Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3456789 ... LastLast

Re: How long has this been OK?

Disney actually got the idea from the Olympics where pin trading allowed people from around the world to interact with each other.

---------- Post added 11-27-2012 at 12:42 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by fifthrider View Post
    Now if this camping starts to grow and get out of control? If this area expands and gets bigger and bigger and cuts into the path flow? Yeah, okay, now I could see where this is headed. If it ever did go this way, I could see a real reasonable solution such as arranging for these people to meet in a different ( and larger ) place. How often is that corporate meeting area behind Big Thunder BBQ really in use? Couldn't it make for a nice surrogate pin-trading place?
    That area was used for awhile. I think the pin cart is still there. There also used to be games for pin traders there. They took out the trading area during the Halloween overlay and it stayed out for the Christmas one. Hopefully it'll come back in January.

---------- Post added 11-27-2012 at 12:46 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by christianAdam View Post
    a gentlemen had his book out and there was a kid there, couldn't be more than 12 or 13 and was super excited about getting a certain pin. He asked the gentlemen about trading so he looked at the kids lanyard and I couldn't believe what came out of his mouth. He basically said "I don't see anything on your lanyard that I want...BUT...there is a pin in the store that if YOU bought I would be willing to trade you for the one you wanted" My jaw dropped...this dude was seriously hustling a kid to try and buy him a pin? When I asked him if he was serious he kind of shrugged his shoulders and said that what he does, I questioned if that's something that is done by a lot of traders and he wouldn't answer.

I honestly can't believe that someone would do something like that. Correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't that be against the guidelines? Is that something a lot of pin-traders do?
    If you see that again, please report him to a CM. Some people ask you to buy a pin and then return it for the money. WDW seems to have more problems with aggressive pin traders. They lost their trading area completely for a few months.

• Parking Lot > DCA

Quote Originally Posted by clippers6 View Post
    If you see that again, please report him to a CM. Some people ask you to buy a pin and then return it for the money. WDW seems to have more problems with aggressive pin traders. They lost their trading area completely for a few months.
    Woah! I didn't even think of that. Makes perfect sense, too.

People are crazy.

Sidenote: Doesn't "aggressive pin traders" sound funny?

•   
    • Among mad people

Quote Originally Posted by explodingboy View Post

Sidenote: Doesn't "aggressive pin traders" sound funny?
    I have no opinion regarding pin trading, however, this does make me picture someone running around after a person waving his lanyard/book yelling ala Jim Carrey "Traaaaade meeeeeeee".
    Just sayin'

• I am number 4 of 999

He basically said "I don't see anything on your lanyard that I want...BUT...there is a pin in the store that if YOU bought I would be willing to trade you for the one you wanted"
    OK, obviously this is bad if the guy told him to buy a $50 exclusive pin that he intended to trade for an $8 everyday pin, BUT... if that wasn't the case... you have to have a pin to trade, that's kind of the point, and unless you steal them, buying them is your only option.

Once again, so much quick judgement on the topic of pin trading!
    It's actually "Cars Land", not "Carsland".

• Non-Minion

Quote Originally Posted by ghosty4 View Post
    OK, obviously this is bad if the guy told him to buy a $50 exclusive pin that he intended to trade for an $8 everyday pin, BUT... if that wasn't the case... you have to have a pin to trade, that's kind of the point, and unless you steal them, buying them is your only option.

Once again, so much quick judgement on the topic of pin trading!
    The kid had plenty of pins to trade, the dude didn't want any of them. Obviously the trader had a plethora of pins in his collection, and would it really be that tragic to trade a pin to a kid (one that the trader had more than one of) for a pin that he probably doesn't want but knows it would make the kids day?
    The fact that the trader literally asked this 12 year old kid to go buy him a pin blows my mind. it doesn't matter if its a $2 pin...its not right my man. And lets be honest, with this guys extensive collection, do you REALLY think that he was looking for a pin worth $8?

Thought this was pin-trading...not pin-hustling.

Unless someone is buying a pin for themselves there should be no money exchanged anywhere when it comes to pin-TRADING
    "If you were thinking, you wouldn't have thought that"

The kid had plenty of pins to trade, the dude didn't want any of them. Obviously the trader had a plethora of pins in his collection, and would it really be that tragic to trade a pin to a kid (one that the trader had more than one of) for a pin that he probably doesn't want but knows it would make the kids day?
    The fact that the trader literally asked this 12 year old kid to go buy him a pin blows my mind. it doesn't matter if its a $2 pin...its not right my man. And lets be honest, with this guys extensive collection, do you REALLY think that he was looking for a pin worth $8?

Unless someone is buying a pin for themselves there should be no money exchanged anywhere when it comes to pin-TRADING
    Limited edition pins are usually no more expensive in the stores than open edition. And I do not agree with the idea that the guy was obligated to trade with the kid. For some kids, we do do nice things like make unfair trades in the kids favor. But if we did that all the time, we'd lose all our much sought after pins in a day, thats how often kids will request high end pins. LOL I always tell those kids they have good taste when they point at my more expensive pins!

As for asking to buy for you in the store, most traders have more tact than to ask outright. If you know you want a pin that is for sale at the moment and the trader doesn't have anything for a fairly equal value, most people will say "Im looking for X pin." Then the trader will say "Oh, where can I find it?" Then you say "Well its still for sale in the store."

The guy really shouldn't have been so blunt about wanting something from the store. Most traders will try their best to politely imply that you don't have anything that they are looking for and will try to tell you what they are looking for. Sometimes it just "happens" to be on sale. But you also have to remember that these traders have about a hundred kids a day coming up to them trying to offer up their common pins for rare and desirable pins. For all you know this guy could have traded limited editions to 5 different kids before you showed up and just couldn't spare anymore.

Also sometimes, but not always, kids are the ones who are the sharks. Usually with their parents using them to trade unfairly but it does happen. A lot of traders have their guard up, even with kids. I know I've been purposefully ripped off by kids in the past.
    In the quest for quality, I have no problem with the characters footing the bill.

• Parking Lot > DCA

While I understand the point is pin-trading, I agree with christianAdam on this one. It seems like the dude was being a little rude to the kid - and while maybe the kid had nothing the guy wanted, it still would have shown good character to trade just for the kid's sake. After all, they're just pins. I am sure they mean a lot more to the kid right now than the older dude. Obviously I wasn't there so I can't say what his tone was really, but it seems like it could have been handled differently in my opinion.

• Quiet As A Mouse!

It's a Secret........... Sssssssshhhhhhhh!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by explodingboy View Post
    Pins and Vinyls are large money makers them so it makes sense they would allow for people to trade them, thus leading to them buying more, etc.
    Keyword: MONEY - MAKER. Pins and vinylmations are big business for Disney.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcon10t View Post
    It's for fun. And they don't have to trade if they don't want. Only Disney CMs have to trade.
    It's Disney's pins that are provided to trade, not the CMs personal ones. So, the CMs don't care which one they want or don't want to trade. It's all good!
    I Get In. I Get Out. I Never Get Noticed!
    - From "Prep And Landing"

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

As long as they are trading, they're technically not doing anything wrong. I do dislike it when DtD becomes overcrowded with nowhere to sit or move because of the trading, though.

• Welcome Home

Quote Originally Posted by EC82 View Post
    You're all right. I'm wrong. Disney should, when you think about it, set up a swap meet in the Esplanade.

Years ago, Disney let slip its prohibition on outside food. Now I literally see families set up with picnics on the ground in the hub and along the parade routes. People come JUST to set up shop to wait all day to see Fantasmic. They spend all day trading pins.

THERE IS NOTHING INHERENTLY WRONG WITH THESE ACTIVITIES. The sensitive-types are completely misreading my initial comments.

But Disneyland is supposed to be idealized, is supposed to be perfect, is supposed to be squeaky clean, is supposed to be a place that allows me respite from the outside world, is supposed to be a place where the outside world doesn't intrude.

Personally (and apparently I am in the minority) I don't like the look of a bunch of people gathered in a corner with plastic bags strewn on the ground as they basically do everything but shout out, "Pin trading here! Pin trading here!" It feels cheap and trashy and completely out of character for Disneyland.

But the great irony is that as Disneyland has raised its prices further and further and relied ever more on the annual pass program, it has turned the park into exactly the sort of locals-only carnival-type attraction that Disneyland was never supposed to be, staffed in large part by insouciant employees who, through NO FAULT OF THEIR OWN (I believe that, I truly do) have lost all sense of raising the bar of quality at Disneyland.

