Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678910 ... LastLast

• Parking Lot > DCA

Re: How long has this been OK?

Quote Originally Posted by Screwy Squirrel
    To me the modern world has lost something of it's civility, common courtesy, common sense and manners
    I know right? Someone actually posted this..

So many of them overweight to obese, tank topped, cargo panted... with toesnails, tats and underarm hair available for your inspection - welcome to the USA circa 2012.
    Talk about lack of manners!

• I am not a Krusty Krab

Quote Originally Posted by EC82 View Post
    In that case, I'll bring a box of old Disney clothes with me next time and set up shop outside Sleeping Beauty Castle with a sign that says "Everything $5!"
    And I'll be there for the lot its making Disney money and IMO unites us Disney nerds so i gots no problem with it

This is my signature, there are many like it but this one is mine, without me my signature is useless, without my signature i am useless!

"You'll need a Boesky, a Jim Brown, a Miss Daisy, two Jethro's, a Leon Spinx, not to mention the biggest Ella Fitzgerald ever."

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Screwy Squirrel View Post
    I agree with you. On Sundays in the park before the revamp of the AP processing center to a restaurant, all the tables would be taken by 9am by traders and they'd be there all day. Selling or not, it looked exactly like a pin swap meet. Giant bags of fast food and soft drinks of course on the tables. As to the ruffian comment, I agree with that too. But the general retort here that they look no different than average park guests isn't too far from accurate either. I suspect you, like me, are of an age where most large modern crowds look like... ruffians. So many of them overweight to obese, tank topped, cargo panted... with toesnails, tats and underarm hair available for your inspection - welcome to the USA circa 2012.
    Wow.... even I fit several of those descriptions.... I guess even I'm a ruffian who shouldn't be allowed in the park....

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

• I am not a Krusty Krab

Quote Originally Posted by EC82 View Post
    "Gruff looking ruffians" is an insult? Geez. I didn't know people were SO touchy here. Wait. That's probably an insult, too?

These are grown adults who sit there all day with the sole purpose of trading pins or (out in DDD) Vinylmation. So, next time I go to Disneyland and I bring a bunch of plastic bags filled with my Disney memorabilia and I tell people I'm only "trading" it, that will be OK, correct?

What if I want to bring some sandwiches in and say I'm only trading them for other items, not selling them?

Is that OK?

I'd be ALL for this type of pin trading if there were a nice set of tables inside a building somewhere away from guests. Maybe Disney should accommodate this kind of activity inside Aladdin's Oasis?

Just a thought.

Look, there is sanctioned Disney activity like cast members dressed in costume who are filling a role, then there are people who come in t-shirts with plastic bags filled with merchandise who are just there to trade things. That seems completely out of place to me. But, hey, apparently I am being too sensitive and unmagical. (Yes, I just insulted MYSELF!)

Again, I just think this kind of activity brings Disneyland down to the level of a swap meet, but since they also freely allow outside food in the park now so people can camp out on benches and eat their picnics in the middle of Disneyland, I guess anything goes.

Actually ... couldn't they reopen the picnic area as a pin-trading area?
    Im not even gonna bother going through how wrong your statement was because i dont wanna be banned but hunny some locals like myself only go to Disneyland to walk, to each, to watch a show then go home. If theyre enjoying themselves why insult them. Disney puts those gltables out there for pins, leave it at that, no you may not trade food or other merchandise there, its for pins so in short: mind your own business and and enjoy your day!!! Sorry but thats the nicest way i can put it

This is my signature, there are many like it but this one is mine, without me my signature is useless, without my signature i am useless!

"You'll need a Boesky, a Jim Brown, a Miss Daisy, two Jethro's, a Leon Spinx, not to mention the biggest Ella Fitzgerald ever."

• The Sea Monster Fangirl

California (20 minutes away from the happiest place on Earth)

Well, if Disney would give us pin traders nicer tables and umbrellas and actually provide decent chairs, the trading stations wouldn't look like swap meets. Don't be mad at us for trying to make do with what we're given.

I'm surprised Disney hasn't come out with their own brand of carrying cases for Vinylmation fans. We pin traders get oodles of nice lanyards, pouches, and bags for our stuff while Vinyl folks get zip.

As to the current fashion trend of the common park Guest, I wouldn't mind if we brought back the 50s and dressed properly for an outing to Disneyland. But sadly in this era of Six Flags-type thrill rides and axing of nice leisure rides (like the Peoplemover), people are going to dress more and more casually. I'm not a big fan of the Walmart look, but what can we do? Disney doesn't care as long as they get their money at the end of the day.

