Page 1 of 12 123411 ... LastLast

How long has this been OK?

I've noticed this the past few visits -- squatters who trade pins and Vinylmation, turning Disneyland and the Downtown Disney area into a garage sale. I find it offensive, but Disney doesn't seem to care. How long has this been considered OK with Disney? I know the general low opinion of Disney management here on the forums, but are they really doing nothing about it?

Name:  photo.JPG
Views: 2827
Size:  192.3 KB

• Selfie Expert

Re: How long has this been OK?

Considering it is promoting the sales of Disney product, I don't see why the would have an issue with it. I've even seen it done inside the parks. As long as its confined to an area, and its not taking up valuable table top space during peak mealtimes, it doesn't really bother me.

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

In that case, I'll bring a box of old Disney clothes with me next time and set up shop outside Sleeping Beauty Castle with a sign that says "Everything $5!"

Quote Originally Posted by EC82 View Post
    In that case, I'll bring a box of old Disney clothes with me next time and set up shop outside Sleeping Beauty Castle with a sign that says "Everything $5!"
    I'm completely not sure if you're being sarcastic or not, but please be respectful of "keeping the magic" whether you agree with what others are doing or not.

I was being sarcastic. I think it's an awful practice that makes Disneyland look like an ugly swap meet. Where does it stop? A bunch of gruff-looking ruffians who bring pins to trade? Seems weird and totally strips away what little "magic" remains.

• I'm not really here

A bunch of gruff-looking ruffians who bring pins to trade? Seems weird and totally strips away what little "magic" remains.
    Gruff-looking ruffians? They look like 99% of the rest of the people in the parks on a daily basis man. Let's not insult people based on hair style, clothing choices, etc. You know nothing about them other than they enjoy pins.

You're going to let a handful of people tucked away in a disused corner trading pins ruin the magic for you? And yes, I say you are letting it. No one can force you to feel less magic, only you can do that. And "little magic?" Really? Do you realize that Disneyland itself is not magic at all? It is merely a stage. YOU bring the magic to the park. It is the child inside of you that you let out to play. If you chose to focus on your negative feelings about pin traders, etc, etc, they yes, you will feel less magic. Or you could focus on the positives and the things you enjoy and the beautiful themeing and the rides you love and the amazing characters and the sounds and sights and smells and tastes and laughter, etc and feel more magical than you have before. Trust me, what makes Disneyland seem magical is not the park itself or the employees or the other guests, but what you bring to Disneyland.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• I'm a fiddle player......

Thats the reason those tables are there, for pin trading.

• Banned User

I've never seen them.
    If they are just trading, I think it's ok. But the moment they put a price on something, they are violating a county ordinance, I'm sure.

• Sultan of Swing

I agree with I believe they set those tables for Trading along with the ones in Frontierland.
    Always read the fine print.

A bunch of gruff-looking ruffians who bring pins to trade?
    I don't really understand what you mean by this. They look like anyone else walking around DL. It's incredibly inappropriate to insult strangers based on the way they look when you are talking about pin trading, which doesn't involve the appearance of the person who is trading.

• Selfie Expert

Quote Originally Posted by DJS View Post
    I've never seen them.
    If they are just trading, I think it's ok. But the moment they put a price on something, they are violating a county ordinance, I'm sure.
    I agree in that trading is OK, but I don't think they should be selling. I don't think they are selling, anyway. My understanding is that they are trading, which is encouraged by Disney. If they were setting up signs like a "flea market" that would definitely be crossing a line, and as you said I'm pretty sure it would be breaking a rule of some sort especially within the parks.

"Gruff looking ruffians" is an insult? Geez. I didn't know people were SO touchy here. Wait. That's probably an insult, too?

These are grown adults who sit there all day with the sole purpose of trading pins or (out in DDD) Vinylmation. So, next time I go to Disneyland and I bring a bunch of plastic bags filled with my Disney memorabilia and I tell people I'm only "trading" it, that will be OK, correct?

What if I want to bring some sandwiches in and say I'm only trading them for other items, not selling them?

Is that OK?

I'd be ALL for this type of pin trading if there were a nice set of tables inside a building somewhere away from guests. Maybe Disney should accommodate this kind of activity inside Aladdin's Oasis?

Just a thought.

Look, there is sanctioned Disney activity like cast members dressed in costume who are filling a role, then there are people who come in t-shirts with plastic bags filled with merchandise who are just there to trade things. That seems completely out of place to me. But, hey, apparently I am being too sensitive and unmagical. (Yes, I just insulted MYSELF!)

Again, I just think this kind of activity brings Disneyland down to the level of a swap meet, but since they also freely allow outside food in the park now so people can camp out on benches and eat their picnics in the middle of Disneyland, I guess anything goes.

Actually ... couldn't they reopen the picnic area as a pin-trading area?

• Hooterville, USA

Much ado..........................

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• Selfie Expert

Geez. I didn't know people were SO touchy here.
    Welcome to MiceChat.

• Banned User

I'd encourage trading, and it seems there are tables for that. Trading encourages interaction amongst passionate Disney fans. It doesn't detract from pin sales, it may even give pin sales a boost.

personally, I'm not a pin collector, but I'm not offended.

Page 1 of 12 123411 ... LastLast