Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 567891011 ... LastLast

Re: How long has this been OK?

Several months ago, I bumped into this indignant group and out of curiousity, we spoke with them about their pins. To make a long story short, one tramppy trader wanted four of my pins for one of theirs and were extremely rude about the "deal". So, as I have successfully done, I posted my concern on the Disney.com website and received a very interesting reply. Apparently, Disney has received numerous complaints and at that point and because of the complaints, they had removed these tradders from Frontierland to Tomorrowland and were working on the ongoing problems and issues received by folks. So, go to Disney.com and send your complaints, which Disney will respond to and take action.

I enjoy trading pins with cast members, I avoid the Tommorowland & Frontierland trading tables like the plague.
    Last edited by junkin jay; 12-06-2012 at 05:49 AM. Reason: wrong font

• Non-Minion

Yeah...you gotta be careful about us "tattoed ruffians" at the park. We are a lowly form of the human species not worthy of the great honor that is Disneyland. It's funny...as another poster said, most cultures see tattoos as a "right of passage" or a sign of great honor and respect. I wish America thought the same way about it. Before you go and make assumptions you should try talking to us. I can promise you we are some of the nicest people you will ever meet.Name:  IMG_0036a.JPG
Views: 132
Size:  38.2 KBName:  IMG_0109a.JPG
Views: 130
Size:  48.5 KBName:  IMG_0009a.JPG
Views: 132
Size:  39.3 KB
    "If you were thinking, you wouldn't have thought that"

• Sshhh, being very quiet

Wow did this thread fly off topic fast...

Quote Originally Posted by the mermaid View Post
    Yeah guys, I think we should all make sure we come dressed in tuxes and wedding gowns, and make sure we wear loafers and flats so we don't offend anyone!! Oh yeah, and let's make sure we're in the normal/underweight weight range.

Just curious, how is showing tattoos bad? It's art...
    Quote Originally Posted by TiggerHappy View Post
    Actually tattoos are tribal in origin and were originally used to indicate status within a community and/or to show how many people you've killed with your hands.

But it can be art!
    Quote Originally Posted by Malina View Post
    Tattoos? You mean like these? Yes, these look like ruffians to me.
    Attachment 25490
    Quote Originally Posted by christianAdam View Post
    Yeah...you gotta be careful about us "tattoed ruffians" at the park. We are a lowly form of the human species not worthy of the great honor that is Disneyland. It's funny...as another poster said, most cultures see tattoos as a "right of passage" or a sign of great honor and respect. I wish America thought the same way about it. Before you go and make assumptions you should try talking to us. I can promise you we are some of the nicest people you will ever meet.
    But I know they were all in response to this...
    Quote Originally Posted by Screwy Squirrel View Post
    . So many of them overweight to obese, tank topped, cargo panted... with toesnails, tats and underarm hair available for your inspection - welcome to the USA circa 2012.
    Pretty big brush used to make that sweep...

But back to pins..as someone else said, I avoid the tables and actually never buy pins anymore. My son still likes to trade occassionaly but I only allow him to trade with CM's. I used to collect and trade ALOT about 5 years ago then realized it was getting to expensive and scrappers were just starting to make their appearances back then. Now, scrappers are everywhere and unless I buy the occacional pin in the parks or from someone I know..I never buy anywhere else. I really did love my shinies though...some where really well done.

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Meryl View Post
    Several months ago, I bumped into this indignant group and out of curiousity, we spoke with them about their pins. To make a long story short, one tramppy trader wanted four of my pins for one of theirs and were extremely rude about the "deal". So, as I have successfully done, I posted my concern on the Disney.com website and received a very interesting reply. Apparently, Disney has received numerous complaints and at that point and because of the complaints, they had removed these tradders from Frontierland to Tomorrowland and were working on the ongoing problems and issues received by folks. So, go to Disney.com and send your complaints, which Disney will respond to and take action.

You should post the response you got from Disney here. I would be interested in seeing it since I am one of the horrible people that is being referenced here. honestly for any of you who think we are bad people just try to tak to us ask us about our pins. if you run into me you will be nothing short of smiling. i can tell you where I got each pin I have in my trading books and what it means to me. I have a passion for pin trading and Disney nothing wrong with that in my opinion.

• Sshhh, being very quiet

Quote Originally Posted by biggsworth View Post
    You should post the response you got from Disney here. I would be interested in seeing it since I am one of the horrible people that is being referenced here. honestly for any of you who think we are bad people just try to tak to us ask us about our pins. if you run into me you will be nothing short of smiling. i can tell you where I got each pin I have in my trading books and what it means to me. I have a passion for pin trading and Disney nothing wrong with that in my opinion.

awww...I may step out and come by and see you.

I don't think Meryl was referring to you specifically. He said "one trampy trader". But I can see how one can ruin the lot.

And for the record, I avoid the traders not because I think they are horrible, but because I'm in awe at how many pins they really have and also because I don't have the time to sit and look at them. And I know if I start looking at all their shinies... I will want to start buying and Buying and BUYING!
    So I usually just pass by.

But I'll come by to see you

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Meryl View Post
    Thanks for an excellent post, and kudos to Disney management for taking steps to deal with this problem.

Quote Originally Posted by OliviaVonDrake View Post
    No question in my mind that this sort of pin trading should stay outside of the park. Someone actually suggested that Disney set up chairs for the pin traders. Why? Disneyland is not a flea market or swap meet. Wear a lanyard or a vest with pins on it and trade away, but don't set up shop inside the park.
    Bingo.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Parking Lot > DCA

Quote Originally Posted by biggsworth View Post
    There is nothing wrong with that, and in my opinion there is nothing wrong with trading or the areas Disney has set up although I'd probably prefer them to be outside of the park if I had a choice. It doesn't really bother me either way. The only issue I can see is the few in the bunch that may cause some waves, which in turn can bring the whole group down. I'm sure if Disney gets enough complaints they will have no issue just removing the trading areas completely (in fact, someone said that about WDW doing that in this thread I think too). The same can be said about any group of collectors/fans/traders/what have you really, but we are talking about pin trading specifically here.

I'm sure the good outweigh the bad here, and hopefully the good can put a stop to the bad when they see it happening. The few comments in here about the "look" of the average pin trader is strange though. I don't understand what would possess someone to not only categorize a whole group of people they've never met, but to even care so much as to have an opinion on it.

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by clara View Post
    awww...I may step out and come by and see you.

I don't think Meryl was referring to you specifically. He said "one trampy trader". But I can see how one can ruin the lot.

And for the record, I avoid the traders not because I think they are horrible, but because I'm in awe at how many pins they really have and also because I don't have the time to sit and look at them. And I know if I start looking at all their shinies... I will want to start buying and Buying and BUYING!
    So I usually just pass by.

But I'll come by to see you

Oh I didn't take it personal I just find the generalization funny

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft16 View Post
    You do realize you are playing right in to Disney's hands right? Their more or less stated intent is to get people to not renew. Maybe you should all renew just to spite them?

You also do realize that the pin traders are a loyal fan base right? And you also do realize that Disney views the loyal fan base as those who return, not those who quit and stop coming right?

Just checking.
    Post of the thread...so far. I'm still reading.

Find our trip report videos on Youtube at FreshBakedDisney. Find our blog at www.freshbakeddisney.com.

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft16 View Post
    More than likely, but even that has fatal flaws. People camping out for hours waiting for a ride to open? People waiting for signing events in the parks? People sitting on benches in the hub doing nothing at all? Can you really draw a line on when not moving inside a Disney park becomes wrong?
    One could go so far as to say that standing around and waiting at Disneyland is a national pastime.

Find our trip report videos on Youtube at FreshBakedDisney. Find our blog at www.freshbakeddisney.com.

So some of the vitriol I've read in this thread really makes me sad. Especially when it's being expressed surrounding a place that is meant to embrace happiness and tolerance. One thing I often try to remind the people I come in contact with is that we are all different, and we are all walking our own path.

To try to expect people to think like you is no different than trying to get them to look like you or act like you. With just a little imagination and careful thought, one can quickly understand that this is IMPOSSIBLE. Our impressions and interpretations of things around us are going to be different, and seen through a many and varied prism.

You don't have to like or understand everything you see. I don't get pin trading myself. I also don't understand country music, tomatoes, or reality television. But it costs me or anyone else NOTHING to move along without having to go bananas on people. It costs me NOTHING to be nice.

/soapbox

• Parking Lot > DCA

Quote Originally Posted by FreshBakedDisney View Post
    I also don't understand country music, tomatoes, or reality television.
    +1!

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

I love making fun of people for how they look. That being said, pin traders don't bug me mainly because I have zero interest in trading pins. They aren't trying to lure my into their pin trading lair so have at it.

Plus, they look much like anyone else in the park. Now making fun of someone for lugging 50 pounds of pointed metal into the park is fair game.

Quote Originally Posted by EC82 View Post
    Last week, I went to Disneyland. At the bag-check area, the person in front of me had a backpack FILLED with food and drinks. They got right through. I saw people on the ground waiting for the parade with KFC boxes. It seems there are LOTS of violations of this particular rule.

Why does this bother people so much? I don't get it.

What's the difference if they were sitting there with corn dogs, churros and popcorn bought from Disneyland? In both cases, the family is sitting there having a picnic eating food. But if they bring in KFC, they save themselves a good amount of money and have more to eat.

Unless you actually lose money (i.e. a Disney shareholder), why do you care so much if other people bring in food? Does it just seem too "low class" to you?

I can assure you, even "high class" people with plenty of money bring in food because they understand economics and the value proposition of something.

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 567891011 ... LastLast