Quote Originally Posted by christianAdam View Post
    a gentlemen had his book out and there was a kid there, couldn't be more than 12 or 13 and was super excited about getting a certain pin. He asked the gentlemen about trading so he looked at the kids lanyard and I couldn't believe what came out of his mouth. He basically said "I don't see anything on your lanyard that I want...BUT...there is a pin in the store that if YOU bought I would be willing to trade you for the one you wanted" My jaw dropped...this dude was seriously hustling a kid to try and buy him a pin? When I asked him if he was serious he kind of shrugged his shoulders and said that what he does, I questioned if that's something that is done by a lot of traders and he wouldn't answer.
    This has happened to me as well. I don't know about the rest of the pin trading community (as I'm a newbie), but I FROWN upon this very much. If I don't have a pin you want, I don't have it, period. Don't go telling me to go buy a pin for you just to make a trade. Seriously, it's like a freeloader whining for some expensive super special awesome toy and expecting me to cough up the cash for it. I never had to deal with this when I traded Pokemon cards back in the day. Good grief.

• I am not a Krusty Krab

Eat* not each, cant edit from phone lol

• I am not a Krusty Krab

Idk how two of the same posts got there... :/

So many of them overweight to obese, tank topped, cargo panted... with toesnails, tats and underarm hair available for your inspection - welcome to the USA circa 2012.
    Yeah guys, I think we should all make sure we come dressed in tuxes and wedding gowns, and make sure we wear loafers and flats so we don't offend anyone!! Oh yeah, and let's make sure we're in the normal/underweight weight range.

Just curious, how is showing tattoos bad? It's art...

• The Sea Monster Fangirl

California (20 minutes away from the happiest place on Earth)

Quote Originally Posted by the mermaid View Post
    Just curious, how is showing tattoos bad? It's art...
    Actually tattoos are tribal in origin and were originally used to indicate status within a community and/or to show how many people you've killed with your hands.

But it can be art!

• I am not a Krusty Krab

Quote Originally Posted by TiggerHappy View Post
    Actually tattoos are tribal in origin and were originally used to indicate status within a community and/or to show how many people you've killed with your hands.

But it can be art!
    Youre awesome

Quote Originally Posted by christianAdam View Post
    The kid had plenty of pins to trade, the dude didn't want any of them. Obviously the trader had a plethora of pins in his collection, and would it really be that tragic to trade a pin to a kid (one that the trader had more than one of) for a pin that he probably doesn't want but knows it would make the kids day?
    The fact that the trader literally asked this 12 year old kid to go buy him a pin blows my mind. it doesn't matter if its a $2 pin...its not right my man. And lets be honest, with this guys extensive collection, do you REALLY think that he was looking for a pin worth $8?

Thought this was pin-trading...not pin-hustling.

Unless someone is buying a pin for themselves there should be no money exchanged anywhere when it comes to pin-TRADING
    I've got a couple things to say about this. While it's a great idea, and would be a nice gesture to trade with every kid that comes up to the table, it just isn't feasible. And the main reason is that there are so many counterfeit pins out there that are sold on eBay, that most of these kids have a whole bunch of pins, but they're all fakes. I'm sorry, and I know you'll think I'm being a grinch, but I'm not willing to trade a pin that I paid $6-8 for to a kid who's dad paid $20 for 50 bad fakes.

I don't have many hard to get pins, and if a kid has an authentic pin, I'll find a trade that works for them, no matter how much I don't like their pin. But if it's a fake, I won't trade.

As far as asking people to buy a pin to trade, I had a trader ask me if he could buy me a pin from the store and trade for one of mine as he didn't bring his to the park. I wouldn't flat out ask someone to buy me a pin, and I've only once been asked that, and I declined. I don't think it's very common.

However, you don't need to worry about seeing me taking up space at the tables anymore. The last time I was there, several pins were stolen out of my book when I had my back turned. I've decided not to trade at the parks anymore, so now I do all my trading online. I have found that by and large the pin trading community is a group of people that are real fans of Disney and Disney art. But like every group of people, there are some bad eggs.

•   
    • Minion

I suspect you, like me, are of an age where most large modern crowds look like... ruffians. So many of them overweight to obese, tank topped, cargo panted... with toesnails, tats and underarm hair available for your inspection - welcome to the USA circa 2012.
    Tattoos? You mean like these? Yes, these look like ruffians to me.
    Name:  7546-400x266-Marine_tattoo.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  24.5 KB

Name:  mattis-sleeve-tattoo.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  97.5 KB

This sense of "MY Disneyland experience is supposed to be perfect so I shouldn't have to see these and those people, doing this and that, here and there even though their actions don't affect me any way other than, gasp, forcing me to look at these heathens!!!." And how hard is it to just walk past the "ruffians" or the "outside food eaters" and go about your merry way? So much entitlement.
    In the quest for quality, I have no problem with the characters footing the bill.

Quote Originally Posted by TiggerHappy View Post

But it can be art!
    Hahaha!
    Of course we are talking about tattoos on "ruffians" at Disneyland, not how tattoos are used in tribes.

• Sock Puppet

No question in my mind that this sort of pin trading should stay outside of the park.
    Someone actually suggested that Disney set up chairs for the pin traders. Why? Disneyland is not a flea market or swap meet. Wear a lanyard or a vest with pins on it and trade away, but don't set up shop inside the park.

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678910 ... LastLast