I'm off my high horse now. But I do think that those pin traders who think this is totally OK would be less happy about it if Disneyland was a twice-a-year treat for them rather than a once-a-week or once-a-month occurrence. I miss those days of feeling Disneyland was really special, and I guess the presence of people who just sit there and trade pins surrounded by trash (and I've NEVER NOT seen them surrounded by trash, I swear) just underscores for me how much Disneyland has really, truly changed.

I agree with you. On Sundays in the park before the revamp of the AP processing center to a restaurant, all the tables would be taken by 9am by traders and they'd be there all day. Selling or not, it looked exactly like a pin swap meet. Giant bags of fast food and soft drinks of course on the tables. As to the ruffian comment, I agree with that too. But the general retort here that they look no different than average park guests isn't too far from accurate either. I suspect you, like me, are of an age where most large modern crowds look like... ruffians. So many of them overweight to obese, tank topped, cargo panted... with toesnails, tats and underarm hair available for your inspection - welcome to the USA circa 2012.

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Screwy Squirrel View Post
    I agree with you. On Sundays in the park before the revamp of the AP processing center to a restaurant, all the tables would be taken by 9am by traders and they'd be there all day. Selling or not, it looked exactly like a pin swap meet. Giant bags of fast food and soft drinks of course on the tables. As to the ruffian comment, I agree with that too. But the general retort here that they look no different than average park guests isn't too far from accurate either. I suspect you, like me, are of an age where most large modern crowds look like... ruffians. So many of them overweight to obese, tank topped, cargo panted... with toesnails, tats and underarm hair available for your inspection - welcome to the USA circa 2012.

Wow what a rude post and generalization. It's ok if it's not your thing but maybe you should re-read this post....

• Welcome Home

Quote Originally Posted by biggsworth View Post
    Wow what a rude post and generalization. It's ok if it's not your thing but maybe you should re-read this post....
    Expected to get this reply but posted anyway. This is my observation and opinion. If someone looks around at our modern world and sees otherwise, they are entitled to voice that observation and difference of opinion. It's an unfortunate sign of our times that we don't engage in discussion anymore. To me the modern world has lost something of it's civility, common courtesy, common sense and manners and this is partly expressed by the attire and appearance of a large number of our fellow citizens. You may disagree, I expect most will. But it's not rude to state an opinion that differs from the mainstream. I'm done on the topic; this will not turn into one of those back and forth "yes you are no I'm not" that occurs so often here and on most internet discussion sites. Good day to you.

•   
    • Minion

Expected to get this reply but posted anyway. This is my observation and opinion. If someone looks around at our modern world and sees otherwise, they are entitled to voice that observation and difference of opinion. It's an unfortunate sign of our times that we don't engage in discussion anymore. To me the modern world has lost something of it's civility, common courtesy, common sense and manners and this is partly expressed by the attire and appearance of a large number of our fellow citizens. You may disagree, I expect most will. But it's not rude to state an opinion that differs from the mainstream. I'm done on the topic; this will not turn into one of those back and forth "yes you are no I'm not" that occurs so often here and on most internet discussion sites. Good day to you.
    So easy for you to just walk away like that because you know you are wrong LOL I used to sit over there with those people and trade. I am not obese or tattooed. What I am is a Disney fanatic who enjoys talking and trading with other Disney fanatics. The only thing the people who trade pins are guilty of are loving Disney.

•   
    • Insert Hilarious Title

To me the modern world has lost something of it's civility, common courtesy, common sense and manners[...]
    Um...
    Feel free to add me as a friend on Facebook (Just mention MiceChat)

"The thing that makes us different is our way of thinking, our judgement and experience acquired over the years. Giving it 'heart.' Others haven't understood the public. We developed a psychological approach to everything we do here. We seem to know when to 'tap the heart.' Others have hit the intellect. We can hit them in an emotional way. Those that appeal to the intellect only appeal to a very limited group. Let's not let the mechanics get in here and foul the whole thing." -Walt Disney

I bought a pin once to trade. Actually, I did it twice. Once with a CM (bought a cheap pin in the store then ran back to her to trade it for one I really wanted that she had) and again with a pin trader. I wanted one of his rare Stitch pins, and he discreetly told me that there was a pin in the store he'd be willing to trade for it. I spent the $12 and was happy. (Discarded the bag, card and receipt from the new pin before trading though)

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3456789 ... LastLast