic.
    Well said.
    Princess of Agrabah and Queen of Never Land

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

To me it is not really an issue. However growing up as a "Tourist" class visitor who did the whole "Going to Disneyland!" once every 10 years thing, the entire concept of going to The Resort to hang out and trade collectables is dramatically foreign.

• Hide and Seek with Anna

Another thing if you don't like these pin traders then you should like some of the CM with there pin pouchs that they have on them. They trade pins all the time to to guess I happen to trade my pins to them of the ones I don't want and see the ones they have to me it doesn't bug me one bit.

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Hook View Post
    Another thing if you don't like these pin traders then you should like some of the CM with there pin pouchs that they have on them. They trade pins all the time to to guess I happen to trade my pins to them of the ones I don't want and see the ones they have to me it doesn't bug me one bit.
    I think that it is the camping out that people are commenting on here rather than the notion of trading.

•   

It's not my thing, but I don't see the harm in it. It seems to cater to a pro-Disney community. I for one respect their fandom and see them as fellow Disney fans who stand by us in their love for all things DL.

I'm wary of terms like "unsightly". When I worked in law enforcement people would often call us out to deal with something that was "unsightly" but upon review of what was going on, there was no actual crime being committed. Someone just didn't like that so-and-so was in their neighborhood because it "made it ugly" or something. It didn't devalue the place, and it isn't hurting anything here.

Now if this camping starts to grow and get out of control? If this area expands and gets bigger and bigger and cuts into the path flow? Yeah, okay, now I could see where this is headed. If it ever did go this way, I could see a real reasonable solution such as arranging for these people to meet in a different ( and larger ) place. How often is that corporate meeting area behind Big Thunder BBQ really in use? Couldn't it make for a nice surrogate pin-trading place?
    Your first, your last, your only defense against the scum of the ethereal plane.

<a href=http://westcoastbusters.com/ target=_blank>http://westcoastbusters.com/</a>

• Hooterville, USA

If they can designate areas for smokers, then pin trading is a no brainer.

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• I'm not really here

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
    I think that it is the camping out that people are commenting on here rather than the notion of trading.
    More than likely, but even that has fatal flaws. People camping out for hours waiting for a ride to open? People waiting for signing events in the parks? People sitting on benches in the hub doing nothing at all? Can you really draw a line on when not moving inside a Disney park becomes wrong?

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft16 View Post
    More than likely, but even that has fatal flaws. People camping out for hours waiting for a ride to open? People waiting for signing events in the parks? People sitting on benches in the hub doing nothing at all? Can you really draw a line on when not moving inside a Disney park becomes wrong?
    pretty much this x 1000

• Banned User

Why stop with pin trading? Seriously. I wonder if I can start trading my Star Wars figures.

I don't have a problem with pin trading. I bumped into a guy at work who traded pins at Disneyland. I never knew he was into this. What a revelation.

Disney should create more opportunities to trade other Disney collectibles.

• Non-Minion

Pin trading was never my thing at all but I have had a few friends who go involved while on their trips. We would frequent the pin trading areas and it wasn't until a single occurance happened that made me have a slight issue with this.

a gentlemen had his book out and there was a kid there, couldn't be more than 12 or 13 and was super excited about getting a certain pin. He asked the gentlemen about trading so he looked at the kids lanyard and I couldn't believe what came out of his mouth. He basically said "I don't see anything on your lanyard that I want...BUT...there is a pin in the store that if YOU bought I would be willing to trade you for the one you wanted" My jaw dropped...this dude was seriously hustling a kid to try and buy him a pin? When I asked him if he was serious he kind of shrugged his shoulders and said that what he does, I questioned if that's something that is done by a lot of traders and he wouldn't answer.

I honestly can't believe that someone would do something like that. Correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't that be against the guidelines? Is that something a lot of pin-traders do?
    "If you were thinking, you wouldn't have thought that"

•   
    • TDS and TDL FUN times

I see people pin trading all the time over in tommorowland with this picture and by frontierland but disney actively encourages this which includes the countless CM's who trade pins with guests of all ages. I dont pin trade at all so all I do is walk along and find something to do at Disneyland I enjoy. For this group its pin trading for the next group it could be lining up early for candy canes. Or waiting for the newest Olszewski statues ,The Beauty of Disneyland is you can find something to do for everyone and and if you dont like one thing try another (:

• Parking Lot > DCA

Quote Originally Posted by christianAdam View Post
    a gentlemen had his book out and there was a kid there, couldn't be more than 12 or 13 and was super excited about getting a certain pin. He asked the gentlemen about trading so he looked at the kids lanyard and I couldn't believe what came out of his mouth. He basically said "I don't see anything on your lanyard that I want...BUT...there is a pin in the store that if YOU bought I would be willing to trade you for the one you wanted" My jaw dropped...this dude was seriously hustling a kid to try and buy him a pin? When I asked him if he was serious he kind of shrugged his shoulders and said that what he does, I questioned if that's something that is done by a lot of traders and he wouldn't answer.

I honestly can't believe that someone would do something like that. Correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't that be against the guidelines? Is that something a lot of pin-traders do?
    I don't know what their guidelines are, but I feel like that is frowned upon. Aside from that, it's just not right. If I was in that dude's shoes I probably would have just ended up giving the pin to the kid. It seems like it would have made his day.

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

Maybe the issue here lies with Disney. Instead of just piling movable tables into a corner, they could instead open up a lounge with some retail and collectable sales and dedicated trading CM's on hand. This would get rid of the issues of "unsightliness", fit the theme better (assuming the lounge was themed to the land it occupies), and even give Disney some well suited and targeted merchandising opportunities.

How long has the upstairs of the Starcade sat unused?

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast