Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast

• Mouse Maniac

Re: How long has this been OK?

Quote Originally Posted by EC82 View Post
    You're all right. I'm wrong. Disney should, when you think about it, set up a swap meet in the Esplanade.

Years ago, Disney let slip its prohibition on outside food. Now I literally see families set up with picnics on the ground in the hub and along the parade routes. People come JUST to set up shop to wait all day to see Fantasmic. They spend all day trading pins.

THERE IS NOTHING INHERENTLY WRONG WITH THESE ACTIVITIES. The sensitive-types are completely misreading my initial comments.

But Disneyland is supposed to be idealized, is supposed to be perfect, is supposed to be squeaky clean, is supposed to be a place that allows me respite from the outside world, is supposed to be a place where the outside world doesn't intrude.

Personally (and apparently I am in the minority) I don't like the look of a bunch of people gathered in a corner with plastic bags strewn on the ground as they basically do everything but shout out, "Pin trading here! Pin trading here!" It feels cheap and trashy and completely out of character for Disneyland.

But the great irony is that as Disneyland has raised its prices further and further and relied ever more on the annual pass program, it has turned the park into exactly the sort of locals-only carnival-type attraction that Disneyland was never supposed to be, staffed in large part by insouciant employees who, through NO FAULT OF THEIR OWN (I believe that, I truly do) have lost all sense of raising the bar of quality at Disneyland.

I'm off my high horse now. But I do think that those pin traders who think this is totally OK would be less happy about it if Disneyland was a twice-a-year treat for them rather than a once-a-week or once-a-month occurrence. I miss those days of feeling Disneyland was really special, and I guess the presence of people who just sit there and trade pins surrounded by trash (and I've NEVER NOT seen them surrounded by trash, I swear) just underscores for me how much Disneyland has really, truly changed.

I agree with everything you say.

• ~

Quote Originally Posted by bacevedo View Post
    Why does this bother people so much? I don't get it.

What's the difference if they were sitting there with corn dogs, churros and popcorn bought from Disneyland? In both cases, the family is sitting there having a picnic eating food. But if they bring in KFC, they save themselves a good amount of money and have more to eat.

Unless you actually lose money (i.e. a Disney shareholder), why do you care so much if other people bring in food? Does it just seem too "low class" to you?

I can assure you, even "high class" people with plenty of money bring in food because they understand economics and the value proposition of something.
    Outside food is against Disneyland's rules. From the Disneyland website:

"If you wish to bring your own food and enjoy an outdoor meal in an ideal setting, there is a complimentary Picnic Area conveniently located outside the Main Entrance to Disneyland Park.
    With the exception of food items for Guests with specific dietary restrictions, food or beverage items are not permitted into either of the Disneyland Resort theme parks."

People eating outside food should use the picnic area provided outside the park's entrance. It's not prejudice against people that want more economic dining options. There's a perfectly good area available to them that doesn't take up space for paying patrons at Disneyland's eateries.

• Parking Lot > DCA

Quote Originally Posted by gatheringrosebuds View Post
    There's a perfectly good area available to them that doesn't take up space for paying patrons at Disneyland's eateries.
    It has it's own vending machine too! The picnic area is a hidden gem!

• Mouse Maniac

I also don't care for the people sitting outside of D-Street with their cases of Vinylmation. It just looks tacky and frankly, creepy. And I myself, collect Vinlymation.

• Sshhh, being very quiet

"If you wish to bring your own food and enjoy an outdoor meal in an ideal setting, there is a complimentary Picnic Area conveniently located outside the Main Entrance to Disneyland Park.
    With the exception of food items for Guests with specific dietary restrictions, food or beverage items are not permitted into either of the Disneyland Resort theme parks."

People eating outside food should use the picnic area provided outside the park's entrance. It's not prejudice against people that want more economic dining options. There's a perfectly good area available to them that doesn't take up space for paying patrons at Disneyland's eateries.
    While you are absolutely right that this is a rule, unfortunantley it is not enforced at all. That is probably the main issue. So if rules aren't enforced..they will be broken.

• ~

Quote Originally Posted by clara View Post
    While you are absolutely right that this is a rule, unfortunantley it is not enforced at all. That is probably the main issue. So if rules aren't enforced..they will be broken.
    I just wanted to clarify that people who are against full meals being brought into the park aren't elitist snobs, it's actually part of the park's rules (whether or not these rules are enforced) and that there is a nice picnic area for guests who want to eat outside food.

•   
    • Minion

Keep in mind that even Disney officially bends the food rule. If you have food allergies or other dietary restrictions you are allowed to bring food with you because Disney cannot guarantee an allergen-free eating environment.

Food and Allergy Information | Guest Services | Disneyland Resort

Anyway, back to the pin traders. I'm sure there are some bad apples, as there always are. Complaints about said bad apples can help everyone - it can make the pin trading experience more pleasant for all involved and also send a message that bad behavior isn't tolerated. However, bad apples aren't indicative of the whole group.

I would like to think that 95% of those traders are people who have a hobby they absolutely LOVE and want to share with others.

• The Sea Monster Fangirl

California (20 minutes away from the happiest place on Earth)

Thus far most of the non-CM pin traders I've come across have been very nice and fair folks. Yes, there are the bad apples, but what fandom doesn't have them?

On the subject of pin trading amongst pin traders outside of the parks, I'm all for it. Saves me the trouble of having to get a ticket to get into the parks to trade with pin traders. If Disney creates a centralized trading station right next to the pin store in Downtown Disney, I and other pin traders would be grateful for it. But there is a reason why that's not going to happen and others have already mentioned it: money, money, money!

But again, why do people care so much about Disney's rule (i.e. it's not your rule to enforce or worry about). They don't enforce it, so it must not bother them that much. How does someone bringing outside food affect others so much that it bothers them? Why do others care where people get their food from? They wouldn't care if a family was setting up a picnic with food in Disney branded boxes, but if it says KFC or some other outside company, now it bothers them? I am just trying to understand why it bothers people so much when it doesn't affect them.

And back on topic with the pin traders. I never even knew this area or type of thing existed until this thread. I will say by the picture posted in the original post, it does look tacky for something done by Disney, but wouldn't bother me in the least.

• Sock Puppet

I've noticed this the past few visits -- squatters who trade pins and Vinylmation, turning Disneyland and the Downtown Disney area into a garage sale. I find it offensive, but Disney doesn't seem to care. How long has this been considered OK with Disney? I know the general low opinion of Disney management here on the forums, but are they really doing nothing about it?

Attachment 25297

those are pin traders, not squatters.

And Disney does allow this.And they won't do anything about it cause perfectly okay with Disney

• Sock Puppet

I was being sarcastic. I think it's an awful practice that makes Disneyland look like an ugly swap meet. Where does it stop? A bunch of gruff-looking ruffians who bring pins to trade? Seems weird and totally strips away what little "magic" remains.
    gruff looking ruffians? well COUNT ME AS ONE THEN! Because i occasionally will look at the pins the pin traders have, not that i pin trade anymore, but i used too. It's a hobby and passion for most Disneyland visitors from all walks of life. It doesn't strip away the magic not for the pin trading hobbyists.I used to bring my pins to trade, my lanyard is chalk full of pins!! And i got 6 more at home that are collectibles that have never been worn or taken out of the package.SO i guess that makes me a gruff looking ruffian nerd! LOL

anyhow..they have tables designated JUST for pin trading in Disneyland and all i can suggest is just don't go near those area's of it bothers you that much.. and i am saying this as nice as i can.

Quote Originally Posted by napamaninsocal View Post
    Thats the reason those tables are there, for pin trading.
    yep, like i said abovee.

Quote Originally Posted by Druggas View Post
    OMG. If you think those pin traders are ruffians, you should see those people at the hub on Sundays at noon.

Barbaric I tell you, barbaric!
    hahaaa Druggas, don't EVEN start with that..LOL

druggas is funny

• Senior Minion

I think it's an awful practice that makes Disneyland look like an ugly swap meet. Where does it stop? A bunch of gruff-looking ruffians who bring pins to trade? Seems weird and totally strips away what little "magic" remains.
    I couldn't agree more.

But again, why do people care so much about Disney's rule (i.e. it's not your rule to enforce or worry about). They don't enforce it, so it must not bother them that much. How does someone bringing outside food affect others so much that it bothers them?
    Why do people care about Disneyland customers who haul in their KFC and beach blankets and treat Disneyland like a city park? Why do people have a problem with Disneyland employees who don't care enough about their workplace to enforce Disneyland's own rules? Why do people think it trashes the ambiance of Disneyland, which once upon a time was so extraordinarily special and unique?

Like the man said, "if you have to ask, you're never going to know."
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

I think Disneyland is special and unique today, just as it is.

Find our trip report videos on Youtube at FreshBakedDisney. Find our blog at www.freshbakeddisney.com.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    I couldn't agree more.

Why do people care about Disneyland customers who haul in their KFC and beach blankets and treat Disneyland like a city park? Why do people have a problem with Disneyland employees who don't care enough about their workplace to enforce Disneyland's own rules? Why do people think it trashes the ambiance of Disneyland, which once upon a time was so extraordinarily special and unique?

Like the man said, "if you have to ask, you're never going to know."
    I have to ask you Mr. Wiggins, if you are so disenchanted with Disneyland, why do you spend so much time and energy here on this forum blasting them? I hardly ever see any positive posts come from you, just commiserating about how Disneyland once was.

And as for your first part - the beach blankets and treating Disneyland like a public park has nothing to do with bringing in the food. This can happen with Disney food - so it seems, it's not the food that's the issue, but people using Disneyland as a "public park"? What if someone brings in food and sits at an appropriate table and doesn't "picnic", is that OK? Again, someone using a table intended to eat food shouldn't affect you whether they are eating Disneyland food or outside food, should it?

• ~

I have to ask you Mr. Wiggins, if you are so disenchanted with Disneyland, why do you spend so much time and energy here on this forum blasting them? I hardly ever see any positive posts come from you, just commiserating about how Disneyland once was.

And as for your first part - the beach blankets and treating Disneyland like a public park has nothing to do with bringing in the food. This can happen with Disney food - so it seems, it's not the food that's the issue, but people using Disneyland as a "public park"? What if someone brings in food and sits at an appropriate table and doesn't "picnic", is that OK? Again, someone using a table intended to eat food shouldn't affect you whether they are eating Disneyland food or outside food, should it?
    A. Picnicking shouldn't happen with any type of food, period.
    B. People using restaurant's tables for outside food are taking up space intended to be used by paying patrons at those dining locations.
    C. In this park that's intended to be separated from the reality outside its gates, I don't want to see fast food bags all over the place. I'm not judging the people that choose to bring the food into the park. I only think that fast food is something so related to the outside world that has no place inside the gates of this special place.

I know that the third point is very debatable and more of a matter of personal opinion, but there are others that share this viewpoint. As long as the picnic areas outside the park continue to be available, I don't think restricting outside food in an unreasonable request.

